Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Understood. I still think retaining those two in the long-term would have been a much better route than what the Canucks actually ended up doing.

I bet a fair number of Canuck fans would agree which is why I don’t understand the spazzing above.
Nope most of Canuck fans best posters wanted nothing to do with Lindholm as a 3C for that awful contract about to turn 30 and yes most wanted Zadorov but he's really never been a top4 defensman and was repeatedly benched and had his minutes reduced to 12-14 in his Calgary days for being lazy and unengaged and we saw it at times here too so there is some concern once a guy gets his big legacy deal he wont bring the same intensity.

Were better off with 4 deals that are short term and Debrusk who fits more to what we need stylistically and still having 3-4 million in cap to maneuver on a top4 D that has impact later than what you propose

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
What did they lose besides Lindholm? A guy you shit on all the time.
Why can't you admit that nothing the nucks do you would say was good.

But I'm sure Skinner and ardvidson were the greatest moves ever right?

You post a lot but what facts make you come to the conclusions you have come to?

Debrusk> Mikheyev
Heinan> Lafferty
Sherwood> Disueppe.
You’re confusing me with who?

I don’t mind Lindholm one bit. I also don’t mind DeBrusk, I just don’t think he does moves the needle or improves the team more than last season.

I never suggested anything about Skinner/Arvidsson here, I asked for consistency with the poster I was talking too. Read the thread before the useless rants.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
You’re confusing me with who?

I don’t mind Lindholm one bit. I also don’t mind DeBrusk, I just don’t think he does moves the needle or improves the team more than last season.

I never suggested anything about Skinner/Arvidsson here, I asked for consistency with the poster I was talking too. Read the thread before the useless rants.

Why are you even in here?

You seem lost.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
He was never LW1 in Boston, and never would be, being behind Marchand. And when he struggled bad (circa 2020-22) and when Hall was in Boston he wasn't even LW2 either. It wasn't until he moved to play RW with Marchand-Bergeron did he find the success he had earlier in his first couple years.

Looking at Canucks depth chart, he seems like he's going to be LW1, no? I think he'll be a good fit there.
Thanks for the previous team feedback! Always good to have.

The talk on local radio etc is that he will play with a (hopefully) recovered Pettersson and maybe Joshua. Last year Joshua worked extensively with our new skills coach and really worked on his in-tight shooting and "deke" skills and it really paid off for him. Joshua is also really good on the forecheck and plays a pretty straight-line style. From what I understand that will mesh well with Debrusk as he will be able to go to the empty areas that Pettersson and Joshua create and snipe away.

Any thoughts on that?

edit...apparently I really like the word really...lol

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks for the previous team feedback! Always good to have.

The talk on local radio etc is that he will play with a (hopefully) recovered Pettersson and maybe Joshua. Last year Joshua worked extensively with our new skills coach and really worked on his in-tight shooting and "deke" skills and it really paid off for him. Joshua is also really good on the forecheck and plays a pretty straight-line style. From what I understand that will mesh well with Debrusk as he will be able to go to the empty areas that Pettersson and Joshua create and snipe away.

Any thoughts on that?

edit...apparently I really like the word really...lolol
I think any situation where Debrusk gets to play with an elite top center like Pettersson or Miller and where he's not the driver of the line, he'll have success. He has enough shooting skills and ability around the net that you won't feel your star players are wasting chances passing him the puck.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
He played both sides over the last 3 years consistently, due to constant mixing of lines. Some guys deal, some don't.
Even when on his favored side, he was still inconsistent, disappearing for long periods of time, which messes with his head.
Luckily he has learned not to let it effect the rest of his game.

Thanks for your info.

So I guess, per your observations, the situation (Marchand somewhat blocking his position) may not be only explanation of his inconsistencies. Fair enough.

But at least I can hope this change of scenery can allow for a Sam Bennett / JT Miller trajectory, or even a Marchand/ Kreider trajectory 😆

More realistic than people placing faith on Skinner / Arvidsson rebounding…..

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... and I'm far from a Canucks fan... but I think this signing will go down as the best signing of unrestricted free agency this year.

Debrusk is 27. You've locked him up for the entirety of his prime, and really only maybe 1-2 "down" years towards the end. He's scored 25 or more goals 3 times in his career, and has only once in his last 6 years been below 19.

He's done so on a Boston team that is not spectacularily offensively-oriented, and had some tumultous times with coaching, role, etc.

He's coming into a team where he's got a realistic chance to be a top line player; and will almost certainly be a consistent force in their top 6. I would be shocked if he doesn't score 30 this year.

That's a heck of a deal for $5.5m in UFA.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Understood. I still think retaining those two in the long-term would have been a much better route than what the Canucks actually ended up doing.

I bet a fair number of Canuck fans would agree which is why I don’t understand the spazzing above.
Your take on Canucks fans' opinions is wrong on Lindholm. Good player but horrible allocation of cap to have him as a 3C on the team as the Canucks want Miller and Pettersson at C. We tried Lindholm on the wing and it didn't go well.

The biggest thing about the Debrusk signing is he is supposed to be a winger upgrade for Pettersson, whether it's him or him allowing Boeser to swap lines. He's not replacing Lindholm, he's replacing Kuzmenko. And he's a better fit for Tocchets system.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Call me crazy... and I'm far from a Canucks fan... but I think this signing will go down as the best signing of unrestricted free agency this year.

Debrusk is 27. You've locked him up for the entirety of his prime, and really only maybe 1-2 "down" years towards the end. He's scored 25 or more goals 3 times in his career, and has only once in his last 6 years been below 19.

He's done so on a Boston team that is not spectacularily offensively-oriented, and had some tumultous times with coaching, role, etc.

He's coming into a team where he's got a realistic chance to be a top line player; and will almost certainly be a consistent force in their top 6. I would be shocked if he doesn't score 30 this year.

Good points. I think an important point is that with JT putting up the points and Brock scoring 40, teams going to be sending out their 2nd D pair against the Petey line.

With a top 4 of EP40, Miller, Brock and now Debrusk, that leaves Garland, Joshua, Heinen, Suter and Sherwood to audition for top 6. Love that competition.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Like this acquisition. I’m guessing they’re making a reasonable bet that Debrusk will add elements to the top 6 from day, but also will have more to show in a larger role. Similar to JT Miller several years back.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is Very good signing in terms of the age of the Player, and the cap attached to this Player. He be 28 and be 28 for the entire first season so it’s not like he’s a 30 year old. He will be 34, and the final 3 years, there is a 15 team trade list. 5.5 million is extremely manageable and given we are in western Canada, there’s no it much available for us. Jake has 20 goals over 6 times, almost scored 30 on 2 occasions, will while not being on the first power play unit, never had top line minutes, he average 16 minutes a game, which makes him a 2nd line winger, never had a super star center to play with, and he’s proven to be a productive player. So its a good signing and I think tocchet likes this guy.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
If Pettersson resurges and hits 100+ points again, Debrusk will no doubt have a career year. I'm expecting Miller to regress a little, perhaps back to the 80 point range. I don't think the Canucks will have a better regular season than last year but no one will care because they're building this team for the playoffs and to beat the Oilers. They won't do well if they get into a goalfest with the Oilers but they will be able handle them physically, make it very difficult on McDavid and have a better PK so they don't get lit up. I think the Canucks will also make some moves to address scoring at the trade deadline or to improve the defense just like they did with Lindholm and Zadorov last season. You can tell Tocchet is trying to turn this into a Bruins of the West and the Oilers are like the Leafs of the West. (although with more success last season obviously)

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Well. At least the Canucks can plan around 3 top 6 forwards from 2025 onwards (Miller, Pete, DeBrusk), and I suspect wait for ELC contributors / try the Danton Heinen/Dakota Joshua top 6 experiment.

The future of Boeser is not certain with how well he's begun to score, his playoff game, and last year under contract. Looking at this year's UFA crop, Boeser will have every right to ask for 8.5+. With Hughes up for renewal in 2027 and deserving of a huge contract, the Canucks will have to plan the longer-term outlook carefully with some cheaper top-6 wingers, and DeBrusk is part of that. Cost certainty for a non-line driving 1st or 2nd line winger is desirable when your top two centres are locked up for the better part of a decade.

Particularly as the OEL buyout rises to 4.7m from 2025-2027, being able to run Debrusk-Pete- X (Hoglander, Joshua?) for ~20% of the cap will be invaluable in the coming years.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Curious if you could tell me why it took Marchand till 27/28 the same age as Debrusk to go from seasons of 25 and 24 goals to 37-39-34-36. I mean he did play with Bergeron at 22 when he became a regular with Bergeron in his prime didnt he?
A couple of observations:
1) Debrusk can only DREAM about the intensity of play that Marchand has had since day one. Marchand brings it every game. His standard operating setting is 150% of what would normally be his maximum. Maybe that’s why he turned from a good two way winger into an elite NHL player. Debrusk has maybe 1% of the drive Marchand has.
2) Path’s like Marchand’s are quite unique. How many players have become so elite and dominant at the age of 27, from a medium low level? Especially when no one was expecting them to? It takes a special player to do that and no offense, but there is nothing special about Debrusk.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Great hand, good speed, and too much inconsistency. The latter will drive you guys nuts. It’s been a pattern. He’s up and down way too much. Kid can score amazing goals sometimes but isn’t a line driver at all. Will be interesting to see how Tochet and him interact.
He’s a good PK guy too. Good signing IMO. Needed change in scenery.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

He was an average league player on the 22-23 team that set the world on fire.

He's done so on a Boston team that is not spectacularily offensively-oriented, and had some tumultous times with coaching, role, etc......
Ha ha ha ha ha, NOPE!. Cassidy wanted more out of him and Monty's just too nice of a guy, both coaches got tremendous results over their time 2019 Cup run, 23's record setting team. I would hardly call that tumultuous. None of this was on them, it's on DeBrusk to grow up, which see seems to be doing slower than some.

He's a "good" player and you got him at the right price. The term might be too long, but that's to see.
He's been in the league long enough to establish what he is, a complimentary piece. He'll help but don't expect an All Star.
Have reasonable expectations.
I love the PERSON, good kid.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He was an average league player on the 22-23 team that set the world on fire.

He's done so on a Boston team that is not spectacularily offensively-oriented, and had some tumultous times with coaching, role, etc......
Ha ha ha ha ha, NOPE!. Cassidy wanted more out of him and Monty's just too nice of a guy, both coaches got tremendous results over their time 2019 Cup run, 23's record setting team. I would hardly call that tumultuous. None of this was on them, it's on DeBrusk to grow up, which see seems to be doing slower than some.

He's a "good" player and you got him at the right price. The term might be too long, but that's to see.
He's been in the league long enough to establish what he is, a complimentary piece. He'll help but don't expect an All Star.
Have reasonable expectations.
I love the PERSON, good kid.

He scored 27 goals in 64 games that year.. that's not league average.

I'm not absolving him from responsibility for his part with those coaches; but the reality is, when you & the coach don't see eye-to-eye, there's going to be other players put in better opportunities, and he still scored at a pretty good rate.

The fact that he's getting older, more mature, more experienced, in a new environment, should help him take his game to the next level... and $5.25m is basically what you pay for a 25 goal scorer anyways.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Good points. I think an important point is that with JT putting up the points and Brock scoring 40, teams going to be sending out their 2nd D pair against the Petey line.

With a top 4 of EP40, Miller, Brock and now Debrusk, that leaves Garland, Joshua, Heinen, Suter and Sherwood to audition for top 6. Love that competition.
If this forward group starts the year as is, I'd bet Hoglander plays with Miller, and Heinen with EP, 3rd line stays as it was. Suter, Pod, Sherwood as our 4th. Solid depth right through, with a lot of different options for lineups.

Reactions: Wry n Ginger

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Canucks biggest struggles last year were against speedier teams. They lost the ability to pace them. Got run out on stretch passes and aggressive forechecking from fast wingers.

Canucks got a lot faster and deeper with that speed. It cost the Lindholm and Mikheyev up front.

The forward additions made to replace them make them faster and deeper. That's awesome. Still don't have a quality depth center for the middle 6 pivot position, but then Lindholm only showed up for like two games after the trade before the post season.

DeBrusk might be .5 million overpaid, or have 1 more years worth of term on his contract than some would like but it's a quality pick up and more than replaces Mikheyev.

Canucks might not be a divisional champ next year but they're going to be harder to play against and a shade faster which makes them a lot more dangerous in ways they weren't this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad