Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was worried Utah was going to try to contend right away, which I don't think is a good strategy when you consider the juggernauts in the Western Conference at the moment

Salt Lake City is a basketball town... they understand tanking in order to build through the draft

I think they should've sold off players like Keller, Crouse, Ingram, and Schmaltz, and dove head-first into the next few lotteries

Anyways, I like this trade for Tampa
What? They just did that. It was time for them to start trying again.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Why are you just pretending Tampa didn't also acquire a 2nd rounder, a decent defenseman and a solid forward prospect as well?
The prospects they received, along with the 2nd rounder, are all crapshoots. Geekie is not a top of the line prospect, and odds of a second round pick making an impact in the NHL are not great. What I am saying is that if they are getting rid of Sergachev in order to keep Stamkos, bad move.

Reactions: King 88

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
So you didn't watch Sergachev after his injuries? You didn't watch the 35 year old forward last year either? Go take a nap, gramps. It's past your bedtime.
Sergachev came back waaaayyy too early from his injury in order to try help out in the playoffs. After an off season of recovery, he will be back into form, remember before the injury where he had 20 more points than Hedman in the 22-23 season? Time for your grade three hockey lesson little boy.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I've wanted Sergachev moved for the last year. Fantastic return. Couldn't be happier.

Now they finally have enough money to offer Stamkos the bucks he deserves. Assuming they haven't pissed him off with that lowball offer that is rumoured.
I like your thinking - moving young players in order to keep older players in their decline

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
So you're happy losing a 26 year old stud on D for a 35 year old forward? Yikes
The organization is all in for the next two season with the core they have.
After that, who knows as most Tampa Bay fans do not seem to care as long as they get at least one more Cup with this core.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I like how everyone ignored McD going back and we didn't realize this was the move coming, McD was never gonna play bottom pair in TB lol

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
So you didn't watch Sergachev after his injuries? You didn't watch the 35 year old forward last year either? Go take a nap, gramps. It's past your bedtime.
The 35-year-old forward did not wake up until after the All-Star break when the organization told him they would discuss contract at the end of the season, and he realized he would be playing for what may very well be his final contract as a pro as a free agent.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
The organization is all in for the next two season with the core they have.
After that, who knows as most Tampa Bay fans do not seem to care as long as they get at least one more Cup with this core.
Agree with you, but they just haven't looked very good at all in the last two playoffs with that core. I think they need to blow it up and not repeat what the Penguins have been doing for so long.

Reactions: Crunchrulz

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Agree with you, but they just haven't looked very good at all in the last two playoffs with that core. I think they need to blow it up and not repeat what the Penguins have been doing for so long.
You and I seem to be among the few that understand that.
That being typed, the organization and most of the fan base are convinced there is at least one legit Cup run left in the current core, so they are doing what they can to overcome the failures of the past two seasons.
Nothing is going to change that way of thinking, so it is time to put on the life jackets and hang on for what is going to once again be a heck of a ride.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I mean that’s clearly marketing spin. They inherited the contracts, prospects, and pick rights. They made some of the trades they made using draft picks the Coyotes franchise acquired.
I'm joking. My thought was they forgot to tell the players.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Wow I'm shocked Utah gave up that package and taking on the whole salary

It's a deadly acquisition by Utah yes, but I woulda assumed they coulda gotten him cheaper
They have so much cap space … and to get him at 26 so he can grow with the core is great..

However I think since there was no retention they could have lowered the price..

Knowing they were getting rid of Geekie explains why the never drafted a D in the first round…

I think now they will overpay in FA, to get guys on short term deals to round out the team until the next batch of prospects are ready to come in… But …Simashiv .. etc

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This had to happen as soon as we brought back McDonagh. Sergachev can't earn his contract offensively with Hedman in front of him, and McDonagh was brought in to take over the defensive responsibilities on the left side. That left Sergachev to make 8.5m with the same responsibilities as a 3LD. It couldn't hold.

Win-win trade.

Tb now has the cap space to retool back into a contender.

olli

Most unbiased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Th
Agree with you, but they just haven't looked very good at all in the last two playoffs with that core. I think they need to blow it up and not repeat what the Penguins have been doing for so
the core isn’t the issue, it’s the depth beyond the core

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’ve never been big on Sergachev tbh however its a good move for Utah because they need to build out their D and 8.5 going forward won’t be really much for someone with his offensive ability.

This all said, I’m tired of Tampa getting bailed out of their cap troubles. Like for real someone actually paid them for the privilege of taking Jeannot off their hands? He sucks.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow, I like it for both teams. Utah wants to stop being pretenders and added a young guy in his prime who had a bad injury season.

Really like the return for Tampa. They could be the winners long term. Moser is pretty underrated and can play big minutes to allow Tampa to continue competing plus they got a good prospect, futures AND cap space? Big win.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Did Utah see how Sergachevs leg bent? The way in which it snapped? I'd want to see him on the ice a bit more before giving up significant assets for him.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Did Utah see how Sergachevs leg bent? The way in which it snapped? I'd want to see him on the ice a bit more before giving up significant assets for him.
They saw first hand how bad Keller’s blew up. He came back and had the best season of his career right after. He hasn’t missed a beat. Players can come back from these injuries now days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad