After Ovechkin retires, how long until his number is retired by the Capitals?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
That would be awesome if ovie breaks the record mid game, they bring out a red carpet and hand ovie a mic so he can announce he retires immediately, his family joins him and the team presents him a plaque and golden stick, ovie skates off, they haul up a banner to retire ovie’s number and call it a day and Finnish the hockey game

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Depends on whether they want to wait until before or after he’s inducted into the Hall of Fame, and how many times they want to cash in on Ovechkin appreciation nights.

Yeah, they'll get a couple in there for sure.

Look how many the Lakers have had for Kobe now

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
They retired two numbers for him.

You can have a retirement night, team hall of fame night, HHOF night, number retirement, any anniversary of the Stanley Cup

They retired two numbers for him but he was still alive then right?

They've had multiple Kobe nights since his death.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ovie might go back to KHL for a year or two after his done with Caps. I dont think they retire his jersey before he quits hockey.

Would be sort of cool if they had Ovie and Crosby the same day.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Ovechkin is def not a great enough player to have his number retired league wide. Can we stop the pandering please? He has 1555 pts in 1432 games. I value assists to be just as important as goals. Plus I highly value how a player plays in the D-zone, which he was never great at. Plus he didn't play center. Scoring goals on the PP is valuable of course, but as a complete player, he doesn't cut it for me.

If Ovechkin's number is retired league-wide, so should Malkin's. His ppg is better.

The only active player right now in the NHL who should have their number retired league wide is Crosby.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Both Crosby and Ovechkin might as well have their numbers retired today but I think Ovechkin means more to the Capitals than Crosby does to the Penguins. The Penguins had Mario Lemieux and cups. The Capitals had neither. I’m not saying Ovechkin is or isn’t better than Crosby. As soon as Ovechkin calls it a career, is his number in the rafters right away?
Duh?

What kind of a stupid question is this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad