Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Daniel Sprong signs with the Canucks (1 year, $975k)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Really nice value for Vancouver here. As has been said, he has his major flaws but the production vs minutes played vs salary is a nice get. He’ll get you to the TDL and probably not play in the playoffs unless the Canucks are decimated by injuries but for those 60-70 games to start the year he’ll get his points and create a threat in limited minutes.

I have to say I am amused to see hypothetical lineups posted with him playing in the top 6 and posts talking about him scoring 30 or 35 goals or 60+ points this year 😂. I would sooner take a bet that he plays less than 50 games on a Tocchet coached team than hit those numbers or stick in the top 6. If Sprong is sticking in Vancouver’s top 6 I don’t think their cup aspirations are very legitimate. He’s been a depth player on every roster he’s played on and not many of those teams were very good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Really nice value for Vancouver here. As has been said, he has his major flaws but the production vs minutes played vs salary is a nice get. He’ll get you to the TDL and probably not play in the playoffs unless the Canucks are decimated by injuries but for those 60-70 games to start the year he’ll get his points and create a threat in limited minutes.

I have to say I am amused to see hypothetical lineups posted with him playing in the top 6 and posts talking about him scoring 30 or 35 goals or 60+ points this year 😂. I would sooner take a bet that he plays less than 50 games on a Tocchet coached team than hit those numbers or stick in the top 6. If Sprong is sticking in Vancouver’s top 6 I don’t think their cup aspirations are very legitimate. He’s been a depth player on every roster he’s played on and not many of those teams were very good.

Sprong absolutely has the scoring tools to score 30+ goals. Quite easily if he's playing with Pettersson or Miller.

The reason Sprong hasn't gotten those roles is because he doesn't play a lick of defense. So it might not be very good for Vancouver if he's in the top six, and I don't expect Tocchet to play him there often, but if he does, he'll score in bunches.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Maybe I'll be proven wrong (it's happened before lol), but I think anyone still expecting Sprong to break out into a top 6 30+ goal scorer is kidding themself. He is what he is at this point, which is an all offense absolutely zero defense bottom 6 winger that needs extremely sheltered deployment to produce at the rate that he does at 5v5. There's a reason he's moving on to his third team in 3 years after 2 straight 40+ point seasons.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's a reason he's moving on to his third team in 3 years after 2 straight 40+ point seasons.

Yes, it's the absolutely zero defense part. That's why.

You don't want him getting your top scorers stuck in your zone. You're not worried about whether he can score, it's the other club scoring that has been the issue for his coaches.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Getting sprong doesn't mean you trade away Hoglander lol. Atleast I hope not
Yeah Hoglander just put up 24 goals and seems to be moving in the right direction for his future. I mean at best maybe you package Podkolzin for a young RHD if they're in a dire need to before his allure wanes as he moves another year towards not showing enough.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong (it's happened before lol), but I think anyone still expecting Sprong to break out into a top 6 30+ goal scorer is kidding themself. He is what he is at this point, which is an all offense absolutely zero defense bottom 6 winger that needs extremely sheltered deployment to produce at the rate that he does at 5v5. There's a reason he's moving on to his third team in 3 years after 2 straight 40+ point seasons.
He put up 40+ pts twice from 4th line usage. His offense isn't an issue anymore. He's fully capable of hitting 30 goals. His development was screwed from JR, MJ and Sullivan. It took him a few years to really figure out his game again but he has in terms of offense. He's never going to be some defensive wizard. He was never drafted to be. Pens tried to turn him into something he wasn't and left him confused. No one should be surprised a dipshit like Sullivan would do that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

This is one thing I was thinking too. He might not be a playoff regular ultimately but you need to win those random games in December and January as well. While so far been no indication that he won’t be, the possibility Boeser isn’t ready in training camp also means they might need some extra scoring to start the year

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Great deal for VAN. Wish the Leafs could have snagged him. Surprised he signed so cheap.
Really? Are your surprised every off-season when this happens after his previous team gives up on him, only after some healthy scratches too.

He scores points. Nothing else. Negative contribution elsewhere. I would much rather the Leafs give Robertson this ice time and there is no way I want them both in the top nine...or fourth line.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
At that price I would have take him for sure in Montréal, to than trade him for picks at the tdl

Cheap ass contract for a reliable player

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
While possible, if hes given that much opportunity its probably a bad sign. Hes essentially a 4th liner who can give quick offense, play up the line up in a pinch but is a defensive liablity and tends to wear off his welcome quick with franchises.
Sprong might have been a Defensive liability at 18-23 but not anymore...Some guys are the whipping boys! Love that Stevie Why gave him away he's an idiot! Sprong is a good player at times flashes great great goals...he's a natural LWinger they(most teams) converted him to the RWing...tends to wear out welcome? Just for idiot coaches that don't know how to use him or play favorites...Hakstol was an idiot for letting him walk and not using him properly...Seattle's PP 2 was non existent and PP 1 was awful too...as for Detroit well too many big heads who needed ice time

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Dhaliwal bloke is an epic tosser so I'm going to ignore that wanker entirely.
Dhaliwal is probably the best insider in the NHL right now, and yes he get's fed information from agents, but is also extremely accurate, especially with anything canucks related.

Reactions: lawrence

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
the worst case scenario with this signing is he turns into a free 3rd round pick at the TD or a 2nd from a desperate bubble team.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Really? Are your surprised every off-season when this happens after his previous team gives up on him, only after some healthy scratches too.

He scores points. Nothing else. Negative contribution elsewhere. I would much rather the Leafs give Robertson this ice time and there is no way I want them both in the top nine...or fourth line.
13 minutes a game with 40 points and almost 20 goals.
Even if you are bad defensively, you can still use him in offensive situations and on the 2nd PP and be useful.

Also let's not kid ourselves, Rick Tochett is not gonna let this guy coast, if he does he will get plastered on the bench.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Sprong might have been a Defensive liability at 18-23 but not anymore...Some guys are the whipping boys! Love that Stevie Why gave him away he's an idiot! Sprong is a good player at times flashes great great goals...he's a natural LWinger they(most teams) converted him to the RWing...tends to wear out welcome? Just for idiot coaches that don't know how to use him or play favorites...Hakstol was an idiot for letting him walk and not using him properly...Seattle's PP 2 was non existent and PP 1 was awful too...as for Detroit well too many big heads who needed ice time
No actually the coaches and GMs aren't idiots on this one. Sprong is now on his 4th team in 4 seasons. There reason is because he is God awful definitely. Sure he scores at a decent rate for a bottom 6 forward. But he hurts the team by not playing defense that once he starts going cold offensively or you are in a playoff race he gets scratched.

Reactions: biturbo19

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Just having him on the team at 975K and being able to scratch him with relative impunity as your 13th over someone like Phil Di Giuseppe or Linus Karlsson is already a win in itself. Anything else is gravy at this low a cap hit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not sure about line combos but adding Sprong with no subtractions puts them at like 16 NHL caliber forwards of varying degrees

Petey
Miller
Boeser
DeBrusk
Hoglander
Garland
Joshua
Bleuger
Heinen
Sherwood
Suter
Podkolzin
PDG
Aman
Sprong
Karlsson

Obviously some of these guys will be in the AHL anyway but still

I think this is overstating it a bit, but there is a valid question in there about who actually makes the cut here. It's also not like Sprong is on a contract that guarantees him a roster spot. Could just as easily bury him if (or when) Tocchet decides he wants nothing to do with him.

But it's a problem. Karlsson is a non-factor. So that whittles it down to 15. From there, you can probably slip Aman through waivers easily enough. He's a zero offense 4th liner who isn't particularly special at anything. Nobody is claiming him out of camp when they've got their own guys to look at in house.

So maybe that's how they get to 14F and just carry 7D, which would be entirely reasonable, when they've got a decent collection of potential call-up options on the back end, and a guy like Friedman also probably clears in the muck coming out of camp.

But that leaves them fairly thin on natural NHL capable Centers with just 4 and no extras hiding on the wing. Not a good position to be in at a critical position if a guy gets banged up short-term on a road trip or whatever. You need flexibility to shuffle things and compensate down the middle.

Maybe it's PDG that they try to send down. He's cleared a dozen times before and as a journeyman utility player with no standout skills at his age, there's a good chance he'd clear again. But he's seemed like a real favourite of Tocchet's for his work rate, dependability, PK ability, versatility, etc. and seems like a bit of a "depth glue guy" in the room insomuch as that's a thing. Including the fact he's a guy who seems to willingly accept whatever role he's given, including "Press Box Popcorn Eater" on any given night. And it really does take away another PK option and defensively responsible guy, which has been the default "when in doubt" roster selection with Tocchet for the most part.

There's no way they'd just waive Podkolzin and absolutely guaranteed lose him for nothing. Everyone else is pretty "safe". So to me, that puts Sprong right as much on the bubble as PDG/Aman...where he's giving up so much defensively, and in PK utility...it's hard to offset.

Especially since Sprong is a lot like Hoglander as a weird "bottom-6 scoring tweener". Unless they're just going to go wild with the whole, "4 third lines" schtick, or to rock a "baby scoring line" as their 4th. Hoggy-Suter-Sprong 4th line, screw it. :laugh:

Debrusk- Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Ep40 - Sprong
Garland - Bleuger - Joshua
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood

That would be fun, lets load it up👀

Personally, i don't think it would be very fun at all for Pettersson to do that to him. After languishing with scrubs most of last year and then ostensibly going out to try to find some better talent for him to play with...to saddle him with a pair of weak to horrendous defensive players he has to carry, who are both basically 4th line scoring wingers. One of whom has repeatedly demonstrated negative chemistry with him. The other late summer barely above minimum sort of "bargain bin" flyer.

My heart would hurt so much for poor Petey if after their whole offseason rearranging...they did that to the guy. :laugh:

Reactions: bh53

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Even if you are bad defensively, you can still use him in offensive situations and on the 2nd PP and be useful.

Also let's not kid ourselves, Rick Tochett is not gonna let this guy coast, if he does he will get plastered on the bench.
Rick Tocchet won't let blokes coast but he also won't be stupid to know what that player can do for him. Sprong under Hakstol and Lalonde was a 40pt winger in limited 4th line usage and at times he got a sip in the top 9. He's given lesser players longer rope.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I need to emphasize to those that are still critizing his 0 defense for this signing.

His contract is close to league minimum, for a player who proved that he can score points in very limited minutes.

This is a calculated bet that every good GM should be trying to make. The Pius Suter signing was a hit, this one could be one, at under 1 million there is no downside, he can be scratched if, say, Lekkerimaki warrants a call up.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

That's what happens every year. He gets plastered to a bench either in game or as a healthy scratch.

I guess if you can shelter a guy in a few ES minutes and give him PP time ove other guys on the team, then he could bring value. I actually thought the Canucks are too good to find ice time for someone like Sprong. I would have thought he would have signed for a bottom feeder or a team desperate for scoring.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Probably more like, "nobody has interest in Sprong - so his agent asked Dhaliwal to put it out there that he has a suitor to try to drum something up". :laugh: That's usually his schtick when it's something like this.

Like...people thought RikTok was unfair and too hard on Kuzmenko for his defensive play and effort level? How is Sprong ever gonna even see the ice under him? :laugh: There's a good reason a guy with his sort of offensive skillset is still unsigned at this point in the summer. With his agent trying to use the various mouthpieces like Dhaliwal to drum up some sort of sense of interest somewhere.
Great call. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Rick Tocchet won't let blokes coast but he also won't be stupid to know what that player can do for him. Sprong under Hakstol and Lalonde was a 40pt winger in limited 4th line usage and at times he got a sip in the top 9. He's given lesser players longer rope.

I just call him Coach Rick.

I gotta question for ya though. The spelling of Honour there in your username, it's curious to me. Pens fan obviously, but are you possibly Canadian? As far as I know it's pretty cut and dried that it's Honor in the US and A and it's Honour using the Queen's English.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Great call. :sarcasm:

:dunno:

Guess Dhaliwal wasn't just tooting an agent buddy's horn this particular time. Or maybe he was, and it just happened to work out. Rare, but it does happen. Dhali does have nuggets of truth in there sometimes. In a sea of agent speak.

But point still stands for the rest of it. It's a $975k 1-year nothing deal in late July. There's a reason there was presumably very little, if any other real interest, to yield only a throwaway "bargain bin flyer" type deal like that.

Not really sure what the Canucks are doing with him. But at this price, if Tocchet doesn't like him, they can bury him to nowhere. So maybe they're just taking a flyer banking on the idea that the weird structure of their team with "3 third lines" or whatever, is a place where Sprong could continue to be productive, as a guy like Hoglander was (and maybe angling to potentially hedge against some expected regression there?).

It's a very, "by committee" approach, so why not i guess. It's just...the wagon is already pretty full, and Sprong has never struck me as remotely "part of the committee" as a player, giving a responsible, honest, two-way effort every night in whatever is asked of him. So that's a big puzzling to me.

But again...if it doesn't work, RikTok can send him to Bali. Or Calgary. Or The Abbottsford berry farm.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Sprong can score 20 goals playing with scrubs getting 11:50 mins a night then 25 goals with Petey and Debrusk should be easy. 30 even.... That is, if Coach doesnt bench him for not backchecking lol

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I just call him Coach Rick.

I gotta question for ya though. The spelling of Honour there in your username, it's curious to me. Pens fan obviously, but are you possibly Canadian? As far as I know it's pretty cut and dried that it's Honor in the US and A and it's Honour using the Queen's English.
Ask yourself mate, which other country uses that spelling and all shall be revealed to you.

• Love
Reactions: LandfiII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad