Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
2023 champs were Djokovic and Gauff.

Djokovic looking to defend his title and extend his career GS total lead. But I don't think I'd bet on him winning. I think I'd bet on one of the other 4 guys in the top 5 winning. I wouldn't bet real money against Djokovic however :laugh:

Gauff is not in great form and I'd be very surprised to see her win here again. Sabalenka looking strong in Cincy seems like a good bet.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Men's side predictions

Quarters

Alcaraz/De Minaur
Paul/Medvedev

Zverev/Fritz
Djokoviic/Rublev

Semis

Alcaraz over Paul
Djokovic over Zverev

Final

Alcaraz over Djokovic

On the women's side, I think Sabalenka is a strong favourite.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Men's side predictions

Quarters

Alcaraz/De Minaur
Paul/Medvedev

Zverev/Fritz
Djokoviic/Rublev

Semis

Alcaraz over Paul
Djokovic over Zverev

Final

Alcaraz over Djokovic

On the women's side, I think Sabalenka is a strong favourite.
Did you omit Sinner because of the allegations or do you think he loses before the Quarters? I think he's actually the slight favorite and I say this as an Alcaraz fan.

He's the most match ready of the top 3 and hard courts suit his strengths. Maybe the distractions will be too much to overcome but, on paper, I'd consider him the favorite assuming that his conditioning holds up which is always a question with him,

Agreed on Sabalenka. She should have won last year if she didn't implode against CoCo so I expect her to be hungrier this time around and take it.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... On the women's side, I think Sabalenka is a strong favourite.
Agreed. Raducanu hasn't won a match at the US Open in 3 years and has Kenin in the first round! I'm taking Kenin for the win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Did you omit Sinner because of the allegations or do you think he loses before the Quarters? I think he's actually the slight favorite and I say this as an Alcaraz fan.

He's the most match ready of the top 3 and hard courts suit his strengths. Maybe the distractions will be too much to overcome but, on paper, I'd consider him the favorite assuming that his conditioning holds up which is always a question with him,

Agreed on Sabalenka. She should have won last year if she didn't implode against CoCo so I expect her to be hungrier this time around and take it.
I have the feeling that the US Open crowd might be tough on Sinner in a way that Jannik has never experienced, especially in his potential fourth-round match up against Tommy Paul where the crowd will be aggressively very partisan. If it is a night match, even more so. Given the fact that I'm not sure Sinner is physically 100% yet with the knee, Paul, with his athleticism and court coverage, seems ideally placed to pull an upset. Obviously I'm not claiming that it is a sure thing, but I think the possibility is real.

Reactions: CupofOil

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I have the feeling that the US Open crowd might be tough on Sinner in a way that Jannik has never experienced, especially in his potential fourth-round match up against Tommy Paul where the crowd will be aggressively very partisan. If it is a night match, even more so. Given the fact that I'm not sure Sinner is physically 100% yet with the knee, Paul, with his athleticism and court coverage, seems ideally placed to pull an upset. Obviously I'm not claiming that it is a sure thing, but I think the possibility is real.

He's my favorite player and I'm probably gonna try to catch one of his matches but yeah I kinda agree with this. He'll get some flack for it by the US Open crowd to the likes he hasn't seen yet

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's my favorite player and I'm probably gonna try to catch one of his matches but yeah I kinda agree with this. He'll get some flack for it by the US Open crowd to the likes he hasn't seen yet
While I think the crowd response may still be a factor, after that press conference, he is going to have a lot of supporters, too. I think he handled those questions beautifully, especially after the US Open moderator tried to limit the discussion to one lone question at the beginning of the interview. None of the reporters were having any of that nonsense, and Sinner was very forthcoming and patient in his response to all of their queries.

From one perspective, the possible negative crowd response may be less stressful to him than waiting all those weeks to find out the tribunal's verdict. Even an innocent man would be relieved to finally get that weight off his shoulders. He may be more relaxed now than any time since his first positive test. Whatever the crowd response, I would bet that he has the poise and maturity to handle it. And likely bring most people around to his side, too.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
While I think the crowd response may still be a factor, after that press conference, he is going to have a lot of supporters, too. I think he handled those questions beautifully, especially after the US Open moderator tried to limit the discussion to one lone question at the beginning of the interview. None of the reporters were having any of that nonsense, and Sinner was very forthcoming and patient in his response to all of their queries.

From one perspective, the possible negative crowd response may be less stressful to him than waiting all those weeks to find out the tribunal's verdict. Even an innocent man would be relieved to finally get that weight off his shoulders. He may be more relaxed now than any time since his first positive test. Whatever the crowd response, I would bet that he has the poise and maturity to handle it. And likely bring most people around to his side, too.

I think it depends on the matchup like you said. The worst thing possible would him getting Fritz/Paul late in the tournament (haven't seen the draws to know about Fritz but you did highlight a matchup with Paul soon which should honestly happen depending if Tommy can get his hard court game after coming back from the Olympics and getting bounced quickly in Toronto/Cincy). I think the men's side is really open this year at the USO.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner's draw is brutal. Potential opponents:

Round 1: McDonald
Round 2: Michelsen
Round 3: Jarry
Round 4: Paul
Quarters: Medvedev
Semis: Alcaraz
Finals: Djokovic

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some tasty first round matches on both sides:

Shelton/Thiem
Musetti/Opelka
FAA/Mensik
Rune/Nakashima
Tsitsipas/Kokkinakis
Draper/Zhang

Ostapenko/Ozaka
Fernandez/Potapova
Zheng/Anisimova
Paolini/Andreescu
Raducanu/Kenin

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'll take Alcaraz and Sabalenka.

I do like the Zverev callout. I also feel like he's going to win one at some point. I could see it here.

Reactions: 17futurecap

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sorry, late reply.
I can't see Sinner losing to Paul on a medium to fast HC which Ashe should be but you're right that if Jannik is distracted that Paul is a dangerous guy to face especially if it's a night match.
We'll see. Sinner looked primed and ready to go at Cincy.

I think Zverev is a real darkhorse, if a top 4 player can be considered one, I know he tends to clam up in the big matches but he plays the top guys really well and he has the game to take it all the way if he keeps his mental focus which of course is an issue for Big Z. He beat Alcaraz and Sinner in the last 2 HC slams, no small feat.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry, late reply.
I can't see Sinner losing to Paul on a medium to fast HC which Ashe should be but you're right that if Jannik is distracted that Paul is a dangerous guy to face especially if it's a night match.
We'll see. Sinner looked primed and ready to go at Cincy.

I think Zverev is a real darkhorse, if a top 4 player can be considered one, I know he tends to clam up in the big matches but he plays the top guys really well and he has the game to take it all the way if he keeps his mental focus which of course is an issue for Big Z. He beat Alcaraz and Sinner in the last 2 HC slams, no small feat.
I think there’s a bigger chance the heat does Sinner in than the crowd. Day match in August or early September isn’t ideal for someone who has fitness issues.

Reactions: MsMeow

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What a slap in the face it must be for Keys, Navarro, Pegula, Collins, actual top 20 American female players, that they choose the 62nd ranked player for a night match at Ashe just because she won the tournament years back and is American.

Heck, Sofia Kenin is an American with the same amount of slams and is higher ranked, along with playing a more exciting opponent (Raducanu vs. Burel), and despite all that the snooze fest of Stephens vs. Burel, two irrelevant players outside the top 50, somehow gets a night match at Arthur Ashe.

What apps do you all use to watch the Tennis tours ?
Tennis channel.

Reactions: VaporTrail

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wonder what the over/under for games won by Albot will be--six? seven?

First set: 6-2 Nole as Albot is awful, and a grouchy Nole pretty much stays in cruise control.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad