Proposal: Varlamov for Koskinen +

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Not a fan of either team but this seems logical. NYI save 5.5M next year and get an asset (maybe a 3rd?) to take on Koskinen for the rest of the year.

Oilers get a starting goalie for this year + next at a rather cheap price. Win-win for both teams

thoughts?

Reactions: banks

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Not a fan of either team but this seems logical. NYI save 5.5M next year and get an asset (maybe a 3rd?) to take on Koskinen for the rest of the year.

Oilers get a starting goalie for this year + next at a rather cheap price. Win-win for both teams

thoughts?

Massive underpayment by the Oilers. Miko does need to come back since the Isles have no #2 goalie to step in but honestly he’s worth almost nothing.

Change the 3rd to a lottery protected 1st. Lou isn’t moving Varly except for an overpayment.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Doesn't sound like a win for NYI, who could probably dump that contract in the offseason if needed and get at least a 2nd back.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
I don't think it's a bad premise if the NYI are looking to shed longer term salary for more offseason flexibility this year and gain a pick.

If NYI aren't looking for more flexibility and space this offseason, then this deal makes zero sense.

Would assume it would cost Koski + 2nd/3rd for Varlamov.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I don't think it's a bad premise if the NYI are looking to shed longer term salary for more offseason flexibility this year and gain a pick.

If NYI aren't looking for more flexibility and space this offseason, then this deal makes zero sense.

Would assume it would cost Koski + 2nd/3rd for Varlamov.
The extra year left on Varly’s contract is an asset not an anchor. He’s signed for a reasonable and arguably attractive AAV for his talent level.

If Varly were to be traded the Isles would need a solid 1B goalie in return. But who and for how much? Considering the cost of a replacement, why do this deal at all?

I don’t think Lou will trade him but if he does, it’s certainly for more than a second rounder.

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
The extra year left on Varly’s contract is an asset not an anchor. He’s signed for a reasonable and arguably attractive AAV for his talent level.

If Varly were to be traded the Isles would need a solid 1B goalie in return. But who and for how much? Considering the cost of a replacement, why do this deal at all?

I don’t think Lou will trade him at all but if he does, it’s certainly for more than a second rounder.

Varlamov isnt bringing back a lotto protected 1st , lol thats totally insane

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
A decent prospect and a pick is a fair ask however, not Koskinen and future considerations.

I was thinking a 3rd and getting rid of Varlamov’s last contract year so NYI could allocate that money elsewhere would be enticing enough to pull the trigger. Koskinen would be a decent backup for the rest of the year and his contract being off the books at the end of the season give cap flexibility to Lou for this offseason.

I’m guessing a 2nd would also work for Edmonton, but if you look at Fleury’s trade last summer you gotta wonder if it’s just not better to pull the trigger now for Lou as he might be asked to take a contract back this summer for Varly’s.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I was thinking a 3rd and getting rid of Varlamov’s last contract year so NYI could allocate that money elsewhere would be enticing enough to pull the trigger. Koskinen would be a decent backup for the rest of the year and his contract being off the books at the end of the season give cap flexibility to Lou for this offseason.

I’m guessing a 2nd would also work for Edmonton, but if you look at Fleury’s trade last summer you gotta wonder if it’s just not better to pull the trigger now for Lou as he might be asked to take a contract back this summer for Varly’s.
What would the Islanders need to get rid of Varlamov for? He’s not a cap disaster and has been playing back to his old form the last couple starts which proves how bad this trade truly is. If anything, next season would be the one to move Varlamov if the Islanders are out of the playoffs.
Koskinen is anything but a decent backup unless you want a goalie who dives and can’t stop a puck.

Reactions: Magnifico

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What would the Islanders need to get rid of Varlamov for? He’s not a cap disaster and has been playing back to his old form the last couple starts which proves how bad this trade truly is. If anything, next season would be the one to move Varlamov if the Islanders are out of the playoffs.
Koskinen is anything but a decent backup unless you want a goalie who dives and can’t stop a puck.

That’s one way to see it. Another way would be that you’re allocating 5.5M to your backup goalie while you could have spent that money on a forward or whatever Lou feels there is a hole.

Koskinen would be a decent backup to Sorokin to finish off the year. Anyway, it’s not like this isn’t Sorokin’s team now. He’s your man moving forward

Reactions: Mr Positive

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
That’s one way to see it. Another way would be that you’re allocating 5.5M to your backup goalie while you could have spent that money on a forward or whatever Lou feels there is a hole.

Koskinen would be a decent backup to Sorokin to finish off the year. Anyway, it’s not like this isn’t Sorokin’s team now. He’s your man moving forward
I’d rather keep what we currently have then make a trade that benefits Edmonton and leaves the Islanders a lot worse off then before the trade. Koskinen as even a backup isn’t worth it and that mid round pick doesn’t offset that either. If Lou was to trade Varlamov, the return would be either a replacement for Nick Leddy (quality LH OFD) or a scoring winger who’s proven and not at the end of his career.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’d rather keep what we currently have then make a trade that benefits Edmonton and leaves the Islanders a lot worse off then before the trade. Koskinen as even a backup isn’t worth it and that mid round pick doesn’t offset that either. If Lou was to trade Varlamov, the return would be either a replacement for Nick Leddy (quality LH OFD) or a scoring winger who’s proven and not at the end of his career.
Varlamov is a backup with significantly worse stats than the starter. This trade does make Isles worse.... which will upgrade your 1st rounder. And, it clears out some cap space to be aggressive with in the offseason.

If you wait to get your next Leddy for this trade you'll be waiting a long while

Besides, this trade wont happen. This isnt a knock on the Isles. Koskinen has a NTC and he will only waive to go to a different playoff team

Reactions: ManByng

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Varlamov is a backup with significantly worse stats than the starter. This trade does make Isles worse.... which will upgrade your 1st rounder. And, it clears out some cap space to be aggressive with in the offseason.

If you wait to get your next Leddy for this trade you'll be waiting a long while

Besides, this trade wont happen. This isnt a knock on the Isles. Koskinen has a NTC and he will only waive to go to a different playoff team
Varlamov is a backup? That just proves you have no idea what you’re truly talking about. This trade does nothing for the Islanders outside of clearing cap space and creating another issue down the road. The asset added in on top of the AHL goalie is a crapshoot. Like I said, if the Isles were to move Varlamov the return wouldn’t be Edmontons goaltending issue plus future considerations.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Varlamov is a backup? That just proves you have no idea what you’re truly talking about. This trade does nothing for the Islanders outside of clearing cap space and creating another issue down the road. The asset added in on top of the AHL goalie is a crapshoot. Like I said, if the Isles were to move Varlamov the return wouldn’t be Edmontons goaltending issue plus future considerations.
You wouldn't be inheriting the Oilers goaltending issue. Koskinens deal ends this summer. You arent marrying yourself to him. And btw I didnt say it would be a straight up trade. There would be other value going to the Isles. What that value could be argued. I dont see the value being a Leddy replacement

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
You wouldn't be inheriting the Oilers goaltending issue. Koskinens deal ends this summer. You arent marrying yourself to him. And btw I didnt say it would be a straight up trade. There would be other value going to the Isles. What that value could be argued. I dont see the value being a Leddy replacement
What forward prospects do the Oilers have to offer to offset the trade? preferably someone with scoring ability that’s over 6’1.
The Islanders trading away a sure thing that they’re familiar with just to pickup a UFA goalie, forcing them to sign someone in the off-season isn’t helping at all. They lose Clutterbuck, Parise, Chara, Greene and Hickey this summer. Trading away Varlamov might look good in terms of cap space but it also leaves a gaping hole for a coach who likes to utilize a rotation instead of relying heavily on one guy for starts.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Varlamov is a reasonable contract but I don't think I'd call him "cheap". He is tied for 13th highest cap hit, tied for 28th in SV% and he's 31st in GAA.
He's miles better than Kostinem though.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing if the Islanders want to dump Varlamov to open capspace next season they could just trade him at the draft for a late 2nd. As it stands now we don't need the capsapce and I rather take my chances with Varlamov then Koskinen

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I am guessing if the Islanders want to dump Varlamov to open capspace next season they could just trade him at the draft for a late 2nd. As it stands now we don't need the capsapce and I rather take my chances with Varlamov then Koskinen
I don't see how Varlamov has that value. Cap space is at a premium right now more than it has ever been in the NHL. Varlamov is a 33 year old 1b goalie that hasn't been playing that well this year and is making 5m. Who will give up a 2nd for that? The only way you'd get a 2nd in the offseason is if you are taking at least 3-4m in salary back.

Islanders would be smart to trade him for a 3rd round pick and a cap dump that expires at the end of the year. A desperate team like Edmonton that needs a goalie and is trying to make the playoffs may be willing to do that. Koskinen should be an adequate back up to Sorokin for half a season, especially under a much better defensive team where he isn't relied on to be the starter.

Last edited:

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I feel bad for Oiler fans. So many proposals trying to get rid of Koskinen for minimal assets and no one wants him. All this while your season is slipping away and the best player in the world looks defeated. Every day I am becoming more and more convinced him and drai will we leaving sooner rather then later.

Oilers need to make a trade for a goalie and at this point who cares if they overpay a bit. Save the season and keep your star players happy .

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Not in today's salary cap world. 5m for a 1b is not ideal.

Allocating 9m in cap to goaltending when you are not getting elite goaltending is really bad.

Reactions: spaghtti

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Varlamov can still get a decent pick the offseason. Koskinen has negative value not zero value so the 3rd only offsets that value. Imagine what a contender would pay for that cap space.

Also Lou isn't going to do Holland any favors knowing the Oilers need a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad