Utah Delta Center Claiming "Unobstructed" Seats

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
The NHL really doesn’t come up with ideal solutions to a lot of things and this is one of them. Arena looks like the one that got the yotes in trouble in the 1990s.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The NHL really doesn’t come up with ideal solutions to a lot of things and this is one of them. Arena looks like the one that got the yotes in trouble in the 1990s.

Moving to a temporary rink is nothing new. Usually it works out.

Ottawa, San Jose, Carolina, Florida, Dallas, and Tampa are other teams I can remember which were in a temporary setup when they first got their team.

I'd even say Phoenix was not the place that got this franchise in trouble. It was known to be a temporary venue, and they were doing well enough there with the knowledge that they would eventually move. The trouble really started when they decided glendale was the next step

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Sorry, just looked at the pictures of the arena yesterday and thought “this was so much better on paper”.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I thought they were getting a new arena.

I don’t think Bettman and company thought this through, when they moved the team.

It's a helluva lot better than playing in a. college barn with 5000 seats. Embarrassing for a major league team.

Utah’s fine though, Ryan Smyth will get a new arena if they get the Olympics.

Damn, I knew he did well financially but to own a team? I figured maintaining his mudflap would've been costly :sarcasm:

NHL-RyanSmyth.jpg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Move them to a real hockey area, like Florida.
where in Florida that isn't already served.....and isn't connected to either Tampa or Sunrise.... Orlando/Estero already exist as solid hockey markets which have challenges competing w/ the Magic in the Solar Bears instance

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This is not a surprise, nor an issue. The league has put teams in cities without appropriate arenas many time while they wait for a new one to be built. Utah will be fine, and playing in a legit arena in a few years.
Ottawa played in the Civic Centre below the grandstand of the football stadium:
1717782519316.png

San jose played in an actual barn:
1717782567704.png

Tampa played in what was a football stadium after after a year in a tiny rink:
1717782726743.png
1717782745517.png

Coyotes played a basketball arena with terrible views:
1717782804823.png

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

“Since this is built for basketball, some of the angles are hard, just with the glass and railing or whatever, but some seats are still amazing," added one fan, "We definitely have our preferences right in the middle.”

“Every seat was good and I’m really short, so that’s hard to do. Even the seats we were looking at, which were in upper bowl, and they were supposed to be obstructed, they were just fine,” shared another fan.

No matter where the fans are seated, the open house was an experience they were grateful to be a part of, with people even being allowed to take some shots on the ice.

“Being able to see everything on the ice, even having the logo out there which was pretty cool to see in person, but they were saying no photos so gotta keep that in my memory,” explained Alma Bean.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
this is starting to look at both a con job and scam. The con job is the arena the scam is all the demands he has now made to the state and city. Google is your friend in this case. Ask yourself if this was your home or state--would you give it to him?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Might as well name them the (Cleveland) Barons. This feels like the seals moving there as a last gasp.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
This is not a surprise, nor an issue. The league has put teams in cities without appropriate arenas many time while they wait for a new one to be built. Utah will be fine, and playing in a legit arena in a few years.
Ottawa played in the Civic Centre below the grandstand of the football stadium:
View attachment 880310
San jose played in an actual barn:
View attachment 880311
Tampa played in what was a football stadium after after a year in a tiny rink:
View attachment 880312View attachment 880313
Coyotes played a basketball arena with terrible views:
View attachment 880314
Thank you for the photos. Interesting!

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
this is starting to look at both a con job and scam. The con job is the arena the scam is all the demands he has now made to the state and city. Google is your friend in this case. Ask yourself if this was your home or state--would you give it to him?

Not disagreeing with you, but seems like a high percentage of sports stadiums are con jobs

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Gotcha, that’s great then. I know a lot of fans are following them from Arizona.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Might as well name them the (Cleveland) Barons. This feels like the seals moving there as a last gasp.
that's equivalent to placing an NHL Franchise in Baltimore going head to head directly against Monumental..... it didn't work out well when private ownership and another affiliate went in there knowing you're competing directly w/ the Capitals/Wizards.... it's also why Baltimore is schorched territory unless it's Monumental owning/operating it.... see Frederick.... even the proposed Hurricanes affiliate sidebar before they retained Rosemont

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

This isn’t all on Smith.

Smith originally wanted an expansion franchise and first met with Bettman nearly two years ago to begin discussions.

It only got messy when the voters in Tempe shot down the Coyotes proposal for TED and the timeline for a new arena in Arizona became murky at best.

As it turns out it may have been the best move the NHL could have done given all the factors involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad