Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
There's a lot of GMs who suck at their jobs but don't sound like morons when talking to the media...what does that matter?
Public perception is incredibly important in sports. The franchise has been a laughing stock for how many years now? Only part of that had to do with on-ice performance. The rest was the Dorion show.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well would you rather suck at your job quietly or suck at your job and sound like a complete moron as well?
That doesn't matter to me. I'm not judging Staios on his public speaking style, I'm judging him on the results we get. He could be as gifted an orator as Obama was and it wouldn't matter if we don't get good results. Would it make a difference to you?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Public perception is incredibly important in sports. The franchise has been a laughing stock for how many years now? Only part of that had to do with on-ice performance. The rest was the Dorion show.
The Edmonton Oilers were an even bigger laughing stock and the only thing that changed that was on-ice success. Dorion wouldn't have really been a story if this team was making the playoffs consistently, it's really not that complicated. This is a results league. You don't get results, you get fired. It's only people on this board who continue to have this weird obsession with a guy who was fired more than a year ago and his poor public speaking style. If we were making the playoffs consistently, he could have talked like The Count from Sesame Street for all I give a shit.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People need to calm down on the Staios love.

So far he's only made a bunch of moves.

We have no idea if the team got better.
Dorion spent 7 years trying to solve goaltending unsuccessfully. Staios solved it in less than one year and dumped the worst UFA contract ever handed out in Ottawa as part of that deal. That deal is the work of a genius at least.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Edmonton Oilers were an even bigger laughing stock and the only thing that changed that was on-ice success. Dorion wouldn't have really been a story if this team was making the playoffs consistently, it's really not that complicated. This is a results league. You don't get results, you get fired. It's only people on this board who continue to have this weird obsession with a guy who was fired more than a year ago and his poor public speaking style. If we were making the playoffs consistently, he could have talked like The Count from Sesame Street for all I give a shit.
They also weren't making the playoffs in large part because he wasn't good at his job though, so it all kind of plays in together when assessing the disastrous period under his "leadership".

Reactions: Loach

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
They also weren't making the playoffs in large part because he wasn't good at his job though, so it all kind of plays in together when assessing the disastrous period under his "leadership".
Yes, results are the only thing that matter to me. I don't care if he's a good public speaker or not. When the Oilers were drafting 1st overall 500 times in a row, no one was saying "well, at least Tambellini is a confident public speaker". It's not a thing anyone actually gives a shit about except these weirdos who are obsessed with this f***ing guy and his speech pattern.

Dorion didn't do a good enough job to get this team into the playoffs. Yes, some things went against him with disastrous injuries but he didn't get results when it was time to get results. In an alternate universe where he was a good public speaker, it still wouldn't have mattered because he. didn't. get. results.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, results are the only thing that matter to me. I don't care if he's a good public speaker or not. When the Oilers were drafting 1st overall 500 times in a row, no one was saying "well, at least Tambellini is a confident public speaker". It's not a thing anyone actually gives a shit about except these weirdos who are obsessed with this f***ing guy and his speech pattern.

Dorion didn't do a good enough job to get this team into the playoffs. Yes, some things went against him with disastrous injuries but he didn't get results when it was time to get results. In an alternate universe where he was a good public speaker, it still wouldn't have mattered because he. didn't. get. results.
I don't disagree to an extent, but also don't care if people want to poke fun at him. Have at it. His tenure was disastrous and he had a special ability to make meme worthy content above and beyond most of his peers. Is what it is imo and guys that can't handle the media get roasted for it, sort of like how Kawhi Leonard was teased so hard after his Raptors press conference and spawned memorable memes and quotes for years, or how Sean Avery couldn't help himself to say dumb shit. Dorion was just a guy pushed way out of his element.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't disagree to an extent, but also don't care if people want to poke fun at him. Have at it. His tenure was disastrous and he had a special ability to make meme worthy content above and beyond most of his peers. Is what it is imo and guys that can't handle the media get roasted for it, sort of like how Kawhi Leonard was teased so hard after his Raptors press conference and spawned memorable memes and quotes for years, or how Sean Avery couldn't help himself to say dumb shit. Dorion was just a guy pushed way out of his element.
And yet ask the average Raps fan what they remember about Kawhi's time with the team and 100% of them will say the championship they won.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
And yet ask the average Raps fan what they remember about Kawhi's time with the team and 100% of them will say the championship they won.
Probably not the best example to have used given how insanely successful that Kawhi ordeal was for everyone involved, but my point is the jokes live on and get referenced. I don't agree it's that simple. He'll always be the "Fun Guy" with the awkward laugh. You're not wrong that Dorion gets double dunked on because his tenure was a failure, but the jokes and references live on either way. I don't get why it matters or why it bothers anyone to poke fun at the past. We reference "Are you an Expert?" and "Probably Not" pretty often here too. Just part of the teams history now to reference things like Dorion staring off into the abyss for a minute before saying "We're a Team" and acknowledging that him being so in over his head was part of the bush league appearance the franchise was putting out for years.

You're probably right that some really want to take it further and it gets out of place, but we do have a fresh quote from Dorion, so they're not the only ones not letting it go it seems. He's not going to go quietly into the night if he puts his defense out on the airwaves and it'll be a hot discussion here I'm sure.

Reactions: Loach

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Dorion spent 7 years trying to solve goaltending unsuccessfully. Staios solved it in less than one year and dumped the worst UFA contract ever handed out in Ottawa as part of that deal. That deal is the work of a genius at least.
Well yes, goaltending was bad. People agree with this. Whether that was the only issue, or whether this was the only big problem remains to be seen. That’s why they play the games. Personally, I’ll be optimistic. Things should improve. But, by how much, we don’t know. I’ll keep a watchful eye on things.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well yes, goaltending was bad. People agree with this. Whether that was the only issue, or whether this was the only big problem remains to be seen. That’s why they play the games. Personally, I’ll be optimistic. Things should improve. But, by how much, we don’t know. I’ll keep a watchful eye on things.
Perception is skewed by results.

Boston gave up more High Danger chances last year than Ottawa yet the questions remain about Ullmark playing behind the Sens and people thought Korpse would be better behind the Bruins.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Of course I’d prefer a team representative who speaks well because it reflects on the organization to a certain extent.

But I’d also hire Forrest Gump to be the GM if it meant we had a good shot at a Cup.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So considering we dumped 12M of deadweight in the form of Korpisalo's remaining 16M owed in the deal, we're effectively going to be paying Ullmark 26M over the next 5 years (5M this year, 33M over the next 4, minus 12M)

Works out to 5.2M per season for a goalie with an elite track record in this league.

Phenomenal job by Staios on this trade/signing. Would have never thought it possible.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Perception is skewed by results.

Boston gave up more High Danger chances last year than Ottawa yet the questions remain about Ullmark playing behind the Sens and people thought Korpse would be better behind the Bruins.
I guess I am more insensitive to what other people say, at least to some degree. I probably spend less time on social media (outside of HF) than some, although there’s probably some people on HF I’m sure that voice the opinions you’ve outlined above.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's fair. I'm optimistic about the rest, but the only part I'm truly 100% bullish on as a guaranteed upgrade is the Ullmark in/Korpisalo out exchange. The fact that he accomplished both in the same deal is downright dumbfounding to me, but it's nice to be on the other end of the fleecing.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
That's fair. I'm optimistic about the rest, but the only part I'm truly 100% bullish on as a guaranteed upgrade is the Ullmark in/Korpisalo out exchange. The fact that he accomplished both in the same deal is downright dumbfounding to me, but it's nice to be on the other end of the fleecing.
Yes, goaltending has been significantly upgraded. I doubt anyone will disagree with that. With regard to that trade, I guess there weren’t better offers from other teams?

I do think it also boils down to expectations. The minimal goal for me is to make the playoffs. At this stage, “playing meaningful games” is a low bar almost to the point of being cringe worthy.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

being able to communicate clearly is a pretty damn important part of the GM position. gives cohesion and a sense of stability to the operation not only to the public but internally as well. whenever dorion spoke people were left saying wtf.

not to mention being able to communicate well is positively related to intelligence.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
being able to communicate clearly is a pretty damn important part of the GM position. gives cohesion and a sense of stability to the operation not only to the public but internally as well. whenever dorion spoke people were left saying wtf.

not to mention being able to communicate well is positively related to intelligence.

I can’t believe that even needs to be said, who wants a buffoon with no results for a boss.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

How do you evaluate Bill Bellichuk as a communicator? He certainly had a successful track record. His style was often gruff and atypical.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, goaltending has been significantly upgraded. I doubt anyone will disagree with that. With regard to that trade, I guess there weren’t better offers from other teams?

I do think it also boils down to expectations. The minimal goal for me is to make the playoffs. At this stage, “playing meaningful games” is a low bar almost to the point of being cringe worthy.
That obviously played a part, as did Ullmark's UFA status, but it's still sort of unbelievable that we accomplished both in the same deal.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
How do you evaluate Bill Bellichuk as a communicator? He certainly had a successful track record. His style was often gruff and atypical.

he certainly commanded respect. and i doubt he would have been as successful if he had trouble getting his message across.

who honestly has said that they respect dorion? maybe the bootlickers?

but i don't think anyone who was in contact with him went out of their way to praise or pay respect to dorion.

i mean dorion is probably the reason why Alfredsson left in the first place and didn't come back until he was gone.

also bill can quite clearly control his emotions. dorion was impulsive often let his emotions get the better of him . he never really sounded like a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad