NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Folks have different tastes. I actually find McDonough more engaging that either Sirott or Faust. Sirott does a decent job on radio and his energy is good, but I find his call is fairly one-dimensional and gets repetitive quite quickly. Faust was solid when he had his opportunity, no complaints, if he got the job full-time I'd be fine with it. McDonough IMO just has that little bit more gravitas and breadth to his call that comes with years of experience. Sure he's not the most exciting of all time, but I don't find him boring and I'd wager he'd change his style and play to the home galleries a bit more if calling for NESN as opposed to a national broadcaster.

I have never listened to Sirott even once, as I had no interest after Dave Gaucher left the booth.

Faust seems fine to me.

I've always liked Sean, though it's true he's not a young man anymore.

I remember once, after a Sox game on TV38, Lou Gorman was the guest and they were taking viewer calls.

A guy called up and opined that Lou was likely a good dancer, and perhaps the two of them might get together some time.

Mortifying and hilarious.

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
You've had 65+ posts on this board since creating your account. Every single one has been about yourself or related to promoting yourself for this job.

You haven't talked at all about the team or roster leading up to or post FA.

So to me it seems like you're just trying to use this forum to plug yourself for the job and once you get/don't get that use out of the community here you are gone. If it was the Flyers/Ranger/Islanders/NJ etc. with a PxP vacancy I am sure you would be on their forum trying to sell yourself.

Gotta be honest none of this feels authentic.
Also, gotta be honest, the demo kinda sucks...

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
You've had 65+ posts on this board since creating your account. Every single one has been about yourself or related to promoting yourself for this job.

You haven't talked at all about the team or roster leading up to or post FA.

So to me it seems like you're just trying to use this forum to plug yourself for the job and once you get/don't get that use out of the community here you are gone. If it was the Flyers/Ranger/Islanders/NJ etc. with a PxP vacancy I am sure you would be on their forum trying to sell yourself.

Gotta be honest none of this feels authentic.
We rarely agree but spot on. Not to mention watching his videos I would throw myself out of a window first than listen to him call a game.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
We rarely agree but spot on. Not to mention watching his videos I would throw myself out of a window first than listen to him call a game.

1719966969153.png

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I understand that the "cheap NESN" narrative is tons of fun, but it ignores the fact that ALL of cable TV is in trouble due to streaming. RSNs, ESPN, NFL Network, Warner Bros/Discovery, Paramount/Global, Time Warner... all are facing declining revenues, and have been trimming staff.

Of course, streaming is also largely unprofitable, so nobody's got a good handle on the best path towards financial sustainability. NESN has little choice but to take a conservative approach.
I cut the cable way back in 2012. You people all need to go back to cable so I can enjoy my streaming free stuff again like I used to :mad:

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Regarding McDonough I would be surprised if he's your next PXP man. And here are a few reasons why:

1.) At ESPN every one of their NHL PXP people do not do a local team regularly. McDonough, Wischusen, Levy, Monaco, Buccigross, etc. Not sure why McDonough would break the mold if he's expected to continue to be not only one of ESPN's NHL voices, but their lead guy.

2.) During the NHL season Sean only does maybe one or two NHL games during the college football season. That's usually opening night and then the Black Friday game. He starts ramping up after the new year. If he were to take the Bruins TV job he's looking at a very busy fall. I don't know if at his age he wants to be that busy.

3.) If he were to take the job and keep his ESPN CFB job as their #2 PXP man, then that will force him to skip some Bruins games. Who will fill in for him? I guess Faust if he doesn't find full time employment elsewhere. Does NESN even want to have to find a replacement when Sean has national commitments? Jack Edwards, during years of good health, didn't ever have to take games off to my knowledge for national gigs.

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Regarding McDonough I would be surprised if he's your next PXP man. And here are a few reasons why:

1.) At ESPN every one of their NHL PXP people do not do a local team regularly. McDonough, Wischusen, Levy, Monaco, Buccigross, etc. Not sure why McDonough would break the mold if he's expected to continue to be not only one of ESPN's NHL voices, but their lead guy.

2.) During the NHL season Sean only does maybe one or two NHL games during the college football season. That's usually opening night and then the Black Friday game. He starts ramping up after the new year. If he were to take the Bruins TV job he's looking at a very busy fall. I don't know if at his age he wants to be that busy.

3.) If he were to take the job and keep his ESPN CFB job as their #2 PXP man, then that will force him to skip some Bruins games. Who will fill in for him? I guess Faust if he doesn't find full time employment elsewhere. Does NESN even want to have to find a replacement when Sean has national commitments? Jack Edwards, during years of good health, didn't ever have to take games off to my knowledge for national gigs.
1) Wischusen is the PXP for the New York Jets, so he does do a local team, just not in the NHL (and with a lighter schedule). Buccigross does have a regular gig (SportsCenter) in addition to his hockey work. It is not uncommon for network broadcasters to also work for a local team - Doc Emrick did it for years with the Devils, Eddie Olczyk went to Seattle after leaving the Blackhawks, et al. Buccigross has a regular gig (SportsCenter). Most of the TNT stable (a lot of which came from NBC) does local gigs (Albert - NYR/Knicks, Burke-NYI/Yankees, Forslund-Seattle, Olczyk-Seattle, Pang-Chicago).

2) That's not uncommon for any national broadcast. The schedule is usually pretty light until the end of football season. ESPN's schedule is a bit heavier, but they have enough bodies that McDonough wouldn't have to juggle too much.

3) If you do hire someone who splits with national games, you have to understand they'll only be doing about 55-60 games due to network commits, so you'll have to have a backup to fill in for those other games, who could be Faust, Monaco or someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad