Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Do not like this deal, it's too long and it's too much money. Reminds me of the Mikheyev deal. It's a big commitment to a streaky player with suspect finishing, and this is supposed to be the glue to Pettersson's playmaking?

I'm hoping my brain is stuck on outdated cap percentages and that this deal isn't aCtUaLLy tHaT bAd, but that feels like copium. This contract leaves us very little wiggle room to re-sign Boeser and Hoglander next year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
They couldn’t have even offered him a deal without dumping Mik. It was very clear he was their target and they had to pivot when he was off the market. Not saying they wouldn’t have wanted to free up cap anyway, but that was very obviously their plan. Not sure how you’re disagreeing with it tbh
He was never on the market in the first place, making room for a player you can’t even talk to is Benning level management.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Ahh the last piece in the infamous blundered draft is gone. Cap hit is fair, term a bit long. Vancouver fans will love Jake, that is when he's on a hot streak. But then he'll go invisible for a long stretch and leave you frustrated. Luckily he's been a good playoff performer, which is perhaps most important.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Do not like this deal, it's too long and it's too much money. Reminds me of the Mikheyev deal. It's a big commitment to a streaky player with suspect finishing, and this is supposed to be the glue to Pettersson's playmaking?

I'm hoping my brain is stuck on outdated cap percentages and that this deal isn't aCtUaLLy tHaT bAd, but that feels like copium. This contract leaves us very little wiggle room to re-sign Boeser and Hoglander next year.
5.5 is fine, 7 years is too much but the length would’ve overlapped with Boeser/Hoglander regardless

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The 5.5 seems about right. 7 years is worrisome.

If you get a motivated, "I'm here to prove something" type of Debrusk then 5.5 is a good deal.

if you get the "nah, no thanks, I don't feel like it today" type of Debrusk, and there will absolutely be plenty of days, weeks, months, full seasons where that happens...good luck.

Reactions: Kickassguy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He'll fit in perfectly with the system they play in Vancouver. This is a good signing for the team. They are better because of it. The AAV is right inline with market value. The term is the only thing I dislike. At least he's younger than most players getting those disgusting 7 year deals. It'll age better than most. All in all Vancouver did well here. Just wish the term was shorter.
The term isn't the worst thing in the world with the cap going up post COVID at that cost but that's the going rate for desirable FA this off-season.

In his 6th and 7 th years there will probably be 40 or 50 wingers making more per year.

Reactions: MikeK

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's a great kid. He shows up in the playoffs. Plays a 200ft game now. Elite PK. I would of signed this deal. Maybe not for 7 years, but the money is right there. I may be one of 5 Bruins fans who defended him his entire career here. I wish him all the best. He's gonna be good for you guys.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but I think this is the best signing of unrestricted free agency. As a Leaf fan, I'm disappointed we didn't step up to the plate with this contract.

Guy has produced reasonably well on a Boston team that is notoriously stingy and defence-first. To me, there is almost certainly 30+ goal, maybe 35 goal upside on a team like Vancouver.

When Guentzel is getting $9m in a low-tax environment, and Debrusk is $5.5m -- this should be a major win for the Canucks.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
great deal for the Canucks. this is going to look like the Hyman contract
You f***ing wish. Hyman improved every year in Toronto before signing with Edmonton.

Debrusk consistently vacillates between 40-50pts with one outlier year.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
About the best the Canucks could hope for given their needs and all the marquee forwards off the board. Will fit well with Pettersson or Miller. Prefer this fit to Lindholm on his deal given the line-up composition.

Reactions: Fraser28

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You f***ing wish. Hyman improved every year in Toronto before signing with Edmonton.

Debrusk consistently vacillates between 40-50pts with one outlier year.
This is JT Miller part two.
Better linemates and a bigger role.
Maybe a nice bruins fan can say who he played with when he had his best season and let me know who he played with this year.

Of course Hyman improved with the leafs and oilers, look at who he played with.

Put Hyman on a 3rd line with checking centres instead of frigging some of the best players in the world and let's see if he scores even 20 goals.

Debrusk's signing is one of the better contracts handed out today,
Monohan got 5 ×5 ffs.

Today has made me think maybe the flat cap wasn't such a bad thing because there were some absolutely gross Jim Benning style contracts handed out

Reactions: PuckFather

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Unless he somehow learns how to be consistent under a more loose system and team, this is gonna look real bad for a while and fans are gonna sour on him real quick until he goes on a 10 game streak. To be fair to him he's been improving with more ice time but...man if he goes back to the way he was before this is gonna be a stinker. Kind of reminds me of the David Clarkson deal, though obviously not close to being as bad.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm loving the Yegor Sharangovich signing even more.
Yegor had a great offensive season.
You should talk about it in his thread.
While there you can talk about the 2025 draft, since after the mass exodus of players it's about all there is to look forward too.
To help secure first overall you should play Yegor and Kuzmenko on the same line, combined they almost make a quarter of what Jake is defensively.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Wait…. That’s the wrong Jake! Thought it was a foregone conclusion they were getting Guentzel :sarcasm:

Rumour in Calgary is they weren’t willing to go above 4 years so he took the Vancouver deal. Not sure I like that term.

• Haha
Reactions: Fraser28

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Unless he somehow learns how to be consistent under a more loose system and team, this is gonna look real bad for a while and fans are gonna sour on him real quick until he goes on a 10 game streak. To be fair to him he's been improving with more ice time but...man if he goes back to the way he was before this is gonna be a stinker. Kind of reminds me of the David Clarkson deal, though obviously not close to being as bad.

Well he’s replacing a guy who had 1 goal in like 60 games so there’s some leeway at least

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The fact he will be getting more ice time and with a 100 point centre should be a big plus for him comparing him and his cap hit % to David is just a terrible comp.
Nothing is ever a sure thing but he's been put in a much better role to succeed opposed to Boston.
I'm a fan of the bruins because of how good they did with such a weak centre group and overall lack of offensive players.
The fact that Lindholm is going from 3c here to 1c there says a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad