Vancouver Sports Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If only pratt was leaving too and moving to Toronto or anywhere far away from here

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Hopefully he can find a place playing music. Or if he can, retires. Like the guy but disliked his show, the best part being the awkward crossovers with Halford/Brough

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I tried to give the show a chance in the early days. I remember there was some decent(if you ignored the blowharding) discussion going on with Pratt and a couple of guests about Tyler Myers. At the end Bro Jake peeps up with a comment like "Boy that Myers kid is pretty tall eh?". From that day forward I refused to listen to the morning show unless it was a guest host.

I still don't know how they had good ratings, even after 650 came on board(although that morning show was bad too)

It's crazy, Vancouver had three all sports stations with barely enough listenable original content to fill half day between all of them.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Thank the good lord above. Listening to Bro Jake talk about sports is as bad as listening to my Mom trying to talk sports.

Good riddance! Let’s hope there’s a quality replacement.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well, this might be a great way to start off the new thread.

TSN 1040’s Bro Jake to make ‘big announcement’

And before we go crazy, let's not forget before being miscast at 1040 he was an extremely successful and popular broadcaster.
Agreed that he was miscast as a commentator on sports,but seemed to genuinely be a 'good guy'.(not arrogant like his sidekick). Best of luck to him in the future.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
He was hired because big advertising dollars came with him

But sports his not his thing. I believe he has also had some health issues

I would really like to have Jason Botchford get a shot at it. Pratt and him would be a funny duo.

Reactions: theoriginalBCF

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If I never have to hear "the champ" again that's A-ok with me.
giphy.gif

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Although I do still have a soft spot for Pratt just for the one story I remember him telling about his days at TSN in Toronto.

It's January or February. Middle of winter. Ontario's been ass-deep in snow for months. Sportsdesk is rolling, doing its thing. Then, they do a story out of Vancouver, and go live to the correspondent. He's outside in a sport jacket and tie: "Hi, we're coming to you live from the patio at the beach...!" He does his story, people in spandex are rollerblading by behind him, there's boats and windsurfers on the water, he finishes his story and goes: "So how's the weather in Toronto, guys! HAHA!!" The next day the word comes down from the TSN brass: no more outdoor shots of Vancouver in the winter. EVER.

I still chuckle whenever I think about it.

Last edited:

old ted

Jul 29, 2016
I tired of this guys shtick years ago when he was at 101fm. He's the ultimate name dropper ,and is always talking about all the swag he gets from sponsors. His potty humor doesnt go far either.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
I grew up with the option of listening to 99.3 the Fox or Rock 101 and Bro Jake was one of the best at that time but.... that was a long time ago. He was never able to adjust to talk sports. His questions were usually a long statement followed by "How cool was that?"

Having said that ive been to a couple of events where hes been there and the late 40-early 50 crowd loves the guy. They cant get enough of The Champ and at the end of the day he was able to bring sponsor $$. You cant listen to a segment without him dropping a restaurant or two and a couple of other names in.

Originally when he joined 1040 the show was very much his show with Pratt as the sidekick. Over the first year though Pratt was asked to do more and more.

I wonder how much 650 revamping their morning show influenced the decision ?

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
I grew up with the option of listening to 99.3 the Fox or Rock 101 and Bro Jake was one of the best at that time but.... that was a long time ago. He was never able to adjust to talk sports. His questions were usually a long statement followed by "How cool was that?"

Having said that ive been to a couple of events where hes been there and the late 40-early 50 crowd loves the guy. They cant get enough of The Champ and at the end of the day he was able to bring sponsor $$. You cant listen to a segment without him dropping a restaurant or two and a couple of other names in.

Originally when he joined 1040 the show was very much his show with Pratt as the sidekick. Over the first year though Pratt was asked to do more and more.

I wonder how much 650 revamping their morning show influenced the decision ?

The 650 morning show started to gain listeners the minute Steve Darling left. But it is really good because of three key elements. Consistency, guests, and content.

They do their "Under Pressure" game show regularly. Rick Dhaliwal is still one of the best listens because he is so old he's bad! James has to argue with him because his takes on sports are based on 1990-2010. So it is fun to listen to them argue. Finally they have 3 personalities that have reputable resume's even if you don't agree with them. They are respected. The guest respect them.

Bro Jake and Pratt were hardly respected. In fact I think most people hated Pratt so much that it never got a chance. The only way I listen to the morning show is if Botchford goes on it regularly. I suspect they give the job to Halford and Brough however and Pratt moves to the 9-12 slot with a new partner.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Good idea with Halford and Brough. I do also believe that Pratt"s time is also coming to a close at TSN 1040. I saw him at a Whitcaps game with his Partner

Man has he lost a lot of weight.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
I got to meet Bro and Sat last December 2016 when LA was in town with my Dad and brother. It was an absolute blast, the guy was very nice and Sat was awesome. He told us an old story about the BC lions and some teammates getting into a fight over another teammates wife and did the champ for us.

The best part was when I asked if Pratt''s on air personlaity was an act. They kinda looked at each other really quick and said..."well with Pratt...what you see is pretty much what you get..." then we all laughed heartily

Wish him all the best

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
The 650 morning show started to gain listeners the minute Steve Darling left. But it is really good because of three key elements. Consistency, guests, and content.

They do their "Under Pressure" game show regularly. Rick Dhaliwal is still one of the best listens because he is so old he's bad! James has to argue with him because his takes on sports are based on 1990-2010. So it is fun to listen to them argue. Finally they have 3 personalities that have reputable resume's even if you don't agree with them. They are respected. The guest respect them.

Bro Jake and Pratt were hardly respected. In fact I think most people hated Pratt so much that it never got a chance. The only way I listen to the morning show is if Botchford goes on it regularly. I suspect they give the job to Halford and Brough however and Pratt moves to the 9-12 slot with a new partner.

I am super happy blo jake is leaving. He doesn't have a clue about sports, has never said anything the least bit amusing and added nothing positive to the morning show. Good riddance.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Nothing personal against Jake either. He was good as a shock jock on 101. But as a supposed authority on sports he was a disaster. And the Champ wasn't funny 20 years ago.

member 290103

I remember driving to 6am hockey practice with my dad and listening to the Champ spots on the radio. Bro Jake is a legend in Vancouver, no matter what you drivetime radio chuds think of him.

Meaningless. The guy was entertaining as a drive time host decades ago on a rock station. That does not make him qualified to run a sports talk show. He demonstrated this every day he hosted.

Reactions: The Drop

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
I remember driving to 6am hockey practice with my dad and listening to the Champ spots on the radio. Bro Jake is a legend in Vancouver, no matter what you drivetime radio chuds think of him.

blo jake is an idiot, and the champ has never been funny, chud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad