Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 19th and 31st overall picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Koloko leaving is a reminder to Raps that this is a business. Not a franchise that has a sole purpose of maximizing player earning potential. Put the team's interests first. Otherwise, get someone in charge who will.

Reactions: thewave

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
With Rogers having majority interest now, I'd expect Ujiri won't last beyond current contract, likely mid-2026.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

If Shapiro is still employed despite the absolute mess that the Jays have been for the past 9 years, then Ujiri should be safe.

In 9 years, the Jays have 4 wild card berths (the first one was running back the team that AA built), have a messy payroll structure and haven't won a playoff game in 8 years.

In contrast, the Raptors have 6 division titles, a 3rd in the conference and a 5th in the conference in 11 years (all would be playoff berths by the MLB model). The last two times the Raptors were swept were by Lebron and the Cavs.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020

If Shapiro is still employed despite the absolute mess that the Jays have been for the past 9 years, then Ujiri should be safe.

In 9 years, the Jays have 4 wild card berths (the first one was running back the team that AA built), have a messy payroll structure and haven't won a playoff game in 8 years.

In contrast, the Raptors have 6 division titles, a 3rd in the conference and a 5th in the conference in 11 years (all would be playoff berths by the MLB model). The last two times the Raptors were swept were by Lebron and the Cavs.
I think he’s referring to a previous report that alleged Ed didn’t want to re-sign Ujiri a couple of years back, but Tanenbaum and the rest of the board overruled him.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I think he’s referring to a previous report that alleged Ed didn’t want to re-sign Ujiri a couple of years back, but Tanenbaum and the rest of the board overruled him.
On the business side paying him that much each year plus a reported cut of franchise appreciation given the recent performance is cause for dismissal. Championship was 5 years ago and team has been in a downslide ever since. NBA is a talent driven league. They benefited from a very fortunate draft period between 2015-17 but that was a long time ago. I'd move on from him ASAP.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If current 47 year old Vince could back in time he would definitely slap 25 year old Vince upside the head. He acted very immature. Really unprofessional. I am just glad we were able to forgive him and now his number will be in the rafters forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kevin Hays was pretty ardent on Jay Onrait that he thinks retiring Vince Carter’s number is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I think it’s forgive and forget time personally.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kevin Hays was pretty ardent on Jay Onrait that he thinks retiring Vince Carter’s number is a disgrace and an embarrassment.

Everything but retiring the number is fine. Why would that number be retired? Guess we better retire Kawhi number as well, he gut us a chip and Lowry. Pascal was a big part too.

I get Hayes on this. Hang it up dont retire the number

Reactions: TMLAM34

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

As was mentioned on a few different shows, the Raptors seemingly planned to retire Lowry first with VC right after until the Nets decided to rush their VC jersey retirement.

Thing is, VC was ROY in year 1 in Toronto, an all-star in the next 6 years, and had 4 top 20 MVP vote seasons in Toronto.

On top of that, he legitimized the Raptors as a franchise. If the Raptors had better management in those days, he likely doesn't leave.

How he left still stings, but in hindsight, you can see that some of the "not playing hard" was actually poor deployment (look quickly at the team composition and you'll realize that for a good chunk of the game Bosh was C and VC and MoPete had to cover the 4 as undersized guys).

Reactions: Pink Mist

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Everything but retiring the number is fine. Why would that number be retired? Guess we better retire Kawhi number as well, he gut us a chip and Lowry. Pascal was a big part too.

I get Hayes on this. Hang it up dont retire the number
Kawhi was here for one year. No one is talking retiring his number.

Lowry's number will be retired.

I think DeRozan is the odd man out for jersey retirements. He has good stats, but he was in Toronto for 9 years and only made 3 AS games.

The other guy that should have his jersey retired is Bosh, but that won't happen until Scottie is done with it (and assuming that he has a wonderful career, Scottie will have the number retired first).

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad