Value of: Varlamov to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Dude it was mentioned that Varlamov will only play in the States not Canada, Several insiders already said that. So yeah he wont waive for any canadian team.

Other than fan speculation, where have you read this? I ask, because I don’t recall any list ever mentioned on the Isles board.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Canadian teams would be on his list. But that’s still just speculation, I haven’t seen a report anywhere.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Aren't those usually kept private until traded?
Plus:
1647181272086.png

Reactions: doublechili

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I like how half a season of Koskinen will cost a 1st to dump but 2.5 years of an equally effective Mrazek would cost a 2nd to dump. Try again… that’s not “rational expectations”.
You’re expecting a Leafs to be rational, now thats a true violation of rational expectations

Reactions: zar

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Other than fan speculation, where have you read this? I ask, because I don’t recall any list ever mentioned on the Isles board.

It wouldn’t surprise me that Canadian teams would be on his list. But that’s still just speculation, I haven’t seen a report anywhere.

It wouldn't sur me either but so far all we know is Edmonton

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
It wouldn't sur me either but so far all we know is Edmonton

To be clear I’m not slighting Canadian cities by suggesting that I expect that he MAY have Canadian teams on his no trade list.

Rather, I’m of the opinion the primary reason SOME players don’t want to play in Canada is because of the media exposure.

With hockey’s lower popularity in the US and the Rangers the primary NYC metro team, I expect players who sign with the Isles do so for access to a major city and a small measure of anonymity.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To be clear I’m not slighting Canadian cities by suggesting that I expect that he MAY have Canadian teams on his no trade list.

Rather, I’m of the opinion the primary reason SOME players don’t want to play in Canada is because of the media exposure.

With hockey’s lower popularity in the US and the Rangers the primary NYC metro team, I expect players who sign with the Isles do so for access to a major city and a small measure of anonymity.

I know hockey isn't as popular in the states but I would suggest to you that if you want to be anonymous New York is the wrong spot.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I know hockey isn't as popular in the states but I would suggest to you that if you want to be anonymous New York is the wrong spot.
Long Island is actually pretty good at that compared to Manhattan. Theres enough rich people/celebrities around that you could live in the suburbs and no one honestly knows who you are unless they follow hockey. Plus it’s really a 4th sport behind baseball, basketball and football out here with 6 “local” (Jets/Giants playing in NJ forces the quotations) teams between those sports. Realistically it’s similar to the Blue Jays players living in the GTA.

Reactions: CupHolders

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Actually you’re wrong there, and it’s a common misconception of NHL fans outside of New York.

Hockey is less popular than some college sports even. As for the Isles, I think they still have only one full time reporter. Two if you count the athletic.

Islander players can easily spend a day/evening in NYC and likely not be bothered much. A New York Yankee however…

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Actually you’re wrong there, and it’s a common misconception of NHL fans outside of New York.

Hockey is less popular than some college sports even. As for the Isles, I think they still have only one full time reporter. Two if you count the athletic.

Islander players can easily spend a day/evening in NYC and likely not be bothered much. A New York Yankee however…

I figured hockey would be more popular in New York seeing as the Rangers are original 6 and the NYI were a Juggernaut in the 80's with 4 straight cups.

Although I still assume it's a little different for the Rangers seeing as they are original 6

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I figured hockey would be more popular in New York seeing as the Rangers are original 6 and the NYI were a Juggernaut in the 80's with 4 straight cups.

Although I still assume it's a little different for the Rangers seeing as they are original 6

There are a lot of hockey fans, but a lot of people in general. I live in a predominantly Ranger territory, and while some Ranger fans I know are diehards; for many, hockey is not necessarily their favorite sport. It’s more of support the local NYC team thing.

As for the Isles, the 80’s championships were always overshadowed throughout the NHL between two Canadian dynasties…Montreal and Edmonton.

Also Isles won their championships early then ran into ownership problems. In fact with the current owners, I think the Isles have now broken even with owners who have been incarcerated and those who have not. But the lack of direction lead the Isles fan base to not grow as much as it should have.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Dude it was mentioned that Varlamov will only play in the States not Canada, Several insiders already said that. So yeah he wont waive for any canadian team.
To be fair, many players having these 10-15 team no-trades ultimately waive. A lot of the time they’re on there for tax purposes to protect their wallet.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If Varlamov would ok going to Toronto, Mrazek would be a non starter coming in return. Too much term on that contract and even Mitch Korn can’t fix his game at this point.

It’s strange, though. He was good just last year for Carolina. Obviously they’re a really good defensive team but he shouldn’t be this bad. It’s probably mental.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It’s strange, though. He was good just last year for Carolina. Obviously they’re a really good defensive team but he shouldn’t be this bad. It’s probably mental.
Is it mental or is he just not that good of a goalie? I’m going to go with the latter. Varlamov has a better GAA/SV% behind a team that’s doing substantially worse.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I like how half a season of Koskinen will cost a 1st to dump but 2.5 years of an equally effective Mrazek would cost a 2nd to dump. Try again… that’s not “rational expectations”.
Where did I Say Koskinen would cost a 1st to dump ? I said it would cost a 3rd/4th imo in a previous post at half season. Mrazek has two more years but his cap is not that Huge. Could fit the bill for a cap floor team. If you find a 2nd too cheap the ceiling is Ladd who brought 2x2nd right ? So you really here to argue 2nd vs 2nd + 3rd ?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad