Confirmed Signing with Link: [UTA] F Dylan Guenther signs extension with the Utah Hockey Club (8 years, $7.14M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don’t even understand why people make these posts…even if you aren’t a big NHL fan and haven’t heard of him, you can take 30 seconds to look it up.

People make comments like these because they are trying to be willfully ignorant to emphasize their “shock” at something.
I mean even if he looked him up, that might make it’s even more confusing why he got so much…

I have no idea how to tabulate it, but is this the highest contract a forward who has 50 or less NHL points has ever received?

I completely understand why they did it because he has potential… but sheesh that’s a ton of money for 50 career points

Reactions: Fatass

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I’d say it’s less of a gamble that he will be worth his contract in his prime than when GMs overpay for UFAs that will be on the decline mid way through their deals.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Philosophically.... this is the right thing to do.

You know the cap is jumping big within the next 2-3 years. You're not a spectacularly good team today, you have tons of cap space and are likely to have plenty over the next 2-3 years, who cares if you're overpaying Guenther by $4m in the first year or two of that deal.

That being said -- this is a pretty big bag to give a guy that's played a total of 1 NHL season thus far in his career. At $7m, he must be at least a high quality 2nd line winger to not have this be a bad deal in 3-4 years.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I mean even if he looked him up, that might make it’s even more confusing why he got so much…

I have no idea how to tabulate it, but is this the highest contract a forward who has 50 or less NHL points has ever received?

I completely understand why they did it because he has potential… but sheesh that’s a ton of money for 50 career points
It isn't about potential, it's about expectations! I find it amusing all these posts suggesting that it might bite Utah on the ass. It's as though they don't know GMBA. An 8 year contract? To me that is unheard of. It's not about the money, it's about Armstrong giving out that term. And this early. He has a reputation to wait until after the season is over before handing out smaller term contracts. He has confidence in Dylan to get it done early and I'm sure Dylan likes that it's front loaded. The expectation is that he will earn it this upcoming season, his last year on an ELC. The team will be one of the surprises this season! This is finally the kind of team Bill Armstrong wanted.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
It isn't about potential, it's about expectations! I find it amusing all these posts suggesting that it might bite Utah on the ass. It's as though they don't know GMBA. An 8 year contract? To me that is unheard of. It's not about the money, it's about Armstrong giving out that term. And this early. He has a reputation to wait until after the season is over before handing out contracts. He has confidence in Dylan to get it done early and I'm sure Dylan likes that it's front loaded. The expectation is that he will earn it this upcoming season, his last year on an ELC. The team will be one of the surprises this season! This is finally the kind of team Bill Armstrong wanted.
I am a big BA fan, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. This team hasn't done anything yet! This is still a risky contract at this stage. I would have preferred to at least seen a full year of Guenther before committing this amount of cash/term.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I am a big BA fan, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. This team hasn't done anything yet! This is still a risky contract at this stage. I would have preferred to at least seen a full year of Guenther before committing this amount of cash/term.
And then there is the risk where he deserves more money. That is the real risk in my opinion.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
Like the player, and this should work out decently for Utah going forward.
But is the least proven/experienced player to ever sign a 50+ million dollar contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad