Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Jake DeBrusk signs with the Canucks (7 years, $5.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Good when he's motivated, frustrating when he's not. Usually good in the playoffs, solid all around game, disappears for months though. Natural LW but did play RW with Bergeron and Marchand for his best season.

I think both he and the Bruins are better off going their separate ways.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The fact he will be getting more ice time and with a 100 point centre should be a big plus for him comparing him and his cap hit % to David is just a terrible comp.
Nothing is ever a sure thing but he's been put in a much better role to succeed opposed to Boston.
I'm a fan of the bruins because of how good they did with such a weak centre group and overall lack of offensive players.
The fact that Lindholm is going from 3c here to 1c there says a lot.

I doubt he gets much more ice time really. The lines seem set up to keep the Joshua-Garland line together which means the top 9 will be spread out. I imagine he’ll be around the 16 he’s been getting. And he’s already spent a lot of ice time with Marchand, Bergeron and Pastrnak over the years, and in front of guys like McAvoy and Lindholm. I don’t think it’s really a significantly difference situation.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Addition by subtraction for Boston.

Maybe this changes his outlook on things, but very frustrating player. Way to often a passenger and disappears way to much in the playoffs when it gets physical.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I really like DeBrusk. I wish the Bruins could have kept him but they needed a center and LD more. People have been hating on DeBrusk for most of his career yet he just gets better when it matters most

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I like it.

Looking at some of the RIDICULOUS deals of today, this one feels like a really worthy bet.

We gave him 7 years, but he's only 27 years old. And 5.5 seems like a fair deal now and it will only improve. He's also a guy with a lot of utility. So even in stretches where he goes cold, he provides solid penalty killing, forechecking, netfront presence, etc.

Also has some size and speed to replace what we lost (and rightfully so) in dealing Mikheyev and Lafferty.

Maybe this changes his outlook on things, but very frustrating player. Way to often a passenger and disappears way to much in the playoffs when it gets physical.
Disappears in the playoffs? He's always one of your more prominent players in the playoffs and haunts Leaf's fans dreams.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seems like a lot for a 40 point winger. Would have rather tried wennberg for shorter term or another solid dman.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Have to remember he also had other teams after him which likely drove up the years.

Calgary wanted him, but on a shorter term deal.
Edmonton wanted him but needed to clear cap.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

Doesn’t he have like 28 goals and like 80 games in the playoffs?

Mikheyev has like 3 in 70 lmao

WreckedUm

Damn near killed ‘em
Nov 25, 2018
He was carried/sheltered by Bergeron/Marchand for most of his career and didn't like the big mean words Cassidy had for him.

Im sure Tocchet will bust of the kid gloves for him. :sarcasm:

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Ja

he has 9G and 10A in his last 27 playoff games, while being excellent on the PK and not really being deployed with top players for most of that time (last season's 7 game serious notwithstanding). He's a really good player and if he gets a bit more time on the PP and plays with EP or JT Miller at 5v5, he will help them keep the puck and score a lot.

canuckfaithful

Jun 6, 2012
He is going to play with better quality players in Vancouver and get more of an opportunity. There’s every reason for him to hit his prime and new highs in the next 3 to 4 years.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Looks like he's a shoot-first and fast-skating, north-south kind of player?
Wonder if Petey and him can gel, with Petey setting him up for chances off the rush.
He reminds me of what we wanted Mikheyev to be before his shot went M.I.A.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He is going to play with better quality players in Vancouver and get more of an opportunity. There’s every reason for him to hit his prime and new highs in the next 3 to 4 years.

Jake's a streaky player.

You'll think he's a top 3 to 5 player for certain stretches and then say "is he playing today?"

He's played with top end talent in Boston. Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta to name a few....he needs to be more consistent.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

He might, but a lot of them have the feel of the passenger type goals.

He's certainly had a few big plays/goals, but you just get the feel He's more a passenger who can de designated driver on occasion

Frustrating when you see the play and intensity for spurts only.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Quality of players: Boston > Vancouver
Quality of coaching staff: Boston > Vancouver

If Boston struggled with the kid, so will Vancouver

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I like it.

Looking at some of the RIDICULOUS deals of today, this one feels like a really worthy bet.

We gave him 7 years, but he's only 27 years old. And 5.5 seems like a fair deal now and it will only improve. He's also a guy with a lot of utility. So even in stretches where he goes cold, he provides solid penalty killing, forechecking, netfront presence, etc.

Also has some size and speed to replace what we lost (and rightfully so) in dealing Mikheyev and Lafferty.

Disappears in the playoffs? He's always one of your more prominent players in the playoffs and haunts Leaf's fans dreams.
He's not physical. Some spurts here or⁶ there and that's it.

Outside of the Kadri series I don't think most leafs were ever worried about him.

Hope he can turn the consistency around, could be a great player.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Literally just led your team in scoring in the playoffs, if he disappears in the playoffs I wonder what you thought of Pastrnak/Marchand?

Not crazy about the term, but the AAV is palatable.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He might, but a lot of them have the feel of the passenger type goals.

He's certainly had a few big plays/goals, but you just get the feel He's more a passenger who can de designated driver on occasion

Frustrating when you see the play and intensity for spurts only.
Canucks need more of a passenger type player. A Hyman type player who doesn’t really do much but also does a lot

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Wait…. That’s the wrong Jake! Thought it was a foregone conclusion they were getting Guentzel :sarcasm:
There are two Jakes?!
1719873567545.png

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Wait…. That’s the wrong Jake! Thought it was a foregone conclusion they were getting Guentzel :sarcasm:

Rumour in Calgary is they weren’t willing to go above 4 years so he took the Vancouver deal. Not sure I like that term.
He's 27. We've seen guys sign for 5+ years at the age he will be when this deal expires.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Quality of players: Boston > Vancouver
Quality of coaching staff: Boston > Vancouver

If Boston struggled with the kid, so will Vancouver

I'm not shitting on Boston here, what they've got going on shows just how well run their organization is. We've seen the likes of Chara, Bergeron, Rask, Thomas all retire/leave, and the Bruins have not missed a beat. Playing with Pettersson as your center is much different than having Coyle/Zacha as your centers, regardless of playing with Marchand. We don't have crazy expectations either, if he stays healthy and puts up 50 points that would be a successful season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad