Proposal: VAN - PIT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Didn’t realize Podkolzin was the second coming.
Everyone agrees it makes zero sense. Don’t try and justify your garbage proposal by making childish comments like this. Nobody said Podkolzin is the 2nd coming. We aren’t trading our best prospect and a high 2nd round pick for pieces that don’t do anything for us in building for our future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The difference is that kap was acquired with the thought that he would develop into more than he has become. Time has passed, and he doesn't have the value he used to.

No, I don't think Kapanen has the value that he was traded for because Jim Rutherford was a dumbass when he traded for him.

It's not "they thought he'd develop into more than he was", JR said at the time of the trade that Kapanen was currently a top-6 forward and he paid top-6 forward prices for him. The problem is that most GMs realize Kapanen is more of a middle-6 forward than a top-6 forward, that trade was just JR overvaluing Kapanen.

He definitely has more value than a 2nd rounder, which makes the idea that Vancouver's 2nd is more valuable than Kapanen laughable. But Kapanen would absolutely not bring back a young guy like Podkolzin.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do players like Toews get moved for two late seconds regularly?

Prior to Kapanen’s deal we saw players like Zucker, Coleman, Kase and Pageau all moved for similar packages.
And post kapanen’s deal and Covid, we don’t.

it’s after, not before. You’ll get no where near that haul. A trade Pitt overpaid for. Just like Zucker.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Fair take. I think I mixed up his age with Hoglander.
Hoglander is 6 months and three days older. He has just has more wicked eye brows

nils-hoglander-2022-39.jpg

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Please f*** off with any trade between Van and Pitt having Kapanen in it.

Well, I would love Kap on the Canucks. But for something like Halak and Dickinson/or/Poolman, but not going to happen and not willing to pay anything real for him.

But this OP proposal is just such a crazy way off. No chance LOL

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Cap reasons moving forward. I think Podkolzin for Kapanen is a clear downgrade now and over Podkolzin’s contract.
I’d agree it’s very likely during pod’s elc, Kapanen will be the better player. That just means podkolzin’s next contract will be under 3M and I’d expect by his 4th nhl season that he’d be on par with Kapanen at that point. Pod will be 23 while kap will be 28.

so did you think where it makes sense for the Canucks to trade the younger, cheaper asset that in 3 years should be just as good as your older more expensive asset? You realize the Canucks have cap issues and are trying to get younger right? On top of this you have the Canucks adding a high 2nd round pick and a better backup goalie

seems like you created this proposal with only pittsburghs wants and needs in mind. I’m not even going to bring up the mis-judgment of value of the assets

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’d agree it’s very likely during pod’s elc, Kapanen will be the better player. That just means podkolzin’s next contract will be under 3M and I’d expect by his 4th nhl season that he’d be on par with Kapanen at that point. Pod will be 23 while kap will be 28.

so did you think where it makes sense for the Canucks to trade the younger, cheaper asset that in 3 years should be just as good as your older more expensive asset? You realize the Canucks have cap issues and are trying to get younger. On top of this you have the Canucks adding a high 2nd round pick and a better backup goalie

As I said in the thread earlier, I did not realize Podkolzin was viewed as a top prospect for the Canucks, I thought he was viewed as a movable piece. I would assume the idea would be to acquire Kapanen and then move out one of Garland or Boeser as has been rumored.

I'm fine making the deal just Podkolzin and Halak for Kapanen and Desmith. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to take the Halak bonus.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
As I said in the thread earlier, I did not realize Podkolzin was viewed as a top prospect for the Canucks, I thought he was viewed as a movable piece. I would assume the idea would be to acquire Kapanen and then move out one of Garland or Boeser as has been rumored.

I'm fine making the deal just Podkolzin and Halak for Kapanen and Desmith. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to take the Halak bonus.
I seriously question your thought process then. What on earth makes you think a former #10 ovr pick, 20 year old rookie has become viewed as a tradeable asset to a team that openly said they are looking to shed cap and get younger? Even if you were oblivious and took 0 time to even think about the Canucks position or needs. What team in the NHL has rookie top 10 picks they view as expendable?

Im sure you would be fine making the deal without the 2nd round pick, just like I'm sure the Canucks would love to get Byfield from LA for Miller, doesnt mean its happening.

There are not a magnitude of reasons as to why, I'll give you the 3 simplest ones:
1. Once again you have ignored everything the Canucks want and need to make a proposal that helps the Pens.
2. Canucks don't have the cap space for Kapanen. If we can't afford Halak's bonus and need to defer it, what makes you think the team has the cap space to take on Kapanen's extra 2+M?
3. You're not getting Podkolzin without a 1st ++ coming back. I'll make this simple, there is no single piece the Pens have that they would realistically trade that could get them Podkolzin.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017

Sorry dude but this trade doesnt at all work for the Canucks. Podz isnt going anywhere and we dont need the pieces being offered for where we are

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I seriously question your thought process then. What on earth makes you think a former #10 ovr pick, 20 year old rookie has become viewed as a tradeable asset to a team that openly said they are looking to shed cap and get younger? Even if you were oblivious and took 0 time to even think about the Canucks position or needs. What team in the NHL has rookie top 10 picks they view as expendable?

Im sure you would be fine making the deal without the 2nd round pick, just like I'm sure the Canucks would love to get Byfield from LA for Miller, doesnt mean its happening.

There are not a magnitude of reasons as to why, I'll give you the 3 simplest ones:
1. Once again you have ignored everything the Canucks want and need to make a proposal that helps the Pens.
2. Canucks don't have the cap space for Kapanen. If we can't afford Halak's bonus and need to defer it, what makes you think the team has the cap space to take on Kapanen's extra 2+M?
3. You're not getting Podkolzin without a 1st ++ coming back. I'll make this simple, there is no single piece the Pens have that they would realistically trade that could get them Podkolzin.

I don’t really see Podkolzin having that value and he seems like exactly the type of player JR would sell off tbh.

But all fair points. I’m good saying it isn’t appropriate for what Vancouver needs.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Kapanen and Desmith

For

Vancouver 2023 2nd, Podkolzin, Halak
So you think the direction the Canucks should go is older, more expensive, and should give up draft capital and the higher ceiling player to make it happen. I will stop reading your posts now.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I don’t really see Podkolzin having that value and he seems like exactly the type of player JR would sell off tbh.

But all fair points. I’m good saying it isn’t appropriate for what Vancouver needs.
While you may not see podkolzin having that value, no team is going to trade their u21 1st rounder, let alone former top 10 pick for less than a 1st + value.

ask nyr what they want for kakko, La for turcotte, Buffalo for krebs even. List goes on. I guarantee not a single team will be willing to trade their 20 yr old top rookie/prospect for kapanen.

the only time a team has traded a Podkolzin at this stage is when they are getting an eichel/stone/paciorietty back. Kapanen is not that.

That must mean your thought process and evaluations are misaligned with not only reality, but with the fan bases you are making these proposals to

Last edited:

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Get outta here! We trade our trade chip veteran back up, our second rounder and young winger prospect for an older winger and another backup?? Yeah right.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pittsburgh reject the trade.
Incorrect....and its not even close . Pitt sheds demsith . Upgrades the backup spot immensely, gets rid of Kapanen and his contract which makes room for rust, pitt gets a pick and a prospect and you think they reject this???? Hahaha. Vancouver would easily ask for another assest and probably get it

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Incorrect....and its not even close . Pitt sheds demsith . Upgrades the backup spot immensely, gets rid of Kapanen and his contract which makes room for rust, pitt gets a pick and a prospect and you think they reject this???? Hahaha. Vancouver would easily ask for another assest and probably get it
Pittsburgh don't need to make a deal with Vancouver .
Pittsburgh reject trade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad