Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
  • Both Poolman and Landeskog will be on LTIR for the entire regular season.
  • Once a team goes into LTI, adding additional LTIR contracts is irrelevant to anything other than contracts /50 and real money.
  • That makes this trade Colorado buying a 4th round pick for cash.
  • Brannstrom goes to Vancouver as a proxy for retention. He is on a 1-way contract and is not going to make Colorado.
  • So it's Colorado buying a 4th round pick for 1.4M (80 percent of Poolman's salary minus Brannstrom's 900k).
  • Retained salary doesn't go on LTIR, so for Vancouver they are paying a 4th round pick to be able to bank money towards the Trade Deadline. They did not have to go into LTI because they could have gotten under the cap, but 2.4M in open cap space is significant.
  • There is also a small chance that they can get a 4th-7th round type pick for Brannstrom down the line. Teams with injuries will always give up late picks for legitimate NHL defenseman. Once he clears and becomes waiver exempt, that makes him more valuable.
Well this part isn't accurate at all.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Both Poolman and Landeskog will be on LTIR for the entire regular season.
I don't think so.

The only real timeline we have to reference is Lonzo Ball of the Chicago Bulls. He had the same surgery as Landy did, 2 months earlier. He's expected to start the season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
  • Once a team goes into LTI, adding additional LTIR contracts is irrelevant to anything other than contracts /50 and real money.
  • Brannstrom goes to Vancouver as a proxy for retention. He is on a 1-way contract and is not going to make Colorado.
  • So it's Colorado buying a 4th round pick for 1.4M (80 percent of Poolman's salary minus Brannstrom's 900k).
  • Retained salary doesn't go on LTIR, so for Vancouver they are paying a 4th round pick to be able to bank money towards the Trade Deadline. They did not have to go into LTI because they could have gotten under the cap, but 2.4M in open cap space is significant.
  • There is also a small chance that they can get a 4th-7th round type pick for Brannstrom down the line. Teams with injuries will always give up late picks for legitimate NHL defenseman. Once he clears and becomes waiver exempt, that makes him more valuable.

I think Brannstrom gets picked up on waivers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the succinct summary. I think there are a lot of posters who really don’t understand the deal and its implications.
This type of deal has been discussed on the Canucks board for months now. Most were expecting a 3rd or 4th round pick to move Poolman so this is right in the ballpark with the 20% retention.

Reactions: BimJenning

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Landeskog isnt even on LTIR (yet) so its too early to say hes out regular season. If he is though, the Avs just got a huge amount of deadline buying power.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm mostly curious about the 20% retention. I believe its possible the Avs are gonna be in a situation where they're actually still going to get to bank cap space. IIRC there's something about the Cap and the way LTIR works where if you can get as close to the cap as possible without going over, before utilizing LTIR, you can continue to bank a bunch of space.

I think with the 20% retention the Avs are going to be extremely close to that cap, like maybe $70,000 under or something silly.

Yep the retention amount is very intentional for Colorado to get as close to the cap as possible before opening up the LTIR pool to get maximum effectiveness. Would have been hilarious had it been a non-rounded % like 21.65% so that Colorado was at exactly $0 but I think for simplicity this was the closest round %.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I remember Dhaiwal saying this was the strangest contract he has ever seen. And he has been covering free agency for awhile

Dhaliwal may suck as an insider but he knows the free-agency market and he breaks a ton of signings becuase he knows every agent as thats how he got his start.

There was literally NOBODY offering even close to what Benning gave this guy, like not even in the same universe.
The market was a 1 year deal or 2 year deal at a smaller cap at most.

when he got the text saying "Poolman $2.5".........
he responded "$1.5 Million in year 1, and $1 million in year 2?"
agent responded back saying "No, $2.5 is the AAV"
dhaliwal is like "so an overpayment on a 1 year deal at $2.5"
agent responded "$2.5 AAV x 4"
dhaliwal was like "WHAT???????"

He couldn't fathom such an idiotic contract by Benning to give a guy coming off a 1 assist season $10 million franking dollars.

This contract epitomized Benning as a GM

That's a true story of him breaking that signing and the conversation he had. He just couldn't believe it. Like nobody was offering that.
Benning just came from the top rope.

This was ranked as the worst contract by pretty much everyone in 2021.

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Brannstrom gets picked up on waivers.

I don't think he gets picked up on waivers unless there is an injury before the time a claim has to be made.

I think it's more likely that he clears and then gets traded somewhere else. Especially if another team has their own 1-way contract buried that they can swap in the trade.

I doubt he spends the entire season in Vancouver's org'. Someone will need a defenseman who has played in the NHL before and give up a late pick for him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think he gets picked up on waivers unless there is an injury before the time a claim has to be made.

I think it's more likely that he clears and then gets traded somewhere else. Especially if another team has their own 1-way contract buried that they can swap in the trade.

I doubt he spends the entire season in Vancouver's org'. Someone will need a defenseman who has played in the NHL before and give up a late pick for him.

I think a bad team would give him a shot to let him just all out as a PMD. Like maybe Chicago or Sharks.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not lip service at all... In fact, the current timeline has him back before January.

The timeline still makes sense, because even if he comes off LTIR in January, that wouldn't leave Colorado with much of a runway to bank cap space leading up to the early March TDL. So I still think they would be looking at it like we already have one LTIR contract, adding another has no consequence.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think a bad team would give him a shot to let him just all out as a PMD. Like maybe Chicago or Sharks.

I don't think they will want him on 1-way money when he isn't guaranteed a spot in the NHL.

With that said, it's possible that once he clears a team might take him if they really like him. He won't come with the opportunity spot of taking up an NHL spot, and he could work his way back up.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think they will want him on 1-way money when he isn't guaranteed a spot in the NHL.

With that said, it's possible that once he clears a team might take him if they really like him. He won't come with the opportunity spot of taking up an NHL spot, and he could work his way back up.

Not sure why it matters once he clears waivers. Cause hes still on a NHL contract if they trade for him and dont play him in the NHL. If anyone likes him, just get him now while he is free. Worst case, you waive him and just pay him nhl $ or vancouver will just pick him up again.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Not sure why it matters once he clears waivers. Cause hes still on a NHL contract if they trade for him and dont play him in the NHL. If anyone likes him, just get him now while he is free. Worst case, you waive him and just pay him nhl $ or vancouver will just pick him up again.

It matters because there is an opportunity cost to acquiring or claiming a player during training camp because there are only 23 roster spots. Meaning, acquiring Brannstrom results in a team having to either waive a player, or send down a waiver-exempt player who otherwise would have made their team over Brannstrom.

Once Brannstrom clears, if a team likes him, they have free reign to send him up and down between the AHL and NHL for a specified series of time before he has to be waived again. For example, if Ottawa wants Brannstrom back but doesn't want to waive JBD and wants to give Yakemchuk an audition in the NHL, they could start Brannstrom in the AHL until a spot opens. If they acquire him before he is exempt, they have to move someone off their roster.

It is about control and flexibility. I don't think anybody trades for him because teams don't like burying 1-way money, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone did give up a 6th or 7th round pick for him after he clears. Then we will get the "THEY COULD HAVE HAD HIM FOR FREE" takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad