Value of: Vancouver Canucks' first round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah as crazy as it sounds, there is a logic to it. Canucks are committed to trying to make this a winner to retain EP. If he walks they’re better to bottom out completely, Chicago style. Gamble with the 1st to fix the D, then sell the farm if it goes south — and recoup a lot of picks that way.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Trading 1st rounders before It's time is why Vancouver is in this situation.

Case in point OEL and Garland for a deal that included the 9th overall pick.

Anybody that knows me knows I like Garland a lot but that's not a deal that should have been made.

You might say that was different management and it was but the current management team also traded a 1st for Hornek.
That was a bad trade. Simple solution is to not trade the first for a dman who is highly paid and has lost his foot speed.

Sure, we must compete now to keep our franchise player. But there's no cap space and a protected 1st does not move the needle to get us a great player. No need to be desparate, we have a good looking team this year. If they are showing well and in contention, they will likely consider moving the 1st at the deadline to try to push us over the hump.

Pinto for 1st + Podz would be an interesting trade, not sure if Ottawa does that. Keep in mind we would have to sign him and we have no cap space, so we'd probably have to attach a Pearson or Myers, and Ottawa is fairly cap strapped so now your talking about paying to offload one of those players with our precious few assets.

I say stand pat and see what happens, hope for a good season and if they have really earned it, trade the pick at the deadline and try to make an impact in the playoffs.
Pod isn’t a toss in, and I don’t want to trade him.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
That was a bad trade. Simple solution is to not trade the first for a dman who is highly paid and has lost his foot speed.

Pod isn’t a toss in, and I don’t want to trade him.
Then we won't get anything we want now. Obviously I don't want to trade him either but our 1st will not get us a piece that moves the needle, straight up. Might as well keep it, or go all in and see what we could get for that package.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think this is a make or break year for the schmucks core so i would go for it. I think the pick would have good value.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Then we won't get anything we want now. Obviously I don't want to trade him either but our 1st will not get us a piece that moves the needle, straight up. Might as well keep it, or go all in and see what we could get for that package.
Rathbone, Hoglander, our First, Beau, taking in cap hit (assuming Myers gets traded). Maybe it’s a first in 2024 and a second in 2025, we have already seen that is enough for a top 4 RHD. Carlo out of Boston is the player I want, don’t think we have anything that would interest Boston, or Andersson from Calgary, I would only do Pesce is we could sign him to and extension first. I would include Pod for Drysdale or Bryam or someone of that ilk. I think the best Canucks teams have had a deep defence that can move the puck and support the offence and we are to committed to wingers.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Calgary isn't in the best of spots, but LA has shit goaltending and lost depth to accommodate PLD.

Edmonton has questionable goaltending.

Vegas won with questionable goaltending, but they don't have a star player, but they got a lot of good players and depth.

Calgary gets the Markstrom before Edmonton broke him, or Wolf plays well and they can potentially be a good and dangerous team. The problem is they brought in a coach that will likely run the same system.
Come on man. No. No they cant

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I don't know, man. I'm willing to do anything to ensure arguably the best all around centre this franchise has ever had stays here. If it takes going all in, I don't mind doing so. There are teams in the league that haven't had a centre the calibre of Pettersson in literal decades.

Might be more of a deadline deal, though, depending on where they are in the standings.
I don't think the 2024 1st is enough to ensure that EP40 stays in Vancouver long term. I'm pessimistic about the Canucks keeping him and would not only rather the Canucks keep the pick but I wish they still had the picks they spend on Hronek and had whatever they could have traded Miller for.

As unrealistic as it is to think they'd actually do it, since the summer of 2020 I've thought the Canucks should be planning for life without Pettersson. My guess is that his best trade value will probably be either at the 2024 trade deadline or in the 2024 offseason, so it seems to me they are best to wait for now. Trading him now probably gets a mediocre return and gives up any chance that they'll actually do well enough to get him to sign long term.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Good player but probably not worth a 1st for a rental, at least to the Canucks. If you included Tanev and we put in Myers, but yeah Calgary isn't doing that without another major asset going back.
But Backlund was 6th in Selke votes while Pettersson was 7th! Getting Backlund means you get more Selke caliber players on your team.

Selke!

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Hronek’s partner -> Olli Maata

Hronek returned a 1st plus a 2nd.
Maata would return a 1st plus (minus?) Myers.

Was a very good pairing. Pick would be protected. But even then, has more value then last years.

Saves canucks 3 mil in cap.

Last edited:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
My post was half Hronek trade comedy and half a good solution for Vancouver. I had read through the Myers thread. Most saying an asset would need to attached to Myers.

If van could lose Myers, solidify their 3 & 4 dmen, gain 3 mil in space I thought that checked all (some of) their boxes. No?

So are we laughing at the idea of it or it being worth the pick?

But yeah, I guess if you’re trading a 1st, you expect a sexier name coming back.

(Also, don’t worry much about the 1st. We’ll be offering that and a couple more back after the season)

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I would move it for shane pinto or byram + type player.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
But Backlund was 6th in Selke votes while Pettersson was 7th! Getting Backlund means you get more Selke caliber players on your team.

Selke!
Of course we want him but for one year its not worth a 1st unless we're killing it at the deadline.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I disagree. Vegas and Edmonton are better than the rest. Seattle has a good squad and a good coach. All three are significantly better than the Flames. The Kings look better to me as well.

I’d rank the Pacific in pretty obvious tiers.

Real contenders.
Vegas
Oilers

Playoff caliber
Seattle
Kings

Wild Card potential
Flames
Vancouver

Picking in the Top 5 in 2024
San Jose
Anaheim

The flames running back the same-ish non playoff same team from last year, which has some older key players in their 30s and several pending UFAs doesn’t strike me as any kind of platform for contending or thriving.
I’d drop Seattle in the ithe wildcard tier

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The idea Calgary has a winning team this year cracks me up. Their fans would surely be fine with it. They know a needed rebuild when they see it.

My laughing at your post is the idea the Flames think this is a year for them to go for it. With Vegas, Edmonton and LA clearly better than them… it’s wild card at best. And you’ll lose several UFAs in the summer of 2024 for what? Six playoff games. This is your close to best case scenario for Calgary this season. That’s a club that needs to be selling. Not hoarding.

Teams that look better than Calgary.
Pacific
Vegas
Oilers
Seattle
Kings

Central
Avs
Stars
Wild
Blues

Maybe the Flames beat out LA, Peg, Vancouver and Nashville for the last spot. Lose to Vegas in 5.
The Flames, just like the Canucks, have short sighted ownership that will never allow a scorched earth rebuild. Tough for the fans to wrap their head around but it’s the truth.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Flames, just like the Canucks, have short sighted ownership that will never allow a scorched earth rebuild. Tough for the fans to wrap their head around but it’s the truth.
I see it too. Two teams stuck in that 10th-15th overall pick purgatory. Even a good year is an 8th seed with a quick playoff exit.

Calgary needs some game breakers. Can’t usually get those with the 14th overall pick.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
I see it too. Two teams stuck in that 10th-15th overall pick purgatory. Even a good year is an 8th seed with a quick playoff exit.

Calgary needs some game breakers. Can’t usually get those with the 14th overall pick.
I live in Calgary, there is ZERO motivation from ownership to ever properly rebuild. They’re stuck in this fallacy that the fans couldnt/wouldn’t handle it but I think it’s just their confirmation bias for being worried about empty seats in the building for a few seasons.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I live in Calgary, there is ZERO motivation from ownership to ever properly rebuild. They’re stuck in this fallacy that the fans couldnt/wouldn’t handle it but I think it’s just their confirmation bias for being worried about empty seats in the building for a few seasons.
Vancouver vs Calgary in ownerships’ race to the middle.

For Vancouver fans sanity, I hope they don’t trade away Vancouver’s 2024 1st in order to compete better for a wild card birth via losing another win now trade by overpaying.

At some point, Vancouver is going to draft some good players with their 1st round picks. They did it before as recently as 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad