Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I was listening at 9m last night on 650. I think the Lady running that show is quite good. They were talking Tennis and it sounded like she actually put some thought into what she was going to do today.

Much better than Pratt, Moj or Taylor joking about the 1980's and clearly out of the loop

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, the Patcast has become a disaster. It went from fun to dreadful in about 6 months.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Botch has shaved his hipster beard, and I'm guessing the headphones he had on for his Province picture. He does love the yelling crazily schtick more than ever and dropping as many f bombs as possible when on the Patcast. Now, back to Ian Clark.....

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I was speaking with someone from the Vancouver Canadians a couple of nights ago. Don't think this has been officially announced yet, but I haven't been listening too much... Vancouver Canadians will make the move to 650, but I think that was a given with who owns the station and the team. I was also told that this means that Rob Fai will be on 650 and could very likely end up getting his own show. In my opinion he is one of the best guys on the radio and one of the few that can hold a show on his own. Regardless of what time slot he's in, save for maybe the late morning show, he'd beat any other show on 1040. Much more level headed, keeps the conversation going... and is entertaining while not being a dinosaur. Hoping this is true.

It was announced in October. And yes to Rob Fai. Great move. Sportsnet 650 to broadcast Vancouver Canadians games in 2019 - Sportsnet.ca

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
good patcast. maybe it was cuz botch was a bit more subdued but it was a good listen. jpat keeps talking about the power of the pod, and then has gone after certain players throughout the year. i wonder when they'll realize the major source of the problems and actually start calling out green a bit more. botch did a bit in the most recent pod but i'd like to hear them hold TG just a bit more accountable.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Not sure if anyone else is watching this twitter fight between Botchford, Willes, and Chapman.

Makes Vancouver media seem like 12 year old kids.

Check it out if you haven’t. It was over a podcast about EP40 swagger.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I cann't believe the nonsense these guys got up to while Elias was away at the all star game. And to think it has already reached Sweden, sheesh. And the fans love the way Pettersson handles the media anyway.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
dan russell...if you're out there reading this. do a podcast. i'd listen to you and your guests. peak sports talk radio was awesome. pods are where it's at, radio is dead.

i've got sirius in my car and i'll never go back to regular radio and their 16 mins per hr of commercials. platforms like stitcher and tunein make on demand listening in the car or shop the shiz. bill simmons with the ringer network are good too. the athletic have pods yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
dan russell...if you're out there reading this. do a podcast. i'd listen to you and your guests. peak sports talk radio was awesome. pods are where it's at, radio is dead.

i've got sirius in my car and i'll never go back to regular radio and their 16 mins per hr of commercials. platforms like stitcher and tunein make on demand listening in the car or shop the shiz. bill simmons with the ringer network are good too. the athletic have pods yet?
No to anti Canuck Russell and his antiquated opinions which are not only terrible, but clearly self promoting. He was good in the 80's and 90's... he died a slow painful death in his job many years ago.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
No to anti Canuck Russell and his antiquated opinions which are not only terrible, but clearly self promoting. He was good in the 80's and 90's... he died a slow painful death in his job many years ago.

Yup, he clearly became anti-Canuck at the end....but maybe, just maybe if he has a podcast he would get back to his roots because he's not trying to appease rights holders or hold a grudge. Meh, who am I kidding, I guess his time has passed.

Besides, his show was good because it came on right after games. The days of the post game show are long gone.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Certain members of the media here love to make the story about themselves, and the fanboys on Canucks Twitter just eat it up. Botchford and the other clowns probably create more content about themselves than they do the team they're allegedly covering.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
This week is soooo looong (not good with this much freetime for the media ).

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Yup, he clearly became anti-Canuck at the end....but maybe, just maybe if he has a podcast he would get back to his roots because he's not trying to appease rights holders or hold a grudge. Meh, who am I kidding, I guess his time has passed.

Besides, his show was good because it came on right after games. The days of the post game show are long gone.
He was trash for a long time near the end of his run. Can't see him any better. If anyone isn't blocked by him, check out Lee Powell. Those trash takes is what you'd see in a Dan Russel podcast.

That and Denny's advertisements for discounts.

member 290103

He was trash for a long time near the end of his run. Can't see him any better. If anyone isn't blocked by him, check out Lee Powell. Those trash takes is what you'd see in a Dan Russel podcast.

Add to this.....Dan Russell has not changed one bit. Check his twitter - lots of Trump ranting and the usual fights with people about 3 on 3 OT being a joke, circus time, etc.

Has not changed one bit.

Reactions: The Drop

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

Lee Powell's transformation from normal radio host to where he is now is... well, it's something alright.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Lee Powell's transformation from normal radio host to where he is now is... well, it's something alright.

not sure if you watch the golf channel but peter kessler had quite the transformation too after he left. his twitter is a mess. not making fun of him tho, who knows about their mental state of mind.

Last edited:

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Add to this.....Dan Russell has not changed one bit. Check his twitter - lots of Trump ranting and the usual fights with people about 3 on 3 OT being a joke, circus time, etc.

Has not changed one bit.
I remember years ago turning him off because of was sick of the constant "circus time " catchphrase he always used. After about 3 years I tuned in and within 30 seconds it was back to that!

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Dan Russel was (and probly still is) a major jerk. He treated Pavel Bure with complete disdain when Pavel came on his show. He humiliated Brook Ward live on air one night, and there were many other things. But the topper, and the last time I ever listened to him again was when Greg Moore was killed in a racing accident in California. One day after the accident, Russel showed zero sympathy to Greg or any of his fans, insisting it shouldn't be considered a tragedy (Greg was 24 at the time), and basically said he had it coming. Biggest jerk in sports radio history.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dan Russel was (and probly still is) a major jerk. He treated Pavel Bure with complete disdain when Pavel came on his show. He humiliated Brook Ward live on air one night, and there were many other things. But the topper, and the last time I ever listened to him again was when Greg Moore was killed in a racing accident in California. One day after the accident, Russel showed zero sympathy to Greg or any of his fans, insisting it shouldn't be considered a tragedy (Greg was 24 at the time), and basically said he had it coming. Biggest jerk in sports radio history.

Yep. Not a fan of Russell. Hate the way he would just cut off any caller who disagreed with him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I didn't really listen to Russell back in the day. Occasionally from time to time.

Never heard about the Ward thing, which is odd given that the odd time I heard the show Ward was on his side about most things. Figured professionally courtesy between hosts would be not to embarrass a colleague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad