USMNT - 2026 World Cup Cycle

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
U-20 team took care of Cuba in their second game 4-0. They were originally playing their last group game on Thursday night, but a police man was murdered outside the hotel alot of the teams playing in that city were staying in, so they moved those games out of that Celaya to Leon and postponed the last game to tonight.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Lol at the ref putting 5 minutes of stoppage time on the clock, and then Mexico ties it up in the 7th or so minute of stoppage time

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
With no major stoppages at all. Game should have ended on the GK. Makes 0 sense
There might have been one extra minute necessary because of the stretcher coming out and the guy waving it off and just getting up and walking away but yeah the ref gave a lot of leeway for stoppage time

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Seems very 'clickbaity' with some sources saying they practically hired him. What it looks like there is contact and some interest. In terms of the bigger names he seems the most realistic though, somehow I still vision this going to one of the French guys (Vieria, Henry) or an MLS guy

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
if we couldn't get klopp this was the best alternative. international team soccer is usually less intensive than being a club coach where you play more games and have a different objective overall.

I know he didnt do well at Chelsea but is this a good hire?
On paper yes. He is the most experienced candidate the US has had in a while. This is akin to the Klinsmann signing. Time will tell how he does but considering his path to the WC is already set I would be curious.

It doesn't take long to make an impact on the international stage. Emma Hayes has already had 10 games under her belt and is already elite outcoaching everyone in the women's game.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
We'll see how it goes, he checks a lot of boxes that we were looking for. I haven't been too impressed with his teams since he left Spurs, but I think getting a manager with real big game experience and dealing with all kinds of different egos will be good for this team.

The thing that annoys me about the search, is that it really seems like they actually did their due diligence, which I don't think they did last time and that it was already predetermined that Berhalter was going to be the manager no matter what. They could've gone after a big name manager if they wanted to.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
We'll see how it goes, he checks a lot of boxes that we were looking for. I haven't been too impressed with his teams since he left Spurs, but I think getting a manager with real big game experience and dealing with all kinds of different egos will be good for this team.

The thing that annoys me about the search, is that it really seems like they actually did their due diligence, which I don't think they did last time and that it was already predetermined that Berhalter was going to be the manager no matter what. They could've gone after a big name manager if they wanted to.
On the latter I don't think they were ever going to go with anyone but back to Berhalter after the Reynas fiasco. The perception that a couple of whining soccer parents could force a manager out killed the chance to cut ties with GGG after the World Cup was over, which would have been a very natural move otherwise.

This will be interesting, a 4-2-3-1 fits our personnel, especially on the attacking end and we have fullbacks that attack well. I worry about us defensively with our weak cb options and not having a dedicated screening DM--we've looked shaky on the back end when with a double pivot instead of the 3 man. Also do we have the legs to play that level of press and are we technically adept enough to execute his system offensively? I have some doubts on both.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
On the latter I don't think they were ever going to go with anyone but back to Berhalter after the Reynas fiasco. The perception that a couple of whining soccer parents could force a manager out killed the chance to cut ties with GGG after the World Cup was over, which would have been a very natural move otherwise.

This will be interesting, a 4-2-3-1 fits our personnel, especially on the attacking end and we have fullbacks that attack well. I worry about us defensively with our weak cb options and not having a dedicated screening DM--we've looked shaky on the back end when with a double pivot instead of the 3 man. Also do we have the legs to play that level of press and are we technically adept enough to execute his system offensively? I have some doubts on both.
I still think Tyler Adams being healthy and utilized correctly is the absolutely pivotal point for this squad. When he's playing the 6 as he can when 100% this team sees a lot less danger. When GGG thinks Reyna is the guy to run out there as a 6, it just doesn't end well. I agree on the formation making a lot of sense. It helps bury the fact we do not have an elite 9 and lets our best players create everything around whoever gets that spot.

I don't think the coach matters as much, just as long as he isn't a doofus like GGG. As much as Klinsmann couldn't game coach worth a damn, his bigger picture views and his calling out the USSF for being worthless were well placed. Sadly 2026 won't be the a peak moment for this program, would have been better if we were 2030 or 2034 hosts. Same can be said for Mexico too.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
US plays in a game in 8 days and they still haven't announced the roster. Along with rumors it could be any day now on Pochettino (and rumors he would be involved in some way in the September friendlies).

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Robinson given a rest. McKennie left because he didn’t have a preseason

Fossey a surprise. But heathly right backs after Scally are sparse.

Kochen a big surprise. Probably only chance to get him called into a camp. Barcelona has rejected all of his call ups to youth teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00