GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild: Feat. Moustache Miller

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Don't really agree. The roster had/has major flaws, particularly speed on the back end and decent penalty killers. I don't think they're quite as good as their record is under Boudreau. Their top players have regressed closer to norms but they've largely ridden hot goaltending. They look like a team that is around 12-17 in the league in terms of talent and have maxed the cap and mortgaged the future (in cap space AND assets) to be this. That is horrendous.

The players had maybe tuned out Green a bit, but I'm also pretty sure the players had lost confidence in the management and direction of the team and it showed. Like other professions that perhaps posters in this board have experience with, if the rank and file or key employees have lost faith in upper management and don't believe in them, it can affect motivation and performance across the board. They still put a shift in and work "hard", but results will inevitably suffer over the long term. I think that the change in management had as much to do with the turnaround as the change in coaching.

As for the AHL team, who cares if they're a top 10 team if it's almost all driven by a bunch of vets? There are maybe 6 young players (Klimovich, Lockwood, Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, and Silovs) that have even a half-decent chance of being replacement level NHLers, and maybe only 2 that have a decent chance of having any sort of lasting impact. That's atrocious for a team that has been a perennial loser for 8 years.

Your entire diatribe is incorrect when you consider Canucks record under BB for past 34 games. Canucks have performed like a top 10 team for almost half the season.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Your entire diatribe is incorrect when you consider Canucks record under BB for past 34 games. Canucks have performed like a top 10 team for almost half the season.

Lol you can’t just take the record they played under Boudreau and declare that’s the real Canucks. Dim Jim and FA just recently made that mistake by assuming the bubble Canucks were the real Canucks. They were obviously much closer to the Canadian division Canucks than the bubble version.

First, 34 games is actually a small sample size. Consistency you probably want to see it for a few seasons, or at least a full season. You don’t just look at 34 games lol. They are not a .600 team 😂.

Second, no one actually knows how they would fare if they didn’t have to try to dig themselves out of such a huge hole. Knowing this Canucks team, if we were comfortably in a playoff spot they very well could choke it down the stretch without the chip on their shoulder that they currently have right now. They are playing for their lives right now for the past 34 games and most other teams are not. Well vegas , jets, and Dallas are probably in playoff mode now as well but most teams are not.

Third, are you looking at the same roster everyone else is? This team blows lol.

And now we are not making it, we only have 3 or 4 losses left to give .

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A back to back game with travel from Denver sandwiched in between.....can't imagine the team got to Minny much before three or four in the morning. Another tough test for Demko and the Canucks.....but after last night's unlikely result against the Av's, who knows?

Seems to me that with the passage of the TDL, guys like like Boeser, Schenn, Pearson and Garland are playing a lot more relaxed. Canucks will have find a way to play it tight in front of Demko. The Wild have some serious scoring weapons.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
The only fun thing I remember about playing the Wild in the last couple of years. Is in the bubble when Fiala shot the puck after the whistle. And Sutter smashed him into the boards and the Canucks dog pilled on him.
I almost forgot about that foundational moment. And it was because he hit Markstrom too. What a goof. Myers hitting Keith blacked that out for me

Last edited:

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
You can’t tell me that you watched this team over the last 34 games and thought they were a top 10 team in talent. The underlying numbers back up this blindingly obvious conclusion. They have had great goaltending and some great shooting percentages, but they do not control the game like top team.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hopefully they don't follow up one of their most impressive efforts of the season with a total dud.

Anyone remember when we had one of the best teams in franchise history, backed by Luongo in net, but any trip to Minnesota was almost guranteed to end in him getting the hook and the team getting its face caved in?

Hopefully we built up enough karmic slack there to knock off the Wild tonight! Let's go, boys!

Damn I had forgotten all about that. Thanks a lot...

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Damn I had forgotten all about that. Thanks a lot...

Wasn’t just then too. Bertuzzi guaranteed we would beat them to make the WCF too but we got Gaborik’d and they made the wcf instead of us and got swept by the Ducks. Lol

While the ducks very well could have swept us too but I think if we were going to fluke out ala Boston or Carolina that was one of the years. But devils probably would have crushed us barring a Niedamayer and Brodeur injury in the finals though even if we got past the ducks.

im gangster

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I remember us winning a game at The Excel Center in the 2019-20 season...Marky was outstanding in the 3rd, and Miller played a dominating game...This broke years and years of losing in that building.

The Wild are a good team, and winning B2B is never easy...I'll be impressed if the Canucks can pull the rabbit out of the hat in this game.
The Canucks had won three of the previous four games played in Minnesota before the one in 2020.

896AC213-2150-4637-B729-A794F9CA23C6.jpeg

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Wasn’t just then too. Bertuzzi guaranteed we would beat them to make the WCF too but we got Gaborik’d and they made the wcf instead of us and got swept by the Ducks. Lol

While the ducks very well could have swept us too but I think if we were going to fluke out ala Boston or Carolina that was one of the years. But devils probably would have crushed us barring a Niedamayer and Brodeur injury in the finals though even if we got past the ducks.

I think there is absolutely no chance we beat the Devils, and we would have been hard-pressed to beat even the Ducks that year. Everyone talks about "what if?" regarding that year, but I really don't see it. Both teams got much better goaltending than we did, which is a huge part why people even talk about it as a "what if?"

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Every game, from here on out, is a must win. Already has been since December anyway.

Will update with line combos and general Canucks miscellany later.

It looks good until I saw Dallas up at the bottom of the Central.

Does the chart mean that the only team we can really catch is the Knights?

Reactions: theguardianII

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think there is absolutely no chance we beat the Devils, and we would have been hard-pressed to beat even the Ducks that year. Everyone talks about "what if?" regarding that year, but I really don't see it. Both teams got much better goaltending than we did, which is a huge part why people even talk about it as a "what if?"

As a former Cloutier apologist, I agree.

• Haha
Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
tbf, other than Dermott, this is a 99% Benning Roster. The Abbotsford Canucks are a top 10 team in the AHL which is also a 100% Benning roster. The player personnel wasn't the problem, it was the coach.

Benning did fail in other aspects though which was investing into player morale, facilities, management hires which also indirectly affects team performance on the ice.
They had the best game of this team's last three years vs the Avalanche.

The Vancouver defence better be fast tonight, Minny has 6 or 7 bruisers that hit and like hitting. If the team is lucky they will take it easy on a non playoff team.
BUT
Then again, they are still in a playoff race the Avalanche were not, they are basically just coasting now. We in Vancouver know how that goes, at least some of the older fans. When Vancouver had locked up a playoff spot early and had to go through the motions to the end of the season.

Last night was the best game they have ever had tonight might be the reckoning.
Demko needs to be careful.

Minny wins by 4

• Haha
Reactions: RutherPlan

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It looks good until I saw Dallas up at the bottom of the Central.

Does the chart mean that the only team we can really catch is the Knights?
Even if they catch the Knights is won't matter. 4th in the division isn't a ticket to the playoffs. Dallas can still wipe the Canucks final 5% chance

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad