Value of: Vancouver Canucks' first round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin for an unprotected first isn’t the worst idea. If you want them to take Myers you’re going to need another asset.

Vancouver is an amazing city but rumour is he wants to go back to the states so I don’t see them making that deal.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
with Myers gone, they need a skilled crease clearer. Pesce/Parayko should be the guys they target, then again, the team is thin everywhere if you factor in injuries. If they cannot afford to miss playoffs this year to resign EP long term, they should consider moving it to further supplement this core, then again if they are forced to move the 1st (they are losing ground), the later it is, the more valuable it becomes.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
how about Connor murphy and Tyler johnson (50% retained) for tyler myers, tanner pearson (which sounds like he might not start the season on LTIR) and a 1st top 12 protected. tyler johnson finally had a surgery last off season and looked like he was just about back to his Tampa days the second 1/2 of the season. Murph is 30 3 years left at 4.4 and tyler would be one year at 2.5 (just turned 33) and you would gain 2.25 in cap space. 2nd paring RD and a 3rd line C/F

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm not a Flames fan, but that division is basically one huge question mark to me.
I disagree. Vegas and Edmonton are better than the rest. Seattle has a good squad and a good coach. All three are significantly better than the Flames. The Kings look better to me as well.

I’d rank the Pacific in pretty obvious tiers.

Real contenders.
Vegas
Oilers

Playoff caliber
Seattle
Kings

Wild Card potential
Flames
Vancouver

Picking in the Top 5 in 2024
San Jose
Anaheim

The flames running back the same-ish non playoff same team from last year, which has some older key players in their 30s and several pending UFAs doesn’t strike me as any kind of platform for contending or thriving.

Reactions: Nick Lang

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Keep it. The Canucks could make the playoffs, but making a run against the likes of much better Western Conference teams is unlikely.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Is the pick protected? It would make a huge difference in value.

Keep it. The Canucks could make the playoffs, but making a run against the likes of much better Western Conference teams is unlikely.
The West is an open path these days, it wouldn't take much for teams to shuffle around.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Is the pick protected? It would make a huge difference in value.

The West is an open path these days, it wouldn't take much for teams to shuffle around.
I disagree. In the Pacific, the Canucks would not be equipped to take on Vegas, Edmonton and likely also struggle against LA. Toss up between them, Seattle and Calgary.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
With Tyler Myers going back (1 year remaining) for cap purposes, what is your best offer for the Canucks' first round pick straight up?

As Pettersson announced that he wouldn't be sticking around if the Canucks aren't competitive, I think it's fairly wise to go 'all in' on this season and maximize the chance of success so he decides to re-sign.

What would be the best player your team would offer (ideally a defenseman) for the Canucks' 1st?
What do you need?
ideally a defenseman maybe ? just a hunch

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
With Tyler Myers going back (1 year remaining) for cap purposes, what is your best offer for the Canucks' first round pick straight up?

As Pettersson announced that he wouldn't be sticking around if the Canucks aren't competitive, I think it's fairly wise to go 'all in' on this season and maximize the chance of success so he decides to re-sign.

What would be the best player your team would offer (ideally a defenseman) for the Canucks' 1st?

Trading 1st rounders before It's time is why Vancouver is in this situation.

Case in point OEL and Garland for a deal that included the 9th overall pick.

Anybody that knows me knows I like Garland a lot but that's not a deal that should have been made.

You might say that was different management and it was but the current management team also traded a 1st for Hornek.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
A 1st that was acquired by moving Horvat. This team needs to take the next step now so moving next year’s 1st absolutely should be on the table.
Only for a young cost controlled player. Not a Pesce, Hanifin, etc. And a protected 1st just isn't worth that. So unless we get to the deadline and are contending I don't see it.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Only for a young cost controlled player. Not a Pesce, Hanifin, etc. And a protected 1st just isn't worth that. So unless we get to the deadline and are contending I don't see it.
I don’t agree that it only should be moved for a “young cost controlled player”, depends on that definition really. I’d be open to moving it for another mid 20’s player like the Hronek trade as well. Basically this is the time they should be looking to make the “Miller trade” IMO.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don’t agree that it only should be moved for a “young cost controlled player”, depends on that definition really. I’d be open to moving it for another mid 20’s player like the Hronek trade as well. Basically this is the time they should be looking to make the “Miller trade” IMO.
So a first for one year of a Hanifin or Pesce? Because those guys won't sign here for anything other than UFA value. Also we would have to add more to get them I bet.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So a first for one year of a Hanifin or Pesce? Because those guys won't sign here for anything other than UFA value. Also we would have to add more to get them I bet
I never suggested Pesce of Hanifin. Being Eastern state guys I bet both want to head out east. But just like how nobody thought Hronek was really available I’m sure there’s others out there that could be available and could make sense for Vancouver to move their 1st.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I never suggested Pesce of Hanifin. Being Eastern state guys I bet both want to head out east. But just like how nobody thought Hronek was really available I’m sure there’s others out there that could be available and could make sense for Vancouver to move their 1st.
Once again we would have no picks in the first two rounds next year. It would have to be someone that's a slam dunk. Who do you have in mind?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Once again we would have no picks in the first two rounds next year.
They picked up a guy who should be a fixture in their top 4 within the next 3 years this past draft. I don’t think they’ve gone without a pick in the first two rounds since 2020.

It would have to be someone that's a slam dunk. Who do you have in mind?
Nobody in particular to be honest. I just wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick in another Hronek-type transaction assuming one shakes loose. This team needs players that can contribute now, otherwise EP probably isn’t sticking around and you’re rebuilding anyway.

One guy that could be interesting is Shane Pinto who’s still unsigned with Ottawa. He could be a great 3rd line center that could conceivably move into a top 6 spot in the future pushing Miller back to wing when he inevitably slows down.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
They picked up a guy who should be a fixture in their top 4 within the next 3 years this past draft. I don’t think they’ve gone without a pick in the first two rounds since 2020.

Nobody in particular to be honest. I just wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick in another Hronek-type transaction assuming one shakes loose. This team needs players that can contribute now, otherwise EP probably isn’t sticking around and you’re rebuilding anyway.

One guy that could be interesting is Shane Pinto who’s still unsigned with Ottawa. He could be a great 3rd line center that could conceivably move into a top 6 spot in the future pushing Miller back to wing when he inevitably slows down.
90% of Canucks fans would do that trade but a protected 1st is not getting us Pinto. Maybe if we added Podz and they added a 2nd but it would hurt more than a 1st I believe.

The only reason the Hronek trade was doable was because it was an "extra" draft pick. It has to work out, I believe its our only chance to solve that D hole.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
90% of Canucks fans would do that trade but a protected 1st is not getting us Pinto. Maybe if we added Podz and they added a 2nd but it would hurt more than a 1st I believe.
I would do that easily.

The only reason the Hronek trade was doable was because it was an "extra" draft pick. It has to work out, I believe its our only chance to solve that D hole.
I think this EP situation changes things dramatically. A mid to late 1st isn’t helping this team for 3 years at best. EP and Hughes could be long gone by then. I think they either have to do whatever they can to make this group work and if it doesn’t and EP wants out, you’re rebuilding anyway.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I would do that easily.

I think this EP situation changes things dramatically. A mid to late 1st isn’t helping this team for 3 years at best. EP and Hughes could be long gone by then. I think they either have to do whatever they can to make this group work and if it doesn’t and EP wants out, you’re rebuilding anyway.
Sure, we must compete now to keep our franchise player. But there's no cap space and a protected 1st does not move the needle to get us a great player. No need to be desparate, we have a good looking team this year. If they are showing well and in contention, they will likely consider moving the 1st at the deadline to try to push us over the hump.

Pinto for 1st + Podz would be an interesting trade, not sure if Ottawa does that. Keep in mind we would have to sign him and we have no cap space, so we'd probably have to attach a Pearson or Myers, and Ottawa is fairly cap strapped so now your talking about paying to offload one of those players with our precious few assets.

I say stand pat and see what happens, hope for a good season and if they have really earned it, trade the pick at the deadline and try to make an impact in the playoffs.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think we’re largely on the same page here. I just think that if something that makes sense, partner for Hugges or legit 3rd line center, comes available that fits the age group between now and the deadline, the 1st should be on the table.

As far as capspace goes, will be interesting to see if they do something with Myers once his bonus is paid in the coming days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad