Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Considering it was the same product as we saw for years in Ottawa... The rest of us know how dumb a number of you in this thread will look in a few weeks time.

Nobody is saying he's the next Hughes, the overwhelming sentiment is that he's been good as a bottom pairing D man.

He has played very curated minutes. Not anywhere close to #5 D.

He will be reassigned to the minors or back on waivers before the end of the season. A lot of people will be confused and claim that the Canucks are wrong for not keeping him.

I have seen this story 1000 times with multiple defenseman who get the kind of deployment Brannstrom is getting, where people overrate their performance without accounting for deployment.

He's carrying the bottom pairing, that means he's playing like a #5.

All bottom pairing D get sheltered minutes, if they didn't they'd be top 4D.

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
Yall need to chill, the takeaway here is he has elevated our bottom pairing and that has translated to more depth scoring. A welcome change considering how Forbort and VD as a pair looked early on. He is an RFA cost controlled and due a small raise, if he can keep this up it is found money as the pick sent to Colorado was around the going rate to dump poolmans cap hit.

Reactions: bh53

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Considering it was the same product as we saw for years in Ottawa... The rest of us know how dumb a number of you in this thread will look in a few weeks time.
Sure, sure. All the Colorado fans in this thread have been intensely watching Ottawa games for years. Just in case one of their bottom pairing d-men becomes a ufa and signs with the Avs. Uh-huh.

Funny though- Sens fans have much more nuanced, and sometimes contradictory, takes on this player. Almost like they watched him for longer than one camp.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
All bottom pairing D get sheltered minutes, if they didn't they'd be top 4D.

Everything is relative. It's an objective truth that he is playing highly curated and managed minutes relative to your average bottom pairing defenseman. 14 minutes a night is nowhere near average bottom pairing minutes, let alone with the kind of hand picked deployment and competition he has faced.

Nothing he has shown is any different from what he brought in Ottawa all these years. He will be back down in the AHL or in the press box pending the health of Vancouver's lineup. Although, they might lose him to waivers if another team has injuries, because as you're seeing in Vancouver now he is a solid pro. He's just one that cannot be trusted to play a big enough role to be an everyday NHLer. Which is why I suspect he's being used in the way he is in Vancouver as per the curated minutes.

He will be out of the NHL by next year because he's a superstar in every other league in the world, and there won't be 1-way money on the table for him.

People do this all the time. Puck moving defenseman look great playing minimal minutes with buttersoft deployment, and people overrate their performance without realizing that it's not something that can be scaled up into a bigger role because you can't shelter Ds playing bigger minutes like that.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Welcome to Vancouver Canucks fans :laugh:
You were saying Sam Girard was better than Quinn Hughes a couple of years ago so...maybe chill a bit on the smugness?

He's been found money and exactly the type of player I was hoping we would acquire for the bottom pairing to play with Vincent Desharnais.

That said, do I think he will be a regular for us in the playoffs? I suspect not as he's small and gets trucked from time to time, meaning against certain teams he might be fine, but if he's trying to take on Miles Wood, Jamie Benn, Evander Kane types he'd probably be a risk to be taken out of a game early and leave us with 5 D.

But I like what I've seen and you do need guys to get you there. He has some real poise and skill, he tries his ass off, and most of his reads have been pretty good.

tanti9

Dec 18, 2023
I believe he is doing well and reading through this post, that should not be a total surprise to everyone. More than one Senator fan have said that Brannstrom was good when filling in for their top D, when they were injured. Brannstrom will never live up to his draft status, but he was rated high in his draft year for a reason. If he can become a 4/5 for Vancouver that would be huge, and give the Canucks some flexibility. We know Canucks like their size back there but Brannstrom gives them a different look back there as long as he can be defensive reliable he will earn his ice time.

Let's see where Brannstrom is at after 20 games or so (if he can hold a spot).

Reactions: bh53 and Grantham

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
You were saying Sam Girard was better than Quinn Hughes a couple of years ago so...maybe chill a bit on the smugness?

He's been found money and exactly the type of player I was hoping we would acquire for the bottom pairing to play with Vincent Desharnais.

That said, do I think he will be a regular for us in the playoffs? I suspect not as he's small and gets trucked from time to time, meaning against certain teams he might be fine, but if he's trying to take on Miles Wood, Jamie Benn, Evander Kane types he'd probably be a risk to be taken out of a game early and leave us with 5 D.

But I like what I've seen and you do need guys to get you there. He has some real poise and skill, he tries his ass off, and most of his reads have been pretty good.
I would advise to take anything that poster you responded to says with a grain of salt.

• Love
Reactions: bh53 and Coffee

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Yeah, way too early to consider this a major triumph. But any way you look at it, it's a decent piece of business to turn Podkolzin (who was going to be on waivers) and LTIRetired Poolman into a cheap contract that fits a specific need. Branny has looked really solid so far, in limited showings.

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
@Pierce Hawthorne

What’s disappointing is you’re actually a top 20 poster from the class of 2012 join date posters , when you’re coming from a place of non biased observation

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Sure, sure. All the Colorado fans in this thread have been intensely watching Ottawa games for years. Just in case one of their bottom pairing d-men becomes a ufa and signs with the Avs. Uh-huh.

Funny though- Sens fans have much more nuanced, and sometimes contradictory, takes on this player. Almost like they watched him for longer than one camp.
There was one year Aves fans watched the Sens with close interest.

Imagine how good the Aves could have been if Ottawa let them take the Brady Tkachuk pick instead of the Byram pick.

Scary thought.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Yep. Bowen byram was better than seider and Hughes too lol.

People used analytics for a 6 team sample in the Covid season. It was the biggest joke I have ever seen in overrating players, essentially showing how every underlying model was just useless as it was 4 separate leagues, not 1.
Ask holland about overrating defense from the Covid divisions in who he signed to a contract from it.

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Do you know what’s fascinating, I can already predict who types what posts on these websites without actually reading their names, quite a talent.

Pierce you are one of a kind
He really is, one of the biggest trolls on here and is absolutely obsessed with the Canucks.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
He really is, one of the biggest trolls on here and is absolutely obsessed with the Canucks.

According to the board rules

"2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling."

but apparently what he is doing isn't breaking any rules.:confused:

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
Easy, boys

@Breakers when Pierce is on his game, dude’s legit by all accounts. You bringing up his flaws and failing to acknowledge his strengths doesn’t set up for a progressive conversation and don’t see why P would have a open to ear to that

Just my two cents , and the only reason I’m even being nosy is because there’s good hockey talk to be had here

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Everything is relative. It's an objective truth that he is playing highly curated and managed minutes relative to your average bottom pairing defenseman. 14 minutes a night is nowhere near average bottom pairing minutes, let alone with the kind of hand picked deployment and competition he has faced.

Nothing he has shown is any different from what he brought in Ottawa all these years. He will be back down in the AHL or in the press box pending the health of Vancouver's lineup. Although, they might lose him to waivers if another team has injuries, because as you're seeing in Vancouver now he is a solid pro. He's just one that cannot be trusted to play a big enough role to be an everyday NHLer. Which is why I suspect he's being used in the way he is in Vancouver as per the curated minutes.

He will be out of the NHL by next year because he's a superstar in every other league in the world, and there won't be 1-way money on the table for him.

People do this all the time. Puck moving defenseman look great playing minimal minutes with buttersoft deployment, and people overrate their performance without realizing that it's not something that can be scaled up into a bigger role because you can't shelter Ds playing bigger minutes like that.

While this is largely true, i think it's still worth mentioning that they don't really need it to scale. It's a nice surprise, just to have Brannstrom looking competent and bringing a little bit of puck movement to the bottom-pairing of a team that badly needs more of that element than their other Bottom-4 defencemen bring to the table.

Like...nobody is expecting it to scale to high leverage Top-4 minutes. But the reality is, he has been solid in the curated bottom-pairing minutes they've asked him to play. Which is fine value and a pleasant surprise on what was largely seen as a "contract dump" in this Poolman deal. Getting an actually playable NHLer even in protected minutes, is just a pure bonus.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022

"2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling."

@Pierce Hawthorne is a GOAT Avs board poster who predicted both the Avs 2022 and subsequent downfall. Well in advance.

He is an acknowledged hockey genius.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Nope, but I bet I get singled out by a mod for my post, because that is the real problem..............

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

Sick, but the Canucks aren't trying to scale that up. They needed a puck moving #5 who's minutes they can afford to shelter, Brannstrom is giving them that.

That's all people are excited for.

Reactions: Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad