Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not shitting on Boston here, what they've got going on shows just how well run their organization is. We've seen the likes of Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Thomas all retire/leave, and the Bruins have not missed a beat. Playing with Pettersson as your center is much different than having Coyle/Zacha as your centers, regardless of playing with Marchand. We don't have crazy expectations either, if he stays healthy and puts up 50 points that would be a successful season
Boston has been one of the best run franchises for well over a decade. Pettersson has his own issues that’s when he goes cold, he goes ice cold. If he goes and Debrusk also hits a cold snap….. it’ll get ugly quick.

Boston had a better constructed system to support players who went cold. A more defined and well rounded roster

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I doubt he gets much more ice time really. The lines seem set up to keep the Joshua-Garland line together which means the top 9 will be spread out. I imagine he’ll be around the 16 he’s been getting. And he’s already spent a lot of ice time with Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak over the years, and in front of guys like McAvoy and Lindholm. I don’t think it’s really a significantly difference situation.
He got 17 in Boston playing both special teams. He's going to be 19 mins or whatever amount JT who does both special teams.

He was getting 3rd line minutes basically 5on5 and pretty sure those were not his common linemates but I'll have to look it up.

I think he gets significantly more points 5on5 with EP.

Reactions: bossram

Jan 21, 2018
I like it.

Looking at some of the RIDICULOUS deals of today, this one feels like a really worthy bet.

We gave him 7 years, but he's only 27 years old. And 5.5 seems like a fair deal now and it will only improve. He's also a guy with a lot of utility. So even in stretches where he goes cold, he provides solid penalty killing, forechecking, netfront presence, etc.

Also has some size and speed to replace what we lost (and rightfully so) in dealing Mikheyev and Lafferty.

Disappears in the playoffs? He's always one of your more prominent players in the playoffs and haunts Leaf's fans dreams.

lol another Vancouver fan that is obsessed with toronto. Why are you thinking about leaf’s fans dreams?

Sorry to break it to you but this is also a RIDICULOUS deal. Especially since boston poached lindholm and zadorov from your team, which made them deseperately sign DeBrusk for 7 years.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Boston has been one of the best run franchises for well over a decade. Pettersson has his own issues that’s when he goes cold, he goes ice cold. If he goes and Debrusk also hits a cold snap….. it’ll get ugly quick.

Boston had a better constructed system to support players who went cold. A more defined and well rounded roster
EP has really only had cold streaks when injured. He's been quite consistent his entire career.
Their roster is not more well rounded and the reason they win is on the back of great goaltending.
Offensively they are not well rounded and haven't been for awhile.
As for the nucks this is the first season they've been good in awhile and they had a very well rounded team that had scoring spread out and played a great structured game.
It the reason even with a 3rd string goalie with an 877sv% we went as far as we did

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
lol another Vancouver fan that is obsessed with toronto. Why are you thinking about leaf’s fans dreams?

Sorry to break it to you but this is also a RIDICULOUS deal. Especially since boston poached lindholm and zadorov from your team, which made them deseperately sign DeBrusk for 7 years.
Lol. Come on do better. They didn't poach anyone and Debrusk is 27 @ 5.5.

The leafs got absolutely taken on both the Tanev and the laughable OEL deal at least Tanev is decent tho severely overrated .
Then to top it off your idiot GM has decided to go with a Woll Stolarz combo. Every single playoffs after a quick exit we hear it's the goalies fault and this is his solution?

But ya mock the team that signed deals that are at worst market value.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Jan 21, 2018
Lol. Come on do better. They didn't poach anyone and Debrusk is 27 @ 5.5.

The leafs got absolutely taken on both the Tanev and the laughable OEL deal at least Tanev is decent tho severely overrated .
Then to top it off your idiot GM has decided to go with a Woll Stolarz combo. Every single playoffs after a quick exit we hear it's the goalies fault and this is his solution?

But ya mock the team that signed deals that are at worst market value.

Still talking about the leafs in a Vancouver thread. How do you have enough time to support your team when you are constantly thinking about the leafs?

Again, Boston poached lindholm and zadorov from your team. They used to play for Vancouver. Vancouver tried to re-sign lindholm and zadorov, but both players decided that Boston > Vancouver. And then Vancouver got desperate and gave debrusk 7 years after scoring less than 20 goals last year :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He got 17 in Boston playing both special teams. He's going to be 19 mins or whatever amount JT who does both special teams.

He was getting 3rd line minutes basically 5on5 and pretty sure those were not his common linemates but I'll have to look it up.

I think he gets significantly more points 5on5 with EP.

Coyle and Marchand were his most common linemates last year and Marchand and Bergeron were his most common the year before. Though he played all over. With the top 9 spread out it’s very unlikely he’ll average the same ES ice time as Miller and Pettersson because they’ll get the extra situational ice time together with Boeser when the team needs a goal or some of the defensive situational minutes as well. I expect all of Joshua, Garland and DeBrusk to be similar in terms of TOI. He got 13.5 ES minutes last year, and the only Canucks who got more were Pettersson, Miller, Boeser and Lindholm. He’ll mostly be replacing Mikheyev’s ES time which was 12.5 a game.

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

talk about obsessed.. your avatar is canucks and you have posted so much in the threads i thought you were a fan.

the projecting in your comment is hilarious. i imagine looking in your post history it's nothing but "waah this thing the cancusk did is something bad! i'm going to try to make canucks fans feeel bad about it ! waaah" get a life, kid.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Considering that the Joshua - Blueger - Garland will likely be set in stone for the entire year (and if it changes, it's going to be the center, not the wings), DeBrusk is basically guaranteed to stick with either Miller-Boeser or Pettersson-Hoglander.

Vancouver also isn't really a team that consistently defaults to a Pettersson - Miller - Boeser line when they need a goal (partly because it only sometimes looks good-- often the default lines look better for some reason).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Not sure I like this deal, but I think there is potential for him to play up to or above value for a part of the contract. Way better than giving Lindholm 7.5M though!

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

You might be the most fragile leaf fan on these boards and that is saying something.

He has played 21 playoff games against the leafs.

Here are his stats.

GP-G-A-P

21-9-5-14

His goals per game is 0.428 (round up to 0.43).

If we only took his games against the Leafs, and that's a pretty substantial sample size for the playoffs he would be tied with Rod Gilbert at 45th for all time goals per game.

Hmm...does it seem like 'hehe rent free bruh' or perhaps I'm noting an observable phenomenon.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'm not shitting on Boston here, what they've got going on shows just how well run their organization is. We've seen the likes of Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Thomas all retire/leave, and the Bruins have not missed a beat. Playing with Pettersson as your center is much different than having Coyle/Zacha as your centers, regardless of playing with Marchand. We don't have crazy expectations either, if he stays healthy and puts up 50 points that would be a successful season

DeBrusk has played a lot with Bergeron/Marchand and Krejci/Pastrnak over the years. Some pretty good quality combinations. Has never really got over that hump or developed long term chemistry/consistency with anyone. Hopefully he finds that combination in Vancouver.

This is a good deal for the Canucks. A lot of term, but basically got paid like a streaky 2nd line winger, which he is. Still some untapped upside there. I predict 30G/30A every year.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think this is a very solid signing.

Allvin avoided some of the landmine contracts and acquired a "young" UFA that should fit well in the structure of the team.

Debrusk has historically been a pretty efficient ES rate scorer, roughly around a 1st line level the past few seasons in production. His two-way impacts look excellent. And critically, his speed and rush game brings a desperately needed element to the Canucks' offense. And his forechecking microstats are also strong. IMO this is a very good fit. I didn't think the Canucks would be in on Debrusk, but it's good work from Allvin.

Drop him and Heinen on Petey's wings, and they have an effective line.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Do you think that in Debrusk’s 7 seasons in Boston he always played with Zacha/Coyle’s caliber centers? He was in the top 6, not a 4th liner or something.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
As said by pretty much every Boston fan here, Debrusk is either hot or cold, nothing in between. When he’s hot, he looks like a first liner, when he is cold… he disappears. He’s hot about 30-40% of the season and the rest he’s ice cold. Though when he’s cold he’s not a liability.
I imagine that in the first year of his contract with a new team, he’ll put in a better effort, but I doubt that he’ll change his ways. I think what you got is a defensively responsible, shoot first, 20-25g 20a player. He’s also a good kid, even though when he got all pissy about Cassidy and asked for a trade, I think that that left a bit of a sour taste in many Bruins fans, including me.

Reactions: SiZ

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
This will be one of the better signings, with cap going up this will end up being a steal in 2 yrs. I expect that he will be a consistent 25 goal 55 point player dependable defensively. More importantly he steps it up a notch in playoffs. JT Miller lite like

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
And this thus ends Boston's ties to infamous first round of the 2015 draft.
As a B's fan, this is one of the biggest mismanagements in major sports history. Every team whiffs on a 1st rounder, but 3 consecutive picks. It was a different amateur scouting group from the last 5 years, but still.
My 3 picks would have been K Connor, Chabot, and my reach S Aho(2nd rounder? go figure)

DeBrusk is a moody emotional player that doesn't use his size as much as his top notch speed.
His best year where with Bergeron and Marchand and he was still frustratingly inconsistent.
He will give you great penalty killing and 200ft responsibility, but to see him make a huge offensive impact for 82 games, well, I'll need to see it to believe it.

The price is right for what VAN is getting but I don't expect him to become any kind of game breaker. He score a lot from in close, but for a guy his size, he gets nicked up from the physicality of how he plays best.

Reactions: Kickassguy and DS7

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
As a B's fan, this is one of the biggest mismanagements in major sports history. Every team whiffs on a 1st rounder, but 3 consecutive picks. It was a different amateur scouting group from the last 5 years, but still.
My 3 picks would have been K Connor, Chabot, and my reach S Aho(2nd rounder? go figure)

DeBrusk is a moody emotional player that doesn't use his size as much as his top notch speed.
His best year where with Bergeron and Marchand and he was still frustratingly inconsistent.
He will give you great penalty killing and 200ft responsibility, but to see him make a huge offensive impact for 82 games, well, I'll need to see it to believe it.

The price is right for what VAN is getting but I don't expect him to become any kind of game breaker. He score a lot from in close, but for a guy his size, he gets nicked up from the physicality of how he plays best.
At the moment, the bar we're hoping to clear is that he is better linemates for Pettersson than Mikeheyev and Lafferty. I think Debrusk can do it. Maybe even a Heinan/Debrusk wing pair with him in our 2nd line can work out.

Here's hoping

Reactions: Waterbuf and BCNate

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He's a good player that any team expecting to compete needs, He's just not made of STAR material.
At time he makes incredibly skilled plays and then disappears. Plenty of players have the same issue.
His price is where it should be. The B's just got tired of waiting for him to give the "A" DeBrusk every night. Best of luck to him, he's a good kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad