Raptors Discussion: v40 | NBA Draft: TONIGHT| 7pm ET/4pm PT | TSN | Raps pick 20th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

I hope that the Raptors will trade for Andrew Wiggins, a local guy.

Its not happening and I am happy. He would cost way to much and I am not trading so many players just for one player who hasn't proven anything.
Are you saying we trade for him because he is a local guy?:shakehead:

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Let Wiggins go to Milwaukee and we'll go after him when he's a free agent.

Him going to Philadelphia scares me a little bit but neither Cleveland or Milwaukee are places that he'll stay.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
So whats a fair amount to give Lowry? 10-12 mil a season?

10 million if he decides to take a bit of a discount. 12 million if he wants to get paid, any way you look at it we had some pretty high paid PG's in the past that didn't play like this guy.

IMO if he wants to stay the money is there for him, question is will be buy into the fad of joining a powerhouse team like Houston, or Miami or who ever else decides to try and group on over the summer.

IMO he'll be making a big mistake going to Miami if that rumour is true. because it sure as hell won't be the same kind of freedom he has in Toronto. But imo even If he does decide to leave yes it will leave a big hole but I am confident the team will and can survive with out him.

Dingers

Dec 18, 2011
29bddv6.jpg

Bring back ED

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON
ESPN just revealed that Isaiah Austin (of Baylor) has Marfan's Syndrome. It is a disorder which affects connective tissue, via progressive degeneration.

It means that he will never play competitive basketball ever again. There is the threat his aorta will increase in size and cause complications.

As a person in his early twenties also facing some health complications and spending the summer in and out of treatment, this news absolutely breaks my heart. Seems like a classy guy too.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd love to bring Ed Davis back because I was a huge Davis fan. He's not developed the way we would've hoped but part of that has to do with the fact that Memphis has let him rot for a year and a half because he's stuck behind two of the game's best bigs in Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol.

The one hurdle to joining the Raptors is that the team is already deep at PF. Presuming Hansbrough and Patterson stay, you'd have to find a way to get minutes to all of:

Amir
Patterson
Hansbrough
Davis
Hayes if he sticks around (though he's more of a candidate to be stapled to the end of teh bench in a suit most of the time)

None of them is really suitable for being the backup C either. Patterson's play style is more suited to PF, Hansbrough is too short even for a smallball backup C, and Davis isn't a good enough individual defender.

I like Davis a lot and it'd be great to see him back in Toronto, I just don't know if it makes sense given the team's existing glut of PFs. Plus that money would be better spent elsewhere on the roster.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
ESPN just revealed that Isaiah Austin (of Baylor) has Marfan's Syndrome. It is a disorder which affects connective tissue, via progressive degeneration.

It means that he will never play competitive basketball ever again. There is the threat his aorta will increase in size and cause complications.

As a person in his early twenties also facing some health complications and spending the summer in and out of treatment, this news absolutely breaks my heart. Seems like a classy guy too.

Yeah, that's terrible to hear. This isn't like a Josh Harding situation where even though he has MS, at least Harding could still play (even though it looks like he will likely be perma-LTIRed and never play another game either). This is one where boom: It's over, just like that, and nothing can be done. Absolutely heartbreaking to hear.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I remember hearing about his blind eye and how he had a detached retina when he was younger. Now I'm wondering if this disorder had any implication or direct cause on the injury to prevent further healing. Terrible news for his basketball career and (more importantly) his health, but it sounds like Baylor is being very supportive of the issue and hope to see him finish his degree and ultimately go into coaching.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Terrible to hear news like that. But at least they caught it now. Woudl've been a million times worse if it went undetected and there was another Hank Gathers/Sergei Zholtok type situation.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Melo just opted out.
Sounds like he might be leaning towards Chicago. Lots of positive things could happen with the Bulls. Melo, Rose is reported to be playing again and looking good, rumours of a Afflalo trade, 2 top 20 picks in this draft, Nikola Mirotic possibly coming over.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
were prob gonna have to outbid a few teams like the heat so id say 12-15 mill

The heat and other "contender" teams won't have that much money. Well, the heat especially won't if they keep their big 3 together and still want to woo Lowry.

The Raptors would probably be one of the only teams which could offer around $12m and have realistic chances of success that are as good as they are. The teams that would threaten for money would be in worse shape. And the teams that would threaten for greater opportunity of success would have less cash to hand out.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
At #59 Canadian Jordan Bachynski would be a interesting selection.

7'2, really long, decent touch, great shotblocker, can shoot.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Melo just opted out.
Sounds like he might be leaning towards Chicago. Lots of positive things could happen with the Bulls. Melo, Rose is reported to be playing again and looking good, rumours of a Afflalo trade, 2 top 20 picks in this draft, Nikola Mirotic possibly coming over.

Good, this means the Knicks will suck in 2016. Now we just gotta hope the Nuggets suck as well by then.

I do feel bad for Knick fans though. Being a Leafs fan (the Knicks of the NHL, basically), so I know how it feels to have your team run into the ground by incompetent morons year after year with meddling owners and idiots running the team, as well as having near infinite resources and being in a big market.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We are the best of both worlds.

5 years, 57.5M, Player Option

Exactly. Lowry's going to want to succeed, but this could also be his only chance to really get paid considering he's in his late 20s and to this point has made a relatively low salary by NBA standards. Toronto's the only team that can realistically do both for him.

according to this, there are 12 teams with enough cap space to offer up $12m+ per year (without any consideration for how many other holes they may have at the moment):

Atlanta
Washington
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Orlando
Detroit
Charlotte
LA Lakers
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Utah
Dallas

Utah, Philly, the Lakers, Detroit, Orlando, Cleveland, and Milkwaukee are all awful right now. They can't realistically compete next year the way their teams are set up and are probably out of the running based on that.

So that leaves us with:

Atlanta
Washington
Charlotte
Phoenix
Dallas

Atlanta (Teague/Schroeder), Washington (Wall), and Phoenix (Dragic) already have their own touted PGs and won't want to spend their cap space doubling up there.

Ditto for Dallas who are already spending like $17-18m next season on the quartet of Monta Ellis, Jose Calderon, Shane Larkin and Gal Mekel. They've got bigger fish to fry than adding another PG and loading their backcourt with undersized guys. So now we're left with:

Charlotte

At this moment, the Hornets have about $21m in cap space open and their PG depth is Kemba Walker and Gary Neal. But they also have 9 guys on their current roster, including no legitimate starting C/PF for beside Al Jefferson and current SG/SF depth that is Gerald Henderson at the 2 and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist at the 3.

Lowry would be an upgrade for them and would push Walker to a better role as a 6th man, but then they've only got 9m left to fill out a roster that needs a starting SG or SF, a backup SG or SF, and more general depth so that they're not leaning on a bench of Bismack Biyombo, Gary Neal, Jeff Taylor, Brendan Haywood, and (if he goes to the bench where he belongs at this point) MKG.

It's not a guarantee that the Raptors retain Lowry, but unless Michael Jordan's promise to make a splash in free agency means throwing a truckload of cash at Kyle, I just don't see one of the teams that can pay him fair market value being a good fit.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Good, this means the Knicks will suck in 2016. Now we just gotta hope the Nuggets suck as well by then.

I do feel bad for Knick fans though. Being a Leafs fan (the Knicks of the NHL, basically), so I know how it feels to have your team run into the ground by incompetent morons year after year with meddling owners and idiots running the team, as well as having near infinite resources and being in a big market.

Do we have the Knicks 1st round pick in 2016 or something?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Do we have the Knicks 1st round pick in 2016 or something?

Yes.

The Raptors acquired Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2016 first-round pick and second-rounders in 2014 and 2017 in exchange for Andrea Bargnani.

This is one of the best trades in franchise history.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...lete-bargnani-trade-raptors-article-1.1387207

On the first official day of free agency, the Knicks finalized the trade for the 7-foot Bargnani by including free agent Quentin Richardson in the deal. Because Richardson is part of a sign-and-trade, the deal cannot be announced until after the NBA moratorium ends on July 10.

The Raptors will receive Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Richardson, a 2016 first-round pick and second-round picks in 2014 and 2017. In order to make the deal meet salary cap requirements, Richardson signed a three-year deal with only one year guaranteed, according to a league source. Bargnani’s contract includes a 5% trade kicker that increases his salary for the 2013-14 season to $11.4 million.

The Antoine Davis wasn't bad either.

During the 1999 off-season, Antoine Davis was traded to the Toronto Raptors on draft day for the 5th pick of the 1999 NBA Draft, which the Pacers used to draft Jonathan Bender.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yes.

The Raptors acquired Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Quentin Richardson, a 2016 first-round pick and second-rounders in 2014 and 2017 in exchange for Andrea Bargnani.

This is one of the best trades in franchise history.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...lete-bargnani-trade-raptors-article-1.1387207

The Antoine Davis wasn't bad either.

During the 1999 off-season, Antoine Davis was traded to the Toronto Raptors on draft day for the 5th pick of the 1999 NBA Draft, which the Pacers used to draft Jonathan Bender.

Hopefully 2016 is a strong draft year and we get a top 5 pick then

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That Knicks/Bargs trade is like being on the other end of one of the most hilarious trades I've ever seen as a fan of an involved team. When the grizzlies were still in Vancouver they traded a future 1st to the Pistons for forward Grant Long. Long did ****-all for the Grizzlies and the team then moved to Memphis. Meanwhile the Grizzlies continued sucking pushed back the pick acquisition every year because of protections until the very last year it could be acquired when the pick was unprotected.

That year was 2003 and the Grizzlies ended up with the 2nd overall pick.

Detroit ended up blowing it anyway by using it on Darko Milicic, but the Grizzlies could've had Carmelo or Wade or Bosh out of that (although they were in Memphis at the time and I couldn't give less of a **** about them by that point)

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
There's an asterisk on that first though because due to the Melo deal (which yours truly GMMU completed), the Raptors convey the less favourable of the Nuggets/Knicks first round picks (Nuggets have priority to swap).

Also, Canadian talent Justin Jackson should find his way into the top 10 in 2016 (I believe he's reclassifying for 2015 H.S class).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad