Proposal: Utah - Buffalo Part Duex

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Try harder, too obvious
Just an opinion. Sabres have been bad during the Dahlin era. Power is a lot younger and not part of the history of losing. Imo the Sabres need to make a bold move and build around Power; don’t trade him.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I hear they're looking for one out on west coast.

What exactly do you mean by crystal ball? That is what 95% of this website is.. idk what you're getting at.

You’ve already decided that Power sucks and will always suck. So you have to have a crystal ball and know the future, so you want him gone before he loses any and all trade value.

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
To Utah:

Owen Power
2024 3rd Round pick.

To Buffalo:

Lawson Crouse
2024 6th OA pick

No, and it’s not a bad offer, it’s just that, to me, Owen Power has the most upside in the trade and is signed and Buffalo loses this one if they accept, unless the 6th OA pick is in a draft that’s exceptionally strong, which this year it is not.

Also, Bowen Byram only has two years of team control, no gaurentee they can, or will sign him to an extension, and if we have the money, no promise he wants to.

Honestly, I’m more interested in what it would take to get Jack McBain instead of Lawson Crouse because McBain potentially fills a big need for the Sabres

Reactions: Beerz

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You’ve already decided that Power sucks and will always suck. So you have to have a crystal ball and know the future, so you want him gone before he loses any and all trade value.

He doesn't suck. Only time I may say that is in GDT's during game when he makes mistakes and I do that for a lot of players. But that doesn't mean I don't feel he has issues that both in play and contract would make me want to move on from him...as well as needs for the team.

We all make assumptions and projections on players from draft picks to 34 year olds...on coaches and GMs to trades.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Just an opinion. Sabres have been bad during the Dahlin era. Power is a lot younger and not part of the history of losing. Imo the Sabres need to make a bold move and build around Power; don’t trade him.
lol? The Dahlin era would be after Eichel is gone. You wanted him to carry the team the first 2 years when we were trying to lose but players like Dahlin and Thompson made us shoot over expectations?

Dahlin is the main reason we are in a position to make a move to push us over. He is our best player and it’s not close

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Im normally not with @Beerz on the whole trading power thing but if I can get Crouse and Iginla at #6 then use powers csp space to resign Byram and potentially trade #11 for another roster piece i can see the bigger picture for sure and id have to think about it...

Reactions: goach and Beerz

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I think the Sabres even though we acquired Byram should be a top 4 rhd to pair with power someone who is good defensively and is able to clear the net and help with transition now I don't know who that is yet but there will be forwards available during FA and I think the Sabres should bolster this d core this oncoming season with assets available

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Im normally not with @Beerz on the whole trading power thing but if I can get Crouse and Iginla at #6 then use powers csp space to resign Byram and potentially trade #11 for another roster piece i can see the bigger picture for sure and id have to think about it...

Thank you! It gives the Sabres so many options. And moves the team forward at a quicker pace.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Updating. Sorry, I thought it said 6th round. It makes more sense, but Sabres don't really need more youth. Can't see it still.

You're replacing Power with a more seasoned Vet (hopefully rhd by using either #6 or #11 depending on player). You're adding Crouse. Then you still have either #6 or #11 to either make a selection or add another vet player. I mean I can't see it either but I would love it and I think it moves us forward quicker.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You're replacing Power with a more seasoned Vet (hopefully rhd by using either #6 or #11 depending on player). You're adding Crouse. Then you still have either #6 or #11 to either make a selection or add another vet player. I mean I can't see it either but I would love it and I think it moves us forward quicker.

Crouse would be a nice add, but not for a #1 d man like Owen Power. Power is playing 23 minutes a night against top opponents at age 21. I need an elite forward back to make that move, not a chance at a good player at #6. Utah gets the best player in deal by a country mile

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So what veteran RHD are you bringing in for #6 who is nearly as good as Power?
And how are you justifying the hit you will surely be taking in terms of Power's room for growth and contract certainty throughout his prime years?

What competent GM is trading a 6'6" defenceman who skates and sees the ice like Power? One who has already proven he can play well over 20 minutes a game and put up 30 points a season without significant PP time? Before his 22nd birthday?

Write down a list of the 20 best NHL defencemen and go see where they were at 21. You won't find many who were ahead of where Power is right now.

Playing defence in the NHL is hard. Power is 21. And he's already a lot better at it than you seem to realize.

Trading him before giving him a chance to realize his potential would be about the stupidest thing I could imagine the Sabres doing.

And I can imagine the Sabres doing some very stupid things.
Bang on. His first two seasons were actually exceptional for his age. Not saying he's Cal Makar or close but Makar was drafted in 2017 and didn't play full season until 2019-20. People have this idea that Power should be Pronger because he's 6'6". Doesn't play that way. I was very encouraged to hear Ruff's comments about some guys playing a more Lidstrom game. Not saying he is Lidstrom either so take it easy. But we are crazy to trade hin for anything less than an elite forward,

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Crouse would be a nice add, but not for a #1 d man like Owen Power. Power is playing 23 minutes a night against top opponents at age 21. I need an elite forward back to make that move, not a chance at a good player at #6. Utah gets the best player in deal by a country mile

I'm looking at Crouse plus the Dman added ( say Rasmus Andersson as an example) as a net positive over Power for the near future and you're getting those 2 at same cap hit as 1 Power for the next 2 years. With still the #6 pick to play with.

Reactions: goach

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm looking at Crouse plus the Dman added ( say Rasmus Andersson as an example) as a net positive over Power for the near future and you're getting those 2 at same cap hit as 1 Power for the next 2 years. With still the #6 pick to play with.
99 better ways to improve the team than trading their 3rd best current player and 2nd best asset.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I'd rather have Power than Andersson, even today. The Sabres don't even spend to the cap. Andersson will cost more than just flipping the 6th too. I would flip the 11th for Crouse and just keep Power.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I don't think he is 3rd best current player but I do agree 2nd best asset.

I don't have a hate boner for Power. I have a hate boner for his contract tho.

I do have a lot of hope for him offensively.. but not a lot defensively.
Ehhhhhhhh

You might hate him more than I love Krebs, and that's some strong hate.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Power is going to make 8.35 million. From the Sabres perspective, that will be an overpay...hopefully not more than a few seasons. The idea with the contract is that he is a lock to be a top-15 or top-20 defenseman in the league. But I'm not sure if that's the case. I certainly hope it's a case.

I dont think this is the offseason to make this sort of trade for the Sabres.

I don't think the value is awful because of Powers contract. Don't know why the Sabres are adding a 3rd lol with all the 2nds and 3rds Arizona already has.

Power for 6th overall/Crouse/2025 2nd

I think that's in the ballpark. Because I'm factoring in 8.35 million a year. The Sabres would have to follow up with adding a top 4 d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad