Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sasha just doesn't have it mentally, the final v Thiem broke him so f***ing bad
I might be counting my chickens before my eggs hatch, but it seems like this could be the year that an American man breaks the streak. Fritz has taken out two top 10 players in four sets looking like comfortably a better player in both matches. And if Tiafoe can somehow dispatch Dimitrov that’s a guarantee of a first American man in a slam final since Roddick at 2009 Wimbledon (over 15 years). If Sinner is there, chances aren’t high, but otherwise I feel either of them would have at least a solid chance against anyone else.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I might be counting my chickens before my eggs hatch, but it seems like this could be the year that an American man breaks the streak. Fritz has taken out two top 10 players in four sets looking like comfortably a better player in both matches. And if Tiafoe can somehow dispatch Dimitrov that’s a guarantee of a first American man in a slam final since Roddick at 2009 Wimbledon (over 15 years). If Sinner is there, chances aren’t high, but otherwise I feel either of them would have at least a solid chance against anyone else.

The Sinner/Meddy winner will be the favorite but if that is a brutal 5 setter, I can see it, Fritz/Foe will have the crowd. Dimi looked a bit shot in his last match v Rublev. If Rublev didn't blow set 2, he wins that 3-1 so Dimi needs to show up quick tonight. Pretty sure he has a good H2H v Foe, but Foe just has that random destiny feel with him this tournament.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What an opportunity for Tiafoe to insure that one US player will get to the final, the first since Roddick (maybe)?

I only saw patches of the match but I think Taylor really went for his shots when he needed to the most and Zverev was usually content to just hit the ball back and hope for a mistake. Love to see Fritz go this far, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After a brutal first set, Sabalenka continues to lay a beating on Zheng. Can't see what Zheng can do to change the situation very much.

Reactions: 17futurecap

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I don’t know how Iga beats Sabalenka in the final, especially if it rains Saturday and the roof is closed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don’t know how Iga beats Sabalenka in the final, especially if it rains Saturday and the roof is closed.
I want to see what Navarro brings to table against Sabalenka first. Emma is so calm and unintimidated by the big stage. I can see her putting a lot of early pressure on Aryna who wasn't really tested tonight at all.

Reactions: 17futurecap

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looks like Grigor has added large designer ear plugs to his gear (probably just head phones, no evidence of them now) I know for once I'm not turning the sound down on this one.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Impressive first set from Francis who handled the pressure with ease while playing consistent solid tennis. Real sense of command right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is a susrprisingly low-key match right now with Tiafoe dominatiing while Grigor looks absolutely clueless about how to switch the momentum.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Old time Grigor reappears to default twice on set point....and lmao, Tiafoe returns the favour to lose the breaker 7-5.

Hard to guess what happens next. The match is now officially thrown on its head. Still, how much gas in the tank does Grigor really have?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Grigor on the way to losing the third set and now he seems to have come up with some sort of injury that limits his chances even more.

At a guess, it's a groin pull, and it doesn't take much of one to make playing tennis an impossibility.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3-love, Foe. Grigor should give up the ghost. He really doesn't have to play it out. Everyone would understand.

And Grigor retires at 4-1.

Fritz/Tiafoe will be one hell of a semifinal in New York under the lights.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Heartbroken for Dimi, such an awesome return to brilliance to be done in by injuries twice this year at Grand Slams.

Foe v Fritz should be good. Heart says Foe but head says Taylor

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Think I went 1-3 yesterday, but that never deters me.

Sinner over Medvedev: This one was a virtual toss up. Won't be surprised if it goes the other way.

Demon over Draper: I think Draper's inexperience at this level might cause problems. I've never seen him play better, though.

Swiatek over Pegula: Iga has kind of flown under the radar. It's not like she hasn't won the US Open before. I think she will be very motivated.

Muchova over Haddad Maia: Close one, but Muchova seems really in form at the moment.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Same picks, the Medevdev/Sinner winner will become the run away favorite as they should.

Muchova in 2
Iga in 2
Sinner in another 5 set classic between them
ADM in 5

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Muchova off to a great start 6-1 over Haddad Maia in the first set. If BHM has a plan, I don't know what it is.

After a health scare, Muchova moves to the quarterfinals. Haddad Maia just never developed a strategy that work, partly because Muchova did so many things (return, movement, aggression, tactics, et al) better than she did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad