Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fernandez and Andreescu both at 4-all in the third set in their respective matches...and neither can manage to make it to a breaker as Paolini defeats Andreescu 6-4 and Potopova defeats Fernandez 7-5.

With FAA and Shapo going out in straight sets, a very bleak day in Canadian tennis despite Diallo's sliver of light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy and SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Fernandez and Andreescu both at 4-all in the third set in their respective matches...and neither can manage to make it to a breaker as Paolini defeats Andreescu 6-4 and Potopova defeats Fernandez 7-5.

With FAA and Shapo going out in straight sets, a very bleak day in Canadian tennis despite Diallo's sliver of light.
Yeah, not a good year at all for the canadians other than Felix’s olympic bronze medal in doubles.

As of now it certainly feels like Felix and Shapo had their peak about 3 years ago. Don’t know if they’ll ever produce those results again.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Yeah, not a good year at all for the canadians other than Felix’s olympic bronze medal in doubles.

As of now it certainly feels like Felix and Shapo had their peak about 3 years ago. Don’t know if they’ll ever produce those results again.

Man, I remember 7/8 years ago Shapovalov and FAA were talked about as some of the next big things in tennis and were going to stake claim to some of the best tennis ever seen by Canadian male tennis players, with a few Grand Slams in the cards. Now they both look like their time has already come and gone. They're quickly heading down the Eugenie Bouchard path (minus her looks that she can fall back on outside of her fizzled tennis playing career).

Thank goodness Andreescu won that US Open (five years ago already?! 😲), otherwise God knows if and when we'd have seen a Canadian singles tennis player win a Grand Slam.

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Man, I remember 7/8 years ago Shapovalov and FAA were talked about as some of the next big things in tennis and were going to stake claim to some of the best tennis ever seen by Canadian male tennis players, with a few Grand Slams in the cards. Now they both look like their time has already come and gone. They're quickly heading down the Eugenie Bouchard path (minus her looks that she can fall back on outside of her fizzled tennis playing career).

Thank goodness Andreescu won that US Open (five years ago already?! 😲), otherwise God knows if and when we'd have seen a Canadian singles tennis player win a Grand Slam.
Consistency is very hard in tennis, only a few can maintain top results year after year.

Bouchard had a good career all things considered since more players than we think has an incredible year or 2 then kinda disappear. She had a good peak year then got to maintain herself in the top 30 for about 4 years.

It goes for Felix and Shapo too and someone like Tsitsipas is experiencing the same thing right now.

We should still enjoy having a player like Felix until he lasts, who knows when Canada will have another player of his level (around top 15-20).

And yeah, 5 years since Andreescu won. 3 years since the Fernandez/Raducanu final already 🤭

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gonna be a long night.

Paul sails through the first two sets against Sonego who looks like, having just won Winstem-Salem, he is having a bit of a let down. And then, down a break in the third, Sonego gets interested and starts playing great tennis while Paul, simultaneously, suddenly loses the thread. Going to a fourth set. 1:00 AM already, but can't wait to see what happens next.

Paul picks up his game and wins the fourth set 6-2. More aggressive than I have ever seen him--42/54 at the net, more serve and volley, more emphasis on the transition game. Looks damn good on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
While it was a light hearted jab a few months ago, it's pretty funny and true what Casper said about Tommy Paul after you watch his matches.

After the players exchanged stories, De Minaur brought up his 6-0, 6-0 defeat to Paul in the US Open Juniors semifinals. Ruud, along with Thiem, expressed astonishment, leading Ruud to ask: "Wow. Was he able to focus for 12 games in a row? I can't believe that."

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Women seeds ended up going 26 and 6 for the first round. The polar opposite of the recent norm, that is one mightily impressive showing. Men's seeds were 25-7 by comparison. Neither side lost a top ten seed in the first round either.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Women seeds ended up going 26 and 6 for the first round. The polar opposite of the recent norm, that is one mightily impressive showing. Men's seeds were 25-7 by comparison. Neither side lost a top ten seed in the first round either.
Wasn’t Sakkari 9th seed?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kokkinakis is an interesting case. I always think of him as a really good player, capable of doing what he did yesterday, knocking out someone like Tsitsipas in the first round. It's always a shock to me when I realize that his highest lifetime ranking is #65. I find that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to Thanasi.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Kokkinakis is an interesting case. I always think of him as a really good player, capable of doing what he did yesterday, knocking out someone like Tsitsipas in the first round. It's always a shock to me when I realize that his highest lifetime ranking is #65. I find that appearances can be deceiving when it comes to Thanasi.

He's got a big, nice game. If he was ever able to stay healthy then I think he could have been a lot more.

It is quite surprising that he's never risen above 65. A couple more wins here and he would do it.

I remember him being talked about as a potential big star. Him, Tomic and Kyrgios the next great generation of Australian tennis...

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Give me Madison Keys as the shock winner, if there is one, of the women's US open, looks insanely impressive so far. Probably should've won Wimbledon too if she doesn't get hurt v Paolini.

Last edited:

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Krueger up two sets and 3-0 in the third to fall apart, and then have to go back to the Challenger tour must be so tough to take.

Life of a journeyman.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not exactly a line-up today on either side that sends the pulse racing, though Fritz/Berrettini under the lighs sounds fun.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev in big trouble down two sets against Rinderknech, not a guy known for his steely nerves, though. (Later: Andrei takes the last three sets at the expense of only five games).

Lehecka, looking god-awful, comes back from two sets down against an American nobody named Krueger who in a thirteen career has won only nine matches total on the ATP tour, with only one win coming after 2022. Don't think I am betting on Jiri any time soon.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Humbert is a major clown to losing to Comesana, his best surface and he just lost to a dude who played on clay challengers before the US Open.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Rublev in big trouble down two sets against Rinderknech, not a guy known for his steely nerves, though.

Lehecka, looking god-awful, comes back from two sets down against an American nobody named Krueger who in a thirteen career has won only nine matches total on the ATP tour, with only one win coming after 2022. Don't think I am betting on Jiri any time soon.

Jiri has had some insane comebacks this year, the one v Goffin comes to mind as well.

Rublev shouldn't have lost set 2 tbh, but he comes through in a 5 setter. Not the best thing to do dealing with a serve bot early in the tournament like that.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Musetti wins a marathon five-setter in 90 degree heat against Kecmanovic, who seems to always fall just short, but, god, he gave it his all this time. Both were dead by the start of the fifth set but managed to almost get to a breaker. But just after he had saved two match points in the previous game, Musetti broke and then served it out 7-5. The kind of match that makes you proud of both players.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This must set an exceedingly minor but still curious record. Nole and Djere meeting tonight marks only the second time in GS history that players with surnames that began with "Dj" have faced each other in a Grand Slam match. First time it happened was last year at the '23 US Open.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Women's seeds continue their strong showing going 12-2 today.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz's relatively easy straight set win over Berrettini last night makes him look like a pretty convincing dark horse at the moment.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fritz's relatively easy straight set win over Berrettini last night makes him look like a pretty convincing dark horse at the moment.
That surprised me, Berrettini has been in really good form this summer so I expected a marathon match in this one. Fritz looked good but Berrettini looked surprisingly uninterested.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That surprised me, Berrettini has been in really good form this summer so I expected a marathon match in this one. Fritz looked good but Berrettini looked surprisingly uninterested.

Fritz is a hard court demon, Berrettini been making most of his hay this summer on the clay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad