Proposal: Vancouver - Montreal

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Xhekaj and Jake Evans for Hoglander, Poolman (IR/LTIR), 2025 1st, and an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Hoglander and his 24 goals last season is a cheap top 9 option at $1.1M. Agitator, high energy, offensive skill and could be a complimentary piece to the top 6. Also has breakout potential.

Canucks need a right hand centerman and some depth on the left side considering we are thin. After Hughes, it’s Soucy and Forbort.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Xhekaj and Jake Evans for Hoglander, Poolman (IR/LTIR), 2025 1st, and an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Hoglander and his 24 goals last season is a cheap top 9 option at $1.1M. Agitator, high energy, offensive skill and could be a complimentary piece to the top 6. Also has breakout potential.

Canucks need a right hand centerman and some depth on the left side considering we are thin. After Hughes, it’s Soucy and Forbort.
No, Habs not moving Wifi. No sense moving him now. His value will only increase over next few seasons

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander is not what the Habs need, neither is a late 1st or mid/late round picks.
Habs don’t need picks and young top 9 players? News to me. Aren’t you still in a rebuild?

No, Habs not moving Wifi. No sense moving him now. His value will only increase over next few seasons
Yeah I can see the risk of trading him for sure, from a Habs perspective.

Replace Xhekaj with Harris and you have a deal.
Barf

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Habs don’t need picks and young top 9 players? News to me. Aren’t you still in a rebuild?

Barf

We are exiting the rebuild. A late 1st is nice, but it's not what we need right now. We already have plenty of non-blue chip prospects.

Hoglander doesn't fit what we need in a top9 player based on our current core and prospect pool.

Jamaican Patty

Jul 13, 2023

Barf

I barfed when I saw a smurf was being offerd for Xhekaj. Habs need more size and toughness not less.

You don’t have to like the op’s deal but that’s just a silly response inserting Harris

Why? Habs need size and toughness. No more smurfs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Zero interest from Montreal.

Pieces offered don't meet any of their needs, while giving up two assets they do need/value.

Awful proposal.

You don’t have to like the op’s deal but that’s just a silly response inserting Harris
Harris instead of X at least makes the proposal somewhat realistic, though Mtl probably still says no.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016

I must be missing something Hoglander is a top 6 winger option now that he had a breakout season, a 1st is just that a 1st which GM’s covet.

Why would Vancouver give that up plus an extra mid round pick for a 3rd line center Evans that’s a year away from UFA and a bruiser defender in Arber Xhekaj who will likely end up on IR again due to his style of play.

Vancouver would be trading off Poolman on LTIR for Xhekaj on IR or LTIR.

I don’t see why Vancouver gives up so much value for so little value in return.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
This proposal is ludicrously bad for Van. If we are trading Hoglander and a 1st it has to be for a top of the lineup player not depth guys.

Hoglander is not a player we need.

He doesn't fit our team and would just end up getting traded.

Xhekaj is a kind of D we need.
Without question the value favours Habs though. There's no reason not to take that much value. You can sign bruisers in UFA every yr for peanuts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This proposal is ludicrously bad for Van. If we are trading Hoglander and a 1st it has to be for a top of the lineup player not depth guys.

Without question the value favours Habs though. There's no reason not to take that much value. You can sign bruisers in UFA every yr for peanuts.

Imagine thinking Xhekaj is just a tough guy.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hoglander is the best player in the deal here by quite a bit. And they add a first. This heavily favours the Habs… what am I missing?
they’re attached to Xhekaj and I can’t blame them.
I don’t see why Vancouver gives up so much value for so little value in return.
To clear some cap and get rid of Poolman’s contract to accrue cap at the TDL rather than using LTIR.

We also are thin on the left side and we are thin down the middle. We have 3 centers and Suter who can play center but ideally we would want a permanent 4C (that is also right handed) to play that position and have Suter where Hoglander would normally be which is up and down the top 9.

Value wise seems a lot on our part, but this type of trade further increases our depth at pretty much all areas of our line up. Currently, we have Hughes and then Soucy and Forbort. If Soucy goes down with an injury which is a possibility, Forbort is playing 2LD. That is not ideal at all.

And with Xhekaj there’s potential for more ice time surprisingly than he would get with the Habs considering Matheson and Hutson will be taking up a large portion of ice time.
I barfed when I saw a smurf was being offerd for Xhekaj. Habs need more size and toughness not less.

Why? Habs need size and toughness. No more smurfs
Don’t need “smurfs”? With Slafkovsky, Dach, Anderson, Armia in your top 9?
We are exiting the rebuild. A late 1st is nice, but it's not what we need right now. We already have plenty of non-blue chip prospects.

Hoglander doesn't fit what we need in a top9 player based on our current core and prospect pool.
Exiting the rebuild? I mean I get that, but it’s likely Habs still consider this year to be more of transitional year and you don’t necessarily seem to have many great options after Slaf/Suzuki/Dach/Caufield. If anything, the assets you would get in this trade can be used as additional pieces to go along with other pieces you have to get players you’d want.

And that defense is pretty log jammed as it is.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Fair trade. Not saying I’d do it as I really like Xhekaj but it’s a fair deal.

Replace Xhekaj with Harris and you have a deal.

If Vancouver really wants Harris they can just claim him when he hits the waivers. There’s a reason every Habs fan on the planet wants to trade the guy. He can’t even win a full-time spot on one of the worst Dcore in the league.

Also stupid question I’m sure, but what would Montréal have to give to get Lekkerimäki? I have a prospect crush on the dude, he’s gonna be sooooo good.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Fair trade. Not saying I’d do it as I really like Xhekaj but it’s a fair deal.

If Vancouver really wants Harris they can just claim him when he hits the waivers. There’s a reason every Habs fan on the planet wants to trade the guy. He can’t even win a full-time spot on one of the worst Dcore in the league.

Also stupid question I’m sure, but what would Montréal have to give to get Lekkerimäki? I have a prospect crush on the dude, he’s gonna be sooooo good.
Tbh no clue. In the event Lekkerimaki gets traded it’d likely be in a larger trade. Don’t think Habs have a need for him anyway, tbh.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
No from Montreal.
Why Montreal would be getting a middle 6 winger scoring option and a late 1st which could be combined late on to move up or acquire better players.

Evans is UFA a year from now and JackAss will end up on IR again they are dime a dozen players.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Imagine thinking Xhekaj is just a tough guy.
We're talking about trading a 1st, and a 23 yr old who had 24 goals in like 12 mins a game haha. Xhekaj better be a top 4 dman with upside.

Why Montreal would be getting a middle 6 winger scoring option and a late 1st which could be combined late on to move up or acquire better players.

Evans is UFA a year from now and JackAss will end up on IR again they are dime a dozen players.
You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Luckily the Canucks would never consider this disaster of a trade.

Ad

Ad

Ad