Confirmed with Link: UPDATE: Contract Terminated - Arizona signs Alex Galchenyuk - 1 year, 2-way, 775k contract

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think I interpreted what you'd said earlier as asserting something else, but we seem to be mostly congruent on this anyway. I'm probably more nitpicky on this because I used to do neuroscience research on memory before I decided not to pursue academia.

My daughter's going into neuroscience research - just started college this week.

Reactions: sundance74

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
All I know is that if the addict does not want to help them self no one can help them.
Yep. I spent 3 months in a place I chose up in Prescott to get treatment for alcohol addiction, 12 years ago. I saw a lot of guys get booted for not wanting to be there. The rehab wasn't wasting their time or a bed on someone that didn't really want help. There was a shortage of beds so if you weren't "doing the deal" you got "86'd" so they could bring in someone that did.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Those of us who play a wee bit too much golf know that the game is addictive. And stupid folly mostly.

Golf is evil.

What other game can so thoroughly demoralize you over 17 holes, but you get one fairly decent drive and/or chip shot on 18 and you immediately think, "I can get good at this!!!"?

Surprised the official golf outfit isn't black leather and ball gags.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Golf is evil.

What other game can so thoroughly demoralize you over 17 holes, but you get one fairly decent drive and/or chip shot on 18 and you immediately think, "I can get good at this!!!"?

Surprised the official golf outfit isn't black leather and ball gags.
Haha nice. I am coming out of about 9 straight years of having some form of infant/toddler and have just started the obsession again to get to be a scratch player. Shot my career best 73 a few weeks ago but can still go out and have a day like I did yesterday and shoot 85. Silly game. Managing expectations helps haha.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My 8 year old likes playing hockey a lot. Has a lot of fun doing it. But he’s never really pestering me for new gear, he’s not asking to watch it on tv, and he’s not all that into getting extra ice time. He’s basically like an 8 year old beer leaguer. So I don’t think he’s long for the sport. I’m guessing he’ll get through squirts and call it a career.

Especially because of golf. Kid loves it. He’s a golf nut. Much more obsessed with golf than with hockey. Which is kind of funny because he’s a wild and crazy physical kid. He gets in trouble at hockey for throwing checks and being a snap case. But he’s the super focused and obedient golf pupil. It’s funny to watch.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My 8 year old likes playing hockey a lot. Has a lot of fun doing it. But he’s never really pestering me for new gear, he’s not asking to watch it on tv, and he’s not all that into getting extra ice time. He’s basically like an 8 year old beer leaguer. So I don’t think he’s long for the sport. I’m guessing he’ll get through squirts and call it a career.

Especially because of golf. Kid loves it. He’s a golf nut. Much more obsessed with golf than with hockey. Which is kind of funny because he’s a wild and crazy physical kid. He gets in trouble at hockey for throwing checks and being a snap case. But he’s the super focused and obedient golf pupil. It’s funny to watch.
I was disappointed when my son quit hockey, for selfish reasons I guess. He loves golf and the way it sounds is getting pretty good at it. Even my daughter has taken up golf and she seems to like it as well. Years ago my wife and I took a few golf lessons when we met and were told golf is very popular elderly sport because husband and wife can play together. Didn't work out. My wife took up TV 101 and hasn't looked back.:laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I was disappointed when my son quit hockey, for selfish reasons I guess. He loves golf and the way it sounds is getting pretty good at it. Even my daughter has taken up golf and she seems to like it as well. Years ago my wife and I took a few golf lessons when we met and were told golf is very popular elderly sport because husband and wife can play together. Didn't work out. My wife took up TV 101 and hasn't looked back.:laugh:

I took golf lessons about 20 years ago in Scottsdale and all it did was make me understand that golf pros have the cushiest jobs on the entire planet.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m ok with my son being likely to walk away from hockey soon. He doesn’t really have the talent or the passion to be serious about it. Which is fine with me because being serious about playing hockey takes over the life of the family to some extent. It’s a huge investment of time and money to play travel hockey. I’d be thrilled if he just played house league until high school. It feels like a healthy, fun hobby. Travel is too much like a lifestyle.

Of course my 5 year old loves hockey so now I’ve probably jinxed myself and I’ll end up with a kid who’s 100% all-in. Haha.

I basically just love in-house league youth hockey. It’s so much fun to coach and be around. I love the culture of the “fun league”. It’s beer league for kids. And I think it’s great.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I’m ok with my son being likely to walk away from hockey soon. He doesn’t really have the talent or the passion to be serious about it. Which is fine with me because being serious about playing hockey takes over the life of the family to some extent. It’s a huge investment of time and money to play travel hockey. I’d be thrilled if he just played house league until high school. It feels like a healthy, fun hobby. Travel is too much like a lifestyle.

Of course my 5 year old loves hockey so now I’ve probably jinxed myself and I’ll end up with a kid who’s 100% all-in. Haha.

I basically just love in-house league youth hockey. It’s so much fun to coach and be around. I love the culture of the “fun league”. It’s beer league for kids. And I think it’s great.
absolutely 100% agree. Our son started with roller hockey at 10 yrs old, went to ice at 11, played house leagues, a couple travel seasons with ( now defunct?) VOSHA , then high school. He is now 33 and plays adult beer league with friends. When asked, he will tell you his pee wee house and travel years were the most fun. I assistant coached several of his house teams and we had some great times together. When he got to 17, they let him into the beer league I was in and we played together on the same team for 3 years. A Dads dream it was. My only career hat trick came when as left D he skated the puck all the way down to the goal line , then passed it to my stick in the crease and I tapped it in. It is the memory of a lifetime.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
absolutely 100% agree. Our son started with roller hockey at 10 yrs old, went to ice at 11, played house leagues, a couple travel seasons with ( now defunct?) VOSHA , then high school. He is now 33 and plays adult beer league with friends. When asked, he will tell you his pee wee house and travel years were the most fun. I assistant coached several of his house teams and we had some great times together. When he got to 17, they let him into the beer league I was in and we played together on the same team for 3 years. A Dads dream it was. My only career hat trick came when as left D he skated the puck all the way down to the goal line , then passed it to my stick in the crease and I tapped it in. It is the memory of a lifetime.
but perhaps even more meaningful, in 2017 I needed a bone marrow stem cell transplant to avoid dying of leukemia. that same son was the stem cell donor. i sure love that guy.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

How much are the house leagues around here?

My two year old is a lefty, and I'm getting very dangerous thoughts about putting him in pitching camp and baseball here soon. haha

Reactions: Summer Rose

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
My daughter's going into neuroscience research - just started college this week.
Is it behavioral neuroscience, like the biology end of it working with rats down to directly recording neurons, or cognitive neuroscience with mostly human subjects and brain scans and the lot. It can vary by university whether it's a neuro department stuck in with the bio department or with psychology. I did cognitive, so mine was with psychology.

Reactions: Kaizen

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is it behavioral neuroscience, like the biology end of it working with rats down to directly recording neurons, or cognitive neuroscience with mostly human subjects and brain scans and the lot. It can vary by university whether it's a neuro department stuck in with the bio department or with psychology. I did cognitive, so mine was with psychology.
I'm not sure if she's decided which branch yet, but she was leaning toward cognitive. She is very interested to find out why she and her sisters have neurodivergent tendencies, but she didn't want to do actual clinical psychology or psychiatry because she doesn't want to deal with patients every day. :laugh:

Reactions: Sinurgy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5