Vancouver Canucks - Improve or Regress?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Still looks like a team that will struggle to score goals when needed, specifically, on the PP and EP line. This core has been together a long time, and it's always been a problem, outside a couple seasons/ half seasons.

Too many are just looking up individual stat lines and thinking you can add that all up into an offense. This isn't fantasy league, sure as shit isn't baseball.

I prefer last seasons opening roster.

Reactions: PeteEakins

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Demko is a quality starter, nothing to worry about apart from maybe injuries

Maybe a slight regression on defence with the departure of Zadorov. Hughes-Hronek can compete with almost any pairing in the league. Soucy is a good second pairing dman, myers shouldn’t be too bad on the bottom pair, I’m currently blanking on their 4th dman but I think they have a solid dcore

I don’t think they got worse at all forwards wise. Kuzmenko -> Lindholm -> Debrusk is a wash at worst imo. Kuzmenko didn’t fit, Lindholm wasn’t the 70 point player he was before, and maybe a bit biased because he kills the leafs, but debrusk is a solid add for the LW, I’m guessing 2LW. I also dislike mikheyev for his insane lack of finish, he was a guy who should’ve scored 25+ year in year out with the chances he got but dude couldn’t finish to save his life, heinen was a .5ppg player for Boston and should be around that for Vancouver too, Sherwood should be a good add for the bottom six too. Miller is legit, he’s shown he is a 90+ point player and if Pettersson can stop with mid season collapses he is also a great player, boeser is a solid player too. They have a good offensive core

I’d expect a 105ish point finish next season give or take a few points.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I feel they'll regress to the means (if that's the right phrase to use). I feel they over performed a bit last year but are still better than most teams in their division. I feel division won't be as exploitable for this year either which will bring their points total down.

109 pts and a division title was a bit of an over achievement.

102 points and a 2nd-3rd division finish seems reasonable.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nobody, because the person they were quoting said that the upcoming year's opening night roster was arguably worse than last year's opening season roster.

We can't compare mid season rosters because the Canucks haven't made any mid-season deals yet.
Not to mention, our wingers are significantly improved across the board

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
You clearly dont watch Canucks unless you think Ian Cole and Kuzmenko are superstar players that will be missed while Canucks only added 10 players in the off season which adds to nothing 🤣

They are a playoff team regardless, unless you think Flames will go into playoffs. Vegas was last in conference last year and are even worst this year. LA is not that great and they keep playing theor boring 1-3-1 style and will lose again in playoffs against the Oil. The only team that makes the pacific division is Canucks and Oilers.
My comment was more of a joke against what Rutherford said going into the season

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who replaced Lindholm and Zadorov?
Lindholm replaced Kuzmenko, so DeBrusk is the Lindholm replacement, even though they ended up playing different positions.

Lindholm was brought in to play with Pettersson the same way both of those two were/are expected to. Even though he ended up clicking more with the third line.

I actually would not even make the mid-season pickup argument with that one like others are, personally.

Zadorov is really the only notable hole that would have to similarly be filled mid-season. One could argue Cole, but honestly, he was underwhelming enough that you could argue that Desharnais could sufficiently take his place.

Last edited:

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It largely depends on how they load manage Demko for a long playoff run. I dont mind if they end up being a 3rd or 4th seed. the team is coached well with complete buy in, it just depends on injury luck. they were relatively injury free last year minus Demko.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
When you reach the grade where they teach you about time-zones things might slide into place for you.
Made a comment about timezones and your burn is that I don't know about timezones? Sure. The ratio of Canucks fans to others in this thread is pretty humourous. Couple more hours and you guys can argue against nobody about how great your team is again.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Made a comment about timezones and your burn is that I don't know about timezones? Sure. The ratio of Canucks fans to others in this thread is pretty humourous. Couple more hours and you guys can argue against nobody about how great your team is again.
Yep. And when you goto bed we all talk about how we should have a captains skate early in the season and come up with a cool motto like CUP OR BUST!!!!!!

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Regress, and no the division didn't get weaker. Sharks are gonna be a lot better this year, still a gutter team, but not historically bad. A healthy Anaheim Ducks team should actually be pretty decent IMO. Seattle slightly improved, Vegas and LA I see around the same, I actually don't think the Kings make the playoffs again. Flames are the only team I'd say got worse within the division. The division overall is still weak comparatively speaking so the Nucks make the playoffs, but I don't see them as a top team like they were last year.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
The team looks as good or better on paper, but they likely regress a bit, points-wise. I know it turned into a big joke, but their PDO really was absurd in the first half. If Petey earns his bag and Demko/Hughes/Miller all stay healthy, could be a ~110pt team again. Most likely, shit will happen and they'll finish with 95-100.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would guess 100 or so points.

It's a top driven lineup though so an injury or two to key players and they suddenly could look really bad.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I say they regress in points to the 100-105 range. But Pettersson should regress back to the mean in terms of picking up his game to offset some of the negative regression the rest of the lineup will likely endure.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Who replaced Lindholm and Zadorov?
They weren’t on the team to start, he is comparing apples to apples to start the year. Allvin will certainly make adds a a we go through this year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad