WC: USA at the 2010 World Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cermi

Mar 6, 2008
as for Kreider, well I am just floored about his selection. what an honor for the young man, and if he can somehow produce at an above level pace, dare we say he might turn pro next year? Kid already has NHL size, speed, and shot....it really isn't that far fetched...

go get em boys..
kreider will stay in college, no doubt about that. He's not ready yet. Maybe the most raw prospect from the 1st round last year. He has a tremendous potential and I can'T believe that he fell so low that Rangers were able to pick him.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Any idea why Cory Schneider wasn't asked? His record in the AHL over the last few years has been great and he put up better numbers than Ben Bishop did this season. He also has experience in the playoffs, leading his club to the AHL finals last year.

canucks called him up

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
....and we still need more Corvo.....and yes Martin would be a Godsend on this team, but I guess being a UFA is much more important then representing your country....

For the record, Paul Martin has said he would accept an invitation if he was asked, but he wasn't asked.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
kreider will stay in college, no doubt about that. He's not ready yet. Maybe the most raw prospect from the 1st round last year. He has a tremendous potential and I can'T believe that he fell so low that Rangers were able to pick him.

people said the same thing about Paul Stastny a few years back....didn't turn out so bad for him....

in all honesty I doubt he turns pro, but like I said, if he has a hell of a tournament, I can easily see the Rangers pushing very hard for him to sign next year.

as for him being the most raw prospect from last year's 1st round, I will agree on draft day he was, but I am not sure what you have been watching this year to even say this for right now....being a TRUE freshman on a powerhouse team usually results in a lack of icetime, which in turn means little on the stat sheet. since the WJC, there isnt an ounce of raw with this kid, he has arrived, and has the chance to be something very special.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I havent seen this anywhere....link? source?

if he said he wanted to play, there is no doubt Burke would have chosen him to play.

Yep. Burke picked Martin, who was injured at the time and had missed the majority of the season so far, for the Olympic team. I think that shows how much the managerial staff - the same group is now leading this team - thinks about Martin. No way they didn't ask him to join this team.

In reality, he probably thought about it more after saying he'd play if invited in the heat of the moment while cleaning out his locker and finishing up interviews for the season. He just came off an injury riddled season and he's now one of the premier UFA defenseman. He had too much to lose by playing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Maybe I have the homer glasses on, but while this team is a bit short on forward talent (i.e. proven goal scorers), I'm not not sure that overall, it's going to be all that outclassed by the opposition. Canada has a good, not great team and Russia looks loaded, but we'll see how they come together this go around. The rest of the countries are having like issues attracting top-shelf talent in an Olympic year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Maybe I have the homer glasses on, but while this team is a bit short on forward talent (i.e. proven goal scorers), I'm not not sure that overall, it's going to be all that outclassed by the opposition. Canada has a good, not great team and Russia looks loaded, but we'll see how they come together this go around. The rest of the countries are having like issues attracting top-shelf talent in an Olympic year.

completely off topic: but between you and Bonney, I am not sure whose avatar is more hideous to look at....

Seriously, it looks like you guys have terrorists for avatars....:help:

but back on topic.....

I agree with Ranger, I think what we are bringing to the table isnt that far off the rest of the crowd...Russia looks great, but they looked the same in the Olympics and we saw what happened there....

IMO, I think whoever we can bring in with these final two spots can honestly make or break us. If we can land two of these players : van Riemsdyk, Wheeler, Kessel, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Gomez, or even Kesler, then we can make a case for two scoring lines, and two checking lines. If we can't add from this list, and have to get bottom 6 guys, then it is going to be very hard to win a medal.

I like the year Potulny had, and I think this kid is a player that just needed to get that full chance. I think he finished like second or third in goals for Edmonton (not saying much I know), but he could be a guy that steps up and turns into a player for us. Looks to be underrated on these boards...kid plays hard every shift and has some decent hands and finish.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
completely off topic: but between you and Bonney, I am not sure whose avatar is more hideous to look at....

IMO, I think whoever we can bring in with these final two spots can honestly make or break us. If we can land two of these players : van Riemsdyk, Wheeler, Kessel, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Gomez, or even Kesler, then we can make a case for two scoring lines, and two checking lines. If we can't add from this list, and have to get bottom 6 guys, then it is going to be very hard to win a medal.QUOTE]

As a Flyers fan and a family friend of the van Riemsdyk's, i hate to admit that post olympic break JVR has fallen off in production. The last time i saw JVR i asked him if he would play and he said he would definatly go for his country. I just think this team needs Kessel and Pavelski

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

IMO, I think whoever we can bring in with these final two spots can honestly make or break us. If we can land two of these players : van Riemsdyk, Wheeler, Kessel, Pavelski, Byfuglien, Gomez, or even Kesler, then we can make a case for two scoring lines, and two checking lines. If we can't add from this list, and have to get bottom 6 guys, then it is going to be very hard to win a medal.QUOTE]

As a Flyers fan and a family friend of the van Riemsdyk's, i hate to admit that post olympic break JVR has fallen off in production. The last time i saw JVR i asked him if he would play and he said he would definatly go for his country. I just think this team needs Kessel and Pavelski

I agree with those two players 100%....but I would still take JVR over some of the guys I am sure we might get stuck with....Mike Rupp could be one of them...

I pray for Pavs and Kessel, but Wheeler would look pretty solid as well...

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Pavelski is single handedly carrying the sharks... he already has a goal and a assisst tonight in the first period.. US Hockey must be thrilled... the potential is high for Joe

Cermi

Mar 6, 2008
people said the same thing about Paul Stastny a few years back....didn't turn out so bad for him....

in all honesty I doubt he turns pro, but like I said, if he has a hell of a tournament, I can easily see the Rangers pushing very hard for him to sign next year.

as for him being the most raw prospect from last year's 1st round, I will agree on draft day he was, but I am not sure what you have been watching this year to even say this for right now....being a TRUE freshman on a powerhouse team usually results in a lack of icetime, which in turn means little on the stat sheet. since the WJC, there isnt an ounce of raw with this kid, he has arrived, and has the chance to be something very special.

Yeah I meant on the draft day. After WJC and the second half of the season, he looks much better than he did then. Nevertheless, he didnt look ready in WJC, he should be much better next year.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting list

First thing that popped out at me was the lack of depth among US goaltenders - although that may be exaggerated a bit with Howard, Boucher and Thomas still alive in the playoffs - as well as back-up Brent Johnson with the Pens.

Still, was surprised that only Miller and Howard are in the Top 20 among regulars in terms of GA.

A bit surprised that Leggio was named - figured if they were going to add a goalie that played in Europe, and Esche wasn't available, would have been one of the ones playing in Germany, possibly Adam Hauser, or Alex Westlund, who played with Team USA in the past and had a very good season in Austria. However, Leggio did win a championship in Finland as part of a goaltending tandem with Atte Engren.

As far as skaters go, I didn't realize that there were only seven Americans among the top 50 scorers in the NHL and only 15 in the Top 100. Of those 15, saw no mention of Pominville or Knuble and was wondering if either was invited or are being considered for the tournament?

I'm also a bit surprised that this team doesn't feature at least one or two players that played in Europe this season - over the rather non-descript group of 4th line/AHL fringe forwards and defensemen at the bottom of the roster.

I'd be curious as to how much of a role USA Hockey had in this team or is it more of a bone to throw to the NHL?

****There are still 2 Roster Spots Available****

Accepted Invitations:
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Eric Nystrom (CAL)
F - David Moss (CAL)
F - Ryan Potulny (EDM)
F - Christian Hanson (TOR)
F - Brandon Dubinsky (NYR)
F - Ryan Carter (ANA)
F - T.J. Oshie (STL)
F - Nick Foligno (OTT)
F - T.J. Galiardi (COL)
F - Tim Kennedy (BUF)
F - Chris Kreider (NYR/NCAA)

D - Jack Johnson (LAK)
D - Andy Greene (NJD)
D - Keith Yandle (PHX)
D - Matt Greene (LAK)
D - Jack Hillen (NYI)
D - Mike Lundin (TBL)
D - Taylor Chorney (EDM)
D - Matt Gilroy (NYR)

G - Scott Clemmensen (FLA)
G - Ben Bishop (AHL)
G - David Leggio (Finland)

Declined Invitations:
F - David Backes (STL) --- Fatigue
F - Ryan Malone (TBL) --- Wife giving birth
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA) --- Contract
F - Ryan Callahan (NYR) --- Knee injury
F - Patrick O'Sullivan (EDM) --- Wedding
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) --- College Degree
F - Dustin Brown (LAK) --- Injury
F - Zach Parise (NJD) --- Fatigue

D - Keith Ballard (FLA) --- Wife giving birth
D - Zach Bogosian (ATL) --- Injury
D - Erik Johnson (STL) --- Contract
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM) --- Foot surgery
D - Tom Gilbert (EDM) --- Mental Exhaustion
D - Paul Martin (NJD) --- Contract
D - Ryan Suter (NAS) --- Injury

G - Ty Conklin (STL) --- No reason
G - Ryan Miller (BUF) --- Fatigue
G - Craig Anderson (COL) --- Fatigue
G - Jon Quick (LAK) --- Fatigue/New baby
G - Robert Esche (KHL) --- Free Agent

Mulling Invitations:
F - Phil Kessel (TOR) --- Abdominal tear
F - Chris Drury (NYR) --- No reason

Staff:
Head Coach: Scott Gordon (NYI)
Assistant Coaches: Todd Richards (MIN), Joe Sacco (COL),Ron Rolston (NTDP)
General Managers: Brian Burke (TOR); David Poile (NAS)

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
First thing that popped out at me was the lack of depth among US goaltenders - although that may be exaggerated a bit with Howard, Boucher and Thomas still alive in the playoffs - as well as back-up Brent Johnson with the Pens.

Still, was surprised that only Miller and Howard are in the Top 20 among regulars in terms of GA.

A bit surprised that Leggio was named - figured if they were going to add a goalie that played in Europe, and Esche wasn't available, would have been one of the ones playing in Germany, possibly Adam Hauser, or Alex Westlund, who played with Team USA in the past and had a very good season in Austria. However, Leggio did win a championship in Finland as part of a goaltending tandem with Atte Engren.

As far as skaters go, I didn't realize that there were only seven Americans among the top 50 scorers in the NHL and only 15 in the Top 100. Of those 15, saw no mention of Pominville or Knuble and was wondering if either was invited or are being considered for the tournament?

I'm also a bit surprised that this team doesn't feature at least one or two players that played in Europe this season - over the rather non-descript group of 4th line/AHL fringe forwards and defensemen at the bottom of the roster.

I'd be curious as to how much of a role USA Hockey had in this team or is it more of a bone to throw to the NHL?

I dunno for sure if Pominville even got the invite, but he was asked about it at locker clean out and said even if he got the invite he would turn it down. His wife gave birth during the season and he said he wanted time to "be a dad"

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wow. When was the last time the US fielded a team like this in the champs? Latest years they've really tried to field a good team with a shot to win.

2006 team in Latvia had Mike Komisarek (was he really selected for the Vancouver Olympic team :shakehead?), Freddy Meyer, and Andrew Alberts on defense and had forwards like Stastny (Yan, not Paul), Jim Slater, and Marty Reasoner among others.

Ironically, Craig Anderson opened some eyes in net for the USA with his play but the backups were Jason Bacashihua and David McKee.

Not exactly loaded.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I don't think Pominville is a favorite among USA Hockey circles, particularly with Brian Burke. He's a soft player and declined an invite to last year's WC team (heading into the Olympic year). He could have been invited and declined but there's been no word either way that I've seen (Note: Just saw a Buffalo fan say he'd decline if asked). Knuble is old and probably beat up from his style of play. He's usually been pretty good about playing when called upon but I don't think he really fits into the plan of USA Hockey going forward. They want to give some younger guys some experience to benefit the program going forward. With Knuble about to turn 38, his time of representing the National Team going forward is over so they may not have even invited him but if they did, I would expect that he declined.

Which European based players would you have looked to potentially add, other than a different backup goalie? More so, which of those guys would be more than a fringe NHL player if they weren't playing in weaker leagues?

On the last part, USA Hockey has a management staff that is assembling the team. The same group that put together the Olympic team is putting together the World Championship team, led by Brian Burke and David Poile.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA has their only exhibition game tomorrow against France at 2 PM EST. Here's the rest of the schedule:

Date Opponent Time (EDT) / Result
May 4 France (exhib.) 2 p.m.
May 7 Germany 2:15 p.m.
May 10 Denmark 10:15 a.m.
May 12 Finland 2:15 p.m.
May 14-18 Qualification Round TBD
May 20 Quarterfinals TBD
May 22 Semifinals TBD
May 23 Bronze-Medal Game 10:15 a.m.
Gold-Medal Game 2:30 p.m.

The final two players can be added to the roster after the game against Finland.

Also, here's the information on Universal Sports broadcasting the games:

Live coverage of the event will take place on Universal Sports and at UniversalSports.com beginning with Team USA's tournament-opening match-up against Germany on May 7 at 2 p.m. (EDT). That game, to be played at Gelsenkirchen's soccer stadium, Veltins-Arena, is expected to draw a sellout and world-record crowd of some 76,000 fans.

....All of the televised games will also be available online on a pay-per-view basis at UniversalSports.com. Prices will range from $0.99 for individual non-medal-round games to $1.99 for the bronze-medal and gold-medal games and $14.99 for the all-access pass.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_01_03&id=286514

Isles4ever11

Apr 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
www.twitter.com
Team USA has their only exhibition game tomorrow against France at 2 PM EST. Here's the rest of the schedule:

Date Opponent Time (EDT) / Result
May 4 France (exhib.) 2 p.m.
May 7 Germany 2:15 p.m.
May 10 Denmark 10:15 a.m.
May 12 Finland 2:15 p.m.
May 14-18 Qualification Round TBD
May 20 Quarterfinals TBD
May 22 Semifinals TBD
May 23 Bronze-Medal Game 10:15 a.m.
Gold-Medal Game 2:30 p.m.

The final two players can be added to the roster after the game against Finland.

Also, here's the information on Universal Sports broadcasting the games:

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahockey.aspx?NAV=TU_01_03&id=286514

Awesome, great. Thanks very much. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kind of off-topic, but the number of Americans in the top 50/100 in NHL scoring is roughly representative of the number of total Americans in the league.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Here are some Jack Johnson avatars if anyone is interested in using these again:

jjohnson5f.png
jjohnson6f.png
jjohnson7f.png
jjohnson8f.png

These are courtesy of Ailurophile, from the avatars he created for Team USA during the Olympics. Obviously Jack is the only returnee from that team but if you're interested in anyone else you can find them here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=729450&highlight=usa+avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad