Proposal: EDM-UTA -CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
And Savoie's value when drafted was as high if not higher than T Iginla.
And Oilers could've been forced to pay a 4th to a club to take McLeod at full cap hit due to its cap crunch ala Ceci trade.
Savoie was a steal for Oilers.
Where players were drafted has zero value.

Your evaluation of McLeod speaks to that.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I think you're fooling yourself if you don't think draft position has value amongst league executives.
He was just traded and the best he could bring back was, as i was told, an overpaid McLeod. That's his value. If his daft spot influenced that then his actual value is very little.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He was just traded and the best he could bring back was, as i was told, an overpaid McLeod. That's his value. If his daft spot influenced that then his actual value is very little.
Interesting logic especially coming from a Jets fan. As if there aren't multiple factors behind trades. GMs trading from positions of strength to fill holes. Even BUF fans would agree that they should've gotten more for Savoie.

I guess looking back Jets probably got fair value for Laine, Trouba and others who wanted to bolt.
McGroaty could've very well had gone to BUF for Savoie and no one would've had an issue.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Interesting logic especially coming from a Jets fan. As if there aren't multiple factors behind trades. GMs trading from positions of strength to fill holes. Even BUF fans would agree that they should've gotten more for Savoie.

I guess looking back Jets probably got fair value for Laine, Trouba and others who wanted to bolt.
McGroaty could've very well had gone to BUF for Savoie and no one would've had an issue.
I think you are going to have to explain what you are talkng about. This is gibberish. What does Savoie have to do with Laine, Trouba or "others"? You think Savoie=McGroarty? If you made that a poll it would get shut down in a minute because it would be so lopsided in McGroarty's favor. You think Jets fans would have taken McLeod over Yager? There has to be some sort of explanation how you arrive at any of this non sense.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think you are going to have to explain what you are talkng about. This is gibberish. What does Savoie have to do with Laine, Trouba or "others"? You think Savoie=McGroarty? If you made that a poll it would get shut down in a minute because it would be so lopsided in McGroarty's favor. You think Jets fans would have taken McLeod over Yager? There has to be some sort of explanation how you arrive at any of this non sense.
My point is that it is all nonsense and unknown when it comes to prospects. And yes I can easily claim that value of Savoie of last month was equal or better than McGroaty and/or Yager.

He is useless now that he is an Oilers property.

The mention of Laine, Trouba etc was due to your notion that there are no other factors when a trade is made thus value must equal.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
My point is that it is all nonsense and unknown when it comes to prospects. And yes I can easily claim that value of Savoie of last month was equal or better than McGroaty and/or Yager.

He is useless now that he is an Oilers property.

The mention of Laine, Trouba etc was due to your notion that there are no other factors when a trade is made thus value must equal.
Well, you can go ahead and think what you want. This is so far from reality it's not even worth a discussion.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As I understand it, the plan is to have Tij move to center in Kelowna. He's played C growing up. How well that transition back to center goes, only time will tell.
He started there in Kelowna and was terrible. Like trending to be a 3rd or 4th round pick and that only because of the last name terrible. He doesn't have a center skill set. I'm not sure Lindstrom is a center either, but he has a chance. No chance Tij does. Catton was the only high end WHLer I'm sure will play C at the NHL level. He's kind of a Brayden Point/Clayton Keller hybrid.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
He started there in Kelowna and was terrible. Like trending to be a 3rd or 4th round pick and that only because of the last name terrible. He doesn't have a center skill set. I'm not sure Lindstrom is a center either, but he has a chance. No chance Tij does. Catton was the only high end WHLer I'm sure will play C at the NHL level. He's kind of a Brayden Point/Clayton Keller hybrid.
Time will tell - he'll play C in junior to be sure. Long term in the NHL? That has yet to be determined.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Time will tell - he'll play C in junior to be sure. Long term in the NHL? That has yet to be determined.
If you watch him it's pretty obvious he won't plat C as a pro. The skill set is pure wing.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
If you watch him it's pretty obvious he won't plat C as a pro. The skill set is pure wing.
Kid just turned 18, its pretty early to define what he's going to be going forward. He exploded offensively last year and its reasonable to expect that development to continue, albeit at a somewhat slower pace. Its also reasonable to expect he's successful in transitioning back to center at the junior level.
My expectation is he will play wing and center in the NHL, I'll leave the grand prognostications to you with regard to his "pure" skillset.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers should use those 1sts to sucker a rebuilding team to take Nurse
Nurse has a full NMC. He isn't accepting a trade to a rebuilding team. We have at least 2 more years with him, until his NMC becomes a partial NTC with 10 teams we could trade him to.

As per the OP, I'd give up those picks to Calgary for Weegar. Not sure why Utah is involved, but they might be the team least likely to do this. They obviously really like Iginla, and they aren't going to move him for late picks.

the Flames are not looking to move Weegar so to get them interested in moving them the offer has to blow their doors off. 2 1sts and a 2nd doesn't do it.
Going into training camp, I believe this to be true. Whether it is still true at the trade deadline or not, we don't know. Weegar might not want to play on a rebuilding team.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Iginla is just a prospect, a very good one but Calgary gets him for the low price of a little retained money on Weegar while Edmonton is coughing up picks?

Calgary wins big, Edmonton loses and Utah moves sideways a little down.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Utah? Gives away
Tij Iginla (LW) (6th OA 2024 draft)
for
2 late 1st and a late 2nd.
I'd say Utah loses big time.

Yeah it was a bad assessment, I saw 2 1sts and overvalued them, unless Edmonton starts to suck they are going to be late

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
:flames

:Utah

Matt Savoie (C)
1st Round pick (EDM, 2026) -no protection
1st Round pick (EDM, 2027) -no protection
2nd round pick (EDM, 2025)

:edmonton
Mackenzie Weegar (RHD, $5.75 Million AAV X4)
1 Million retained by Utah
Oilers and Flames make out like bandits, Calgary gets Iginla and gets to KEEP Parekh, Utah gets all of the Oilers very low 1st and 2nd rounders and gets basically screwed !! 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Kaizen

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Iginla is just a prospect, a very good one but Calgary gets him for the low price of a little retained money on Weegar while Edmonton is coughing up picks?

Calgary wins big, Edmonton loses and Utah moves sideways a little down.
NO, Utah gets screwed too. They've already have plenty of prospects. All the additional picks will create a prospect log jam and having additional does not help with trades if you have an influx of NHL-READY prospects. Who ever came up with this trade have no idea where Utah is at. This fan is looking forward when Simashev and But come over next year. Tij might be ready by then!

Last edited:
Reactions: ManByng

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
NO, Utah gets screwed too. They've already have plenty of prospects. All the additional picks will create a prospect log jam and having additional does not help with trades if you have an influx of NHL-READY prospects. Who ever came up with this trade have no idea where Utah is at. This fan is looking forward when Smashev and But come over next year. Tij might be ready by then!
Who are Smashev and But?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Utah easily says no. Two late 1sts for Iginla. Awful value for them.

Redo this trade by removing Utah and Iginla. Calgary won’t be getting him for this trash offer.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
:flames

:Utah

Matt Savoie (C)
1st Round pick (EDM, 2026) -no protection
1st Round pick (EDM, 2027) -no protection
2nd round pick (EDM, 2025)

:edmonton
Mackenzie Weegar (RHD, $5.75 Million AAV X4)
1 Million retained by Utah

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.

Edit: Some have argued the Oilers are giving up too much in this deal. If Savoie is removed, do we feel this is fairer?
I think that the Oilers need to add Draisaitl to this deal ;)

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad