Value of: Varlamov to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Toronto Maple Leafs are a very very good team but they have 1 MAJOR, and no it's not the defense It's the goaltending.

For all the talk of Fluery to the Leafs, and that would certainly be welcomed, I would prefer Varlamov because he has a contract for next year.

I know Varlamov has a NTC but Toronto has a good reputation with Russian players so I think he could be convinced to waive his NTC.

This is the best Leafs team we have seen in 20+ years and it's being held back by goaltending.

With the way Toronto can score Varlamov could be the missing piece

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Mrazek would need to go the other way and likely would cost a 2nd to dump (maybe even more).
Kuemper got a 1st an ok prospect (equiv to 2nd) and a 3rd, so could see Varlamov getting a bit less, likely needs 1.2m retention so that it s a wash with Mrazek.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nobody is saying that the defense has no issues at all but it's impossible for the defense to look good when Peter Marazek is letting in that 2nd Arizona goal, or Jqck Campbell almost single handidly blows a 7-2 lead to De
troit which Peter Marazek almost finished off.

When you have Wayne Simmonds on video after the 2nd Arizona goal saying "you have to be f***ing kidding me" defense is no longer the main issue

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nobody is saying that the defense has no issues at all but it's impossible for the defense to look good when Peter Marazek is letting in that 2nd Arizona goal, or Jqck Campbell almost single handidly blows a 7-2 lead to De

When you have Wayne Simmonds on video after the 2nd Arizona goal saying "you have to be f***ing kidding me" defense is no longer the main issue

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Mrazek would need to go the other way and likely would cost a 2nd to dump (maybe even more).
Kuemper got a 1st an ok prospect (equiv to 2nd) and a 3rd, so could see Varlamov getting a bit less, likely needs 1.2m retention so that it s a wash with Mrazek.
I like how half a season of Koskinen will cost a 1st to dump but 2.5 years of an equally effective Mrazek would cost a 2nd to dump. Try again… that’s not “rational expectations”.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like how half a season of Koskinen will cost a 1st to dump but 2.5 years of an equally effective Mrazek would cost a 2nd to dump. Try again… that’s not “rational expectations”.

I don't think either guy costs a 1st to dump unless it's in a deal for Fluery but that's not a dump that's a hockey trade

Mar 26, 2010
Goaltending is exactly what the Leafs need. The D had been solid all season, no issues.

Toronto is the one City in Canada players will come to play. Biggest hockey market.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I can't speak for Lou but I am guessing they would take less value back if they don't have to eat any money. The big reason to get rid of Varlamov is to open cap space(ie say we can sign a backup for 2.5M this summer we gain 2.5M capspace).

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Varlamov would ok going to Toronto, Mrazek would be a non starter coming in return. Too much term on that contract and even Mitch Korn can’t fix his game at this point.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Unfortunately they’ve put themselves in this position and now probably have to pay the price. They almost have to make a move for Fleury or Varlamov, while at the same time find a suitor for Mrazek. Lou won’t be taking him. Hell, let’s call Holland… he may take him and not even ask for retention. He did draft him, and knowing Holland, he will justify the acquisition in his narrow mind.

I still find it bizarre anyone thought Mrazek would work in TO. When he’s on, he’s great but when he’s bad, he’s horribly bad in long stretches. When the pressure of being a number one came in Detroit, he flatlined. The man needs a therapist, because for whatever reason, when the spotlight is on him, he loses all concentration.

It’s beyond me how they allowed themselves to be in this position. Same goes with Edmonton. So now they have to pay the price.

After watching the Calgary game earlier, I’d much rather Greiss right now than either of the Leafs goaltenders. Sad, but he would probably give them a better shot. At this point, he’d probably cost the Leafs a 2nd as everyone knows they’re going to be calling and there’s not much out there.

Reactions: Brad C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad