Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
There's a lot of GMs who suck at their jobs but don't sound like morons when talking to the media...what does that matter?
Public perception is incredibly important in sports. The franchise has been a laughing stock for how many years now? Only part of that had to do with on-ice performance. The rest was the Dorion show.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Well would you rather suck at your job quietly or suck at your job and sound like a complete moron as well?
That doesn't matter to me. I'm not judging Staios on his public speaking style, I'm judging him on the results we get. He could be as gifted an orator as Obama was and it wouldn't matter if we don't get good results. Would it make a difference to you?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Public perception is incredibly important in sports. The franchise has been a laughing stock for how many years now? Only part of that had to do with on-ice performance. The rest was the Dorion show.
The Edmonton Oilers were an even bigger laughing stock and the only thing that changed that was on-ice success. Dorion wouldn't have really been a story if this team was making the playoffs consistently, it's really not that complicated. This is a results league. You don't get results, you get fired. It's only people on this board who continue to have this weird obsession with a guy who was fired more than a year ago and his poor public speaking style. If we were making the playoffs consistently, he could have talked like The Count from Sesame Street for all I give a shit.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
People need to calm down on the Staios love.

So far he's only made a bunch of moves.

We have no idea if the team got better.
Dorion spent 7 years trying to solve goaltending unsuccessfully. Staios solved it in less than one year and dumped the worst UFA contract ever handed out in Ottawa as part of that deal. That deal is the work of a genius at least.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Edmonton Oilers were an even bigger laughing stock and the only thing that changed that was on-ice success. Dorion wouldn't have really been a story if this team was making the playoffs consistently, it's really not that complicated. This is a results league. You don't get results, you get fired. It's only people on this board who continue to have this weird obsession with a guy who was fired more than a year ago and his poor public speaking style. If we were making the playoffs consistently, he could have talked like The Count from Sesame Street for all I give a shit.
They also weren't making the playoffs in large part because he wasn't good at his job though, so it all kind of plays in together when assessing the disastrous period under his "leadership".

Reactions: Loach

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
They also weren't making the playoffs in large part because he wasn't good at his job though, so it all kind of plays in together when assessing the disastrous period under his "leadership".
Yes, results are the only thing that matter to me. I don't care if he's a good public speaker or not. When the Oilers were drafting 1st overall 500 times in a row, no one was saying "well, at least Tambellini is a confident public speaker". It's not a thing anyone actually gives a shit about except these weirdos who are obsessed with this f***ing guy and his speech pattern.

Dorion didn't do a good enough job to get this team into the playoffs. Yes, some things went against him with disastrous injuries but he didn't get results when it was time to get results. In an alternate universe where he was a good public speaker, it still wouldn't have mattered because he. didn't. get. results.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, results are the only thing that matter to me. I don't care if he's a good public speaker or not. When the Oilers were drafting 1st overall 500 times in a row, no one was saying "well, at least Tambellini is a confident public speaker". It's not a thing anyone actually gives a shit about except these weirdos who are obsessed with this f***ing guy and his speech pattern.

Dorion didn't do a good enough job to get this team into the playoffs. Yes, some things went against him with disastrous injuries but he didn't get results when it was time to get results. In an alternate universe where he was a good public speaker, it still wouldn't have mattered because he. didn't. get. results.
I don't disagree to an extent, but also don't care if people want to poke fun at him. Have at it. His tenure was disastrous and he had a special ability to make meme worthy content above and beyond most of his peers. Is what it is imo and guys that can't handle the media get roasted for it, sort of like how Kawhi Leonard was teased so hard after his Raptors press conference and spawned memorable memes and quotes for years, or how Sean Avery couldn't help himself to say dumb shit. Dorion was just a guy pushed way out of his element.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I don't disagree to an extent, but also don't care if people want to poke fun at him. Have at it. His tenure was disastrous and he had a special ability to make meme worthy content above and beyond most of his peers. Is what it is imo and guys that can't handle the media get roasted for it, sort of like how Kawhi Leonard was teased so hard after his Raptors press conference and spawned memorable memes and quotes for years, or how Sean Avery couldn't help himself to say dumb shit. Dorion was just a guy pushed way out of his element.
And yet ask the average Raps fan what they remember about Kawhi's time with the team and 100% of them will say the championship they won.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad