Value of: Vancouver Canucks' first round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
With Tyler Myers going back (1 year remaining) for cap purposes, what is your best offer for the Canucks' first round pick straight up?

As Pettersson announced that he wouldn't be sticking around if the Canucks aren't competitive, I think it's fairly wise to go 'all in' on this season and maximize the chance of success so he decides to re-sign.

What would be the best player your team would offer (ideally a defenseman) for the Canucks' 1st?

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Vancouver should probably keep that 1st. If things go south this season and Petterson bounces you’re going to wish you had that luck still.
I don't know, man. I'm willing to do anything to ensure arguably the best all around centre this franchise has ever had stays here. If it takes going all in, I don't mind doing so. There are teams in the league that haven't had a centre the calibre of Pettersson in literal decades.

Might be more of a deadline deal, though, depending on where they are in the standings.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Tyler Myers going back (1 year remaining) for cap purposes, what is your best offer for the Canucks' first round pick straight up?

As Pettersson announced that he wouldn't be sticking around if the Canucks aren't competitive, I think it's fairly wise to go 'all in' on this season and maximize the chance of success so he decides to re-sign.

What would be the best player your team would offer (ideally a defenseman) for the Canucks' 1st?
What do you need?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Tyler Meyers + 2024 1st (top 5 protected) for Hanafin?

Or make the same offer to Peg for Mark Schaefele (50% retained).

Reactions: Petey O

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Not sure Calgary touches that one. They want to win.
The idea Calgary has a winning team this year cracks me up. Their fans would surely be fine with it. They know a needed rebuild when they see it.

My laughing at your post is the idea the Flames think this is a year for them to go for it. With Vegas, Edmonton and LA clearly better than them… it’s wild card at best. And you’ll lose several UFAs in the summer of 2024 for what? Six playoff games. This is your close to best case scenario for Calgary this season. That’s a club that needs to be selling. Not hoarding.

Teams that look better than Calgary.
Pacific
Vegas
Oilers
Seattle
Kings

Central
Avs
Stars
Wild
Blues

Maybe the Flames beat out LA, Peg, Vancouver and Nashville for the last spot. Lose to Vegas in 5.

Last edited:

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
The idea Calgary has a winning team this year cracks me up. Their fans would surely be fine with it. They know a needed rebuild when they see it.
Too bad their fans don’t run the team. If that were the case for Canucks, we would have booted Benning long ago. But based on CGY management’s moves and signings, it’s clear they plan to compete.

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
They shouldn't trade the pick unless they are one of the top regular season teams at the deadline.
I tend to agree. I wouldn't mind going into the season with what we have and re-assessing at the deadline. Especially if they're trading for a rental.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

My laughing at your post is the idea the Flames think this is a year for them to go for it. With Vegas, Edmonton and LA clearly better than them… it’s wild card at best. And you’ll lose several UFAs in the summer of 2024 for what? Six playoff games. This is your close to best case scenario for Calgary this season. That’s a club that needs to be selling. Not hoarding.
Calgary isn't in the best of spots, but LA has shit goaltending and lost depth to accommodate PLD.

Edmonton has questionable goaltending.

Vegas won with questionable goaltending, but they don't have a star player, but they got a lot of good players and depth.

Calgary gets the Markstrom before Edmonton broke him, or Wolf plays well and they can potentially be a good and dangerous team. The problem is they brought in a coach that will likely run the same system.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calgary isn't in the best of spots, but LA has shit goaltending and lost depth to accommodate PLD.

Edmonton has questionable goaltending.

Vegas won with questionable goaltending, but they don't have a star player, but they got a lot of good players and depth.

Calgary gets the Markstrom before Edmonton broke him, or Wolf plays well and they can potentially be a good and dangerous team. The problem is they brought in a coach that will likely run the same system.
You guys need so much to go right to somehow be good. Seattle, Vegas, Oilers and Kings all look better to me. Vegas has you rated as a low playoff team though. So we’ll see.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I wont touch Schiefele, you cant teach his level of commitment to defense. but Hanifin would be a good add. I would think a team like Blues would be interested for Parayko. They are doing a pretty good job on their retool and if Vancouver needs to sell their 1st pick, I would assume the Hronek/Soucy experiment crashed and burned. Obviously, if they trend well going into the TDL, they should keep their first pick, possibly in the late teens.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo a very smart idea to move that pick now. Maybe give it protection. I say maybe because it seems like next year would be worse than this one, if they trade Pettersson then they will want to keep that 2025 1st rounder.

Maybe Pesce? They'd need more than the 1st but a great win now target.

The only day 1 selling teams would be who? Philly, maybe St. Louis? Most teams want to go for it. So Konecny, Parayko, Walker?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

At this stage of the off-season, what are the Canucks doing with that $6 mill that would be freed up?
We are 2 weeks from training camp.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Let's not be silly and use that 1st as a sweetener, we've traded enough futures and rushed to get rid of enough expiring contracts... with disastrous results (Beagle/ Roussel/ Eriksson expiring for OEL and Garland...). Just trade Myers and Beauvillier, with retention, for the best deal they can get.

Also, management here has proven that they're past the teardown stage, even if it may have been woefully necessary. With Miller, Hughes and Demko still here, they could always trade for a lesser #1 C and get futures on top of that, so the foundation's probably too established to do anymore than a retool. With his track record, he should be able to net any blue chip prospect as part of the return (e.g. Fantilli/ Carlsson/ Jiricek...) or as some have said, swap him and D-Petey for the Hughes from NJ. No need to mortgage the future and think it's all doom and gloom and make dumb mistakes involving futures.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You guys need so much to go right to somehow be good. Seattle, Vegas, Oilers and Kings all look better to me. Vegas has you rated as a low playoff team though. So we’ll see.
I'm not a Flames fan, but that division is basically one huge question mark to me.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Pettersson said absolutely nothing like that but ok.

If we are comfortably in the playoffs and everything is firing on all cylinders then I would consider it at the deadline. But then...it wouldn't be worth as much. So you'd kind of have to do it now. I'd do Myers +1 for Hanifin but only if he extended. Not sure that would get pesce.

Reactions: Grumpy1

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Pettersson said absolutely nothing like that but ok.

If we are comfortably in the playoffs and everything is firing on all cylinders then I would consider it at the deadline. But then...it wouldn't be worth as much. So you'd kind of have to do it now. I'd do Myers +1 for Hanifin but only if he extended. Not sure that would get pesce.
Do you have an inside scoop greater than Friedman that he didn't say this?

I'm basing it off of Friedman's report:

What do you define as a 'success' if not making the playoffs?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Imo a very smart idea to move that pick now. Maybe give it protection. I say maybe because it seems like next year would be worse than this one, if they trade Pettersson then they will want to keep that 2025 1st rounder.

Maybe Pesce? They'd need more than the 1st but a great win now target.

The only day 1 selling teams would be who? Philly, maybe St. Louis? Most teams want to go for it. So Konecny, Parayko, Walker?

Agreed. It's only going to lose value once the season begins and the Canucks quietly burn down villages.

Reactions: wonton15

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Do you have an inside scoop greater than Friedman that he didn't say this?

I'm basing it off of Friedman's report:

What do you define as a 'success' if not making the playoffs?

But then he clarifies to say its whether he signs long term or short term that's riding on this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad