Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
People crying about the names, but not coming up with anything better is always funny to me.
Aside from “Outlaws,” here are some suggestions:

~Stingers (Utah is the beehive state)

~Pioneers

~Wranglers

~Mountain Lions

~Roadrunners

Actually, Roadrunners would have been better for Arizona, but that’s neither here nor there.

Reactions: banks

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
When you have threads that says joke idea names will be removed and then the actual organization lists The Utah Powder as a serious option...

That's some serious galaxy brained shit.
Honestly if you choose "power", then you are just as bad

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Blizzard, Mammoth and Swarm are all alright. I could see myself cheering that team. Other stuff like Mountaineers, Yeti and Powder is just silly shit. Outlaws is an amazing name but for Salt Lake City? Yeah right hoss. That should have been Vegas all day. I can't take the idea of "Utah Outlaws" seriously after watching Trey Parker and Matt Stone dunk on Utah culture for almost 25 years in South Park

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Blizzard, Mammoth and Swarm are all alright. I could see myself cheering that team. Other stuff like Mountaineers, Yeti and Powder is just silly shit. Outlaws is an amazing name but for Salt Lake City? Yeah right hoss. That should have been Vegas all day. I can't take the idea of "Utah Outlaws" seriously after watching Trey Parker and Matt Stone dunk on Utah culture for almost 25 years in South Park
Swarm is the best option.

Yeti makes me think 1995 WCW.

• Love
Reactions: McGarnagle

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I get that Ryan Smyth's whole Qualtrics business is survey software—but having the public decide your team name is a recipe for disaster. Let the brand and marketing professionals handle it. That's how they came up with the Golden Knights and Kraken themes and those are among the best executed brands in North American professional sports. Way better than anything the NHL came up with in the 90s or 2000s (see how often those teams have changed logos, jerseys, colors, etc).
Agreed. Letting the public name stuff isn't a good idea. Case in point: RRS Sir David Attenborough - Wikipedia

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would of preferred Utah Sting as the name. I like Sting better than Swarm. I also like how it's similar to Utah Jazz in that it's a one syllable.

Given that Sting isn't an option, Swarm would be my 2nd choice.

Outlaws is also a cool name but I wonder how well that name goes over in Utah/Salt Lake City. The name does go well with Utah as it sort of rhymes.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017

~Pioneers

~Wranglers

~Mountain Lions

~Roadrunners

Actually, Roadrunners would have been better for Arizona, but that’s neither here nor there.
Decent choices, but I don't think they want Pioneers, because Denver's hockey team already has that name.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
When you have threads that says joke idea names will be removed and then the actual organization lists The Utah Powder as a serious option...

That's some serious galaxy brained shit.
Not everybody thinks of powder as a drug. The name was chosen because of all the ski resorts near SLC.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't like the non plural ones like Venom and Powder and Canyon. Also not a fan of the "cool" ones like Outlaws

I like Mountaineers the best. Seems the most unique and genuine

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I don’t get them going with just Utah in the first season. Seems like now to October would be enough time to roll out jerseys but I guess not.

This buggs me, too. They should be able to pick a name and get them on sweaters in a week. The first season is a big deal, and it's the most important time to get fans to buy-in with the team. Give fans a chance to buy jerseys and other merch. Purchases like that get fans to commit, and then they're with you long term.

The women's league made the same mistake. They got spooked about team names giving bad press. But they lost out on so much by just going nameless for a year. My family would have 3+ PWHL jerseys right now if they just had names and logos to put on them. But I'm not buying a one-off "city name" jersey.

Just name the team.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I got you covered.

Utah Gangsta Rap

In all seriousness, Utah Outlaws is good. The state was home to Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch. And I didn't like Utah Swarm at first (WNBA?) but it will lend itself to a cool team identity and fan identity.

Minnesotas pro lacrosse team (which left about 10 yrs ago now) were the Minnesota Swarm.

~Pioneers

~Wranglers

~Mountain Lions

~Roadrunners

Isnt the Tuscon AHL team named "Roadrunners"?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Dude, what? All those names are trash.

I asked ChatGPT, and I thought that its suggestions such as Blizzard Breakers and Snowhawks, at least, are cooler than any of those options. Ice Wolves was pretty cool, too. And Frostbite.

These official listed name choices are so vanilla.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Are they promoting a hockey team or a Dairy Queen?

Ryan Smith just found his jersey sponsor :sarcasm:

How did good names like Eagles, Grizzlies, and Stags not make this list, but Powder did? Powder.
Powder.
I want a name that says, we're pristine in the morning, and then we get f***ed up by a yuppy! On the hill and on the mirror

My guess is they dont wanna share a name with an established brands.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1. Swarm
2. Outlaws
3. Hive
4. Venom

Everyone complaining about the suggestions but I haven’t seen any better suggestions. I will agree that a lot of these names don’t really sound like an NHL team.

I personally like the Utah Drones (after Male Bees)

They'd get some major sponsorship dollars from Lockheed Martin, that's for sure :naughty:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad