Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

beardo

Jan 29, 2024
He is perfectly fine in that #7-8D wheelhouse.

In Ottawa, it's that his game never progressed beyond that point and he had a 2M QO.

I don't see him sticking in the NHL beyond this season, but it's nice to see him get another shot somewhere.
Weird take. He’s been good. Troy stretcher keeps getting jobs and so far Brannstrom is significantly better, and I loved Troy Stetcher.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Except to the coaching staff/management when guys are fighting for spots? It's become apparent that some guys just don't fit into the Avs system. It's clear Brannstrom is talented but the Avs are overloaded with guys with a similar skill set and he got caved in defensively in his short stint here.

So did Kylington, but they are clearly more committed to him and he's got a longer track record. Waiving Brannstrom allowed Avs to pick up Ludvig, who fills a much more pressing need in the same role and had a much better showing in limited action. It seems to be working out for all parties involved, and I don't think the Avs feel like they've missed out.
Except he has played nothing like Colorado Avalanche fans have said he played like, So much so let me show you this lovely chart.

Most of the time in preseason players get a bad rap, because they have to play with fringe NHL, players that simply don’t give a f*** because it’s preseason.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He is perfectly fine in that #7-8D wheelhouse.

In Ottawa, it's that his game never progressed beyond that point and he had a 2M QO.

I don't see him sticking in the NHL beyond this season, but it's nice to see him get another shot somewhere.

This isn't true.

He easily surpassed being a #7-8 in Ottawa. He even played in the top 4 numerous times because of injuries and was a positive influence. The pairing of Brannstrom-Zud was one of our best.

He had chemistry with everyone he played with, he had some of the best advanced stats on the Sens and many other defenceman had some of their best advanced stats playing with Brannstrom.

He made Ottawas 3rd pair decent despite being sandbagged by players like Hamonic and mostly playing with the plug bottom 6.

How would a #7/8 be able to do all this?

Truth is that he is and was a great number 5 and it you pair him with a big defenceman who clears the net you have a great pairing.

More than that he is only 25 and already shown he can hold his own in the top 4 and now that he is playing in a high IQ system with high IQ players he has enough ability to become a top 4 defenceman.

And if not he's still a bargain at 900k.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Except he has played nothing like Colorado Avalanche fans have said he played like, So much so let me show you this lovely chart.

Most of the time in preseason players get a bad rap, because they have to play with fringe NHL, players that simply don’t give a f*** because it’s preseason.
Brannstrom signed for a minimum league contract, he was considered a fringe NHL player. If he approached the preseason expecting to be given a spot and half-assed the camp and pre-season games, that's not a great mentality to have.

He was trash in Colorado for his short stint here, but end of the day it's a short sample size. I'd take what Ottawa fans say to be a more accurate depiction of Brannstrom's actual ability. I'm glad he's doing well in Vancouver, but he was not a fit with the Avs.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He's been playing like a #5 in Vancouver so far.

He has played very curated minutes. Not anywhere close to #5 D.

He will be reassigned to the minors or back on waivers before the end of the season. A lot of people will be confused and claim that the Canucks are wrong for not keeping him.

I have seen this story 1000 times with multiple defenseman who get the kind of deployment Brannstrom is getting, where people overrate their performance without accounting for deployment.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Small sample size in Vancouver but I’ve been really impressed with him so far. Looking like a solid bottom pairing pickup with strong skating and puck moving skills with the potential to move up to the second pairing if he continues to improve.
Really liking this pickup so far.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This isn't true.

He easily surpassed being a #7-8 in Ottawa. He even played in the top 4 numerous times because of injuries and was a positive influence. The pairing of Brannstrom-Zud was one of our best.

He had chemistry with everyone he played with, he had some of the best advanced stats on the Sens and many other defenceman had some of their best advanced stats playing with Brannstrom.

He made Ottawas 3rd pair decent despite being sandbagged by players like Hamonic and mostly playing with the plug bottom 6.

How would a #7/8 be able to do all this?

Truth is that he is and was a great number 5 and it you pair him with a big defenceman who clears the net you have a great pairing.

More than that he is only 25 and already shown he can hold his own in the top 4 and now that he is playing in a high IQ system with high IQ players he has enough ability to become a top 4 defenceman.

And if not he's still a bargain at 900k.

He had short periods where he played a bigger role on a very bad Ottawa team, but he was never able to stick with it. He rarely rised up as more than a 6-7 tweener type outside of his one big season. Outside of one season, he was never a #5 D here.

Look at our D core over the last 5 or so years and consider that Brannstrom failed to stick there over multiple coaches, and then failed to make the Avalanche.

People are gushing over him in VAN while he is playing incredibly curated minutes. If he takes another step forward that's one thing, but as of now he has shown nothing to suggest he will stick in the NHL as anything more than a guy they can plug in when needed if they manage his deployment.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He has played very curated minutes. Not anywhere close to #5 D.

He will be reassigned to the minors or back on waivers before the end of the season. A lot of people will be confused and claim that the Canucks are wrong for not keeping him.

I have seen this story 1000 times with multiple defenseman who get the kind of deployment Brannstrom is getting, where people overrate their performance without accounting for deployment.

If you get his deployment and the player blows it out of the park, isn't that ideal? Like the best case scenario? Isn't he doing exactly what he is supposed to?

A cheap player who you can throw out and not worry about him harming the team? Not only that but a cheap player who you know will help your depth outplay the teams other depth, who you know can step up and play higher in the lineup if the need arises.

What more could you want from a cheap bottom pair d?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If you get his deployment and the player blows it out of the park, isn't that ideal? Like the best case scenario? Isn't he doing exactly what he is supposed to?

A cheap player who you can throw out and not worry about him harming the team? Not only that but a cheap player who you know will help your depth outplay the teams other depth, who you know can step up and play higher in the lineup if the need arises.

What more could you want from a cheap bottom pair d?

You're moving the goal posts.

He is not a #5 D.

I've never argued that he wasn't someone who could be a fringe NHLer. Which is the role he has now.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
He had short periods where he played a bigger role on a very bad Ottawa team, but he was never able to stick with it. He rarely rised up as more than a 6-7 tweener type outside of his one big season. Outside of one season, he was never a #5 D here.

Look at our D core over the last 5 or so years and consider that Brannstrom failed to stick there over multiple coaches, and then failed to make the Avalanche.

People are gushing over him in VAN while he is playing incredibly curated minutes. If he takes another step forward that's one thing, but as of now he has shown nothing to suggest he will stick in the NHL as anything more than a guy they can plug in when needed if they manage his deployment.

What do you mean he was never able to stick with it? We pay Chabot 8 mill to do that job, and Sanderson is one of the best d talents in the league.

He wasn't going to regularly play in the top 4 because of that had nothing to do with him not being able to stick to it.

And the truth is that many times when an 8 mill Chabot went down he was replaced with Brannstrom and the new pairing wouldn't miss a beat.

And what do you mean multiple coaches? for the majority of his career his coach was DJ who was terrible for our young players and in particular Brannstrom. And Brannstrom still did his job.

He did his job under Martin too, and now he's doing his job under Tocchet.

Under all three he was a positive and play driving influence from the bottom pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad