NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sirott is great in everything except for his goal call. He just yells HE SCOOOOOOOOOOORES. If he toned that down, he'd be good. Beersy is one of the best in the business and I'm surprised he's been stuck on radio for 25 years.

Yep, soccer style "He SCOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEESSSS" calls have no place in hockey. Let the wretched Habs have their soccer inspired chants, diving, and other boring kickball sport traditions. We are better than that.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Dave Shea would say "Shot.... and A... Score? Score!" because he never had any idea what was going on.

But we was a very nice guy. I had about 6 months when I wanted to go into broadcasting and emailed him and he sent a nice, very detailed reply. I think I got his email from his defunct hockey magazine.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Coming soon: Be a Bruin 2, Announcer Edition. 36 contestants will compete in a grueling series of challenges at Hockeytown in Saugus for their shot to Be a Bruin, Mondays at 8 on NESN Plus after Charlie Moore.
1717610950825.jpeg

Attachments

• 1717610550249.jpeg
    1717610550249.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 1

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I think John Forslund would be a solid choice, but it was announced that he would be staying in Seattle.

I stand corrected. I completely missed that.

Well, if we can't have Goucher or Forslund, I'll throw out another name.

What about Celtics radio voice Sean Grande? He's got experience calling games on TV and calling hockey games ... he's well-known to local fans ... and Bruins' television has GOT to pay better than Celtics radio.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Yup. Werner cheaper out. f***en clown. They have so many guys on the Red Sox payroll and they can’t pay for two guys to call a good game. I also blame Bruins ownership. Have some balls and push your narrative on who you want.
Let me make sure I am correct here, you want Jeremy Jacobs to agree to spend more than he has to? Will better play by play and color announcers help Beer and hot dog sales? Bruins narrative would be "who's cheapest?"

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The way Jacobs and Henry operate, I fully expect them to see fans are excited about an announcer coming home, but get the bargain bin version and rehire Dave Shea

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I have colleagues who are currently the voices of the Hartford Wolf Pack and Maine Mariners. They both do a great job. I've met dozens of broadcasters over the years and I've really enjoyed making many of their acquaintances. However, I have also encountered many who, let's just say, inspired me to try to elevate myself. I've always had a chip on my shoulder, me-against-the-world kind of mentality because I know and have experienced how competitive it is. I was extremely lucky to have walked into the Nelson Center in Springfield, Illinois in 2013 on a night when the North American Hockey League's Junior Blues were playing at home and needed someone to call the game. It's hard to gain experience to meet your goals when you don't have experience. You have to find a break somewhere. and as I said in a previous post, the Internet opened up a lot of doors for people like me. There are so many more sportscasting opportunities out there now than was the case in the past.
My brother's biggest challenge at the beginning was getting the experience also. For five years after college, he would spend his weekends driving to Providence, Worcester, Springfield, you name it in the New England region. He'd buy a ticket, so sit apart from everyone in the nosebleeds, and broadcast into a recorder. Just when he was about to give up, he got a suggestion to try sending tapes to the US Junior Hockey League. He gets a call from Billings, Montana saying that they are only going to pay for his flight and hotel if he is serious about moving out there to work for the team (Billings Bulls). After one weekend of interviews and drinking, he got his first job.

Ten years into his career, while he was in Cedar Rapids, he got a call from Eddie Olczyk, who owned a minor league team, telling him he liked his stuff, but his team didn't have any openings. He told him he could use him as a reference. And the rest was history. The Olzcyk reference got him to the front of the line in Quad City and the ECHL.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
My brother's biggest challenge at the beginning was getting the experience also. For five years after college, he would spend his weekends driving to Providence, Worcester, Springfield, you name it in the New England region. He'd buy a ticket, so sit apart from everyone in the nosebleeds, and broadcast into a recorder. Just when he was about to give up, he got a suggestion to try sending tapes to the US Junior Hockey League. He gets a call from Billings, Montana saying that they are only going to pay for his flight and hotel if he is serious about moving out there to work for the team (Billings Bulls). After one weekend of interviews and drinking, he got his first job.

Ten years into his career, while he was in Cedar Rapids, he got a call from Eddie Olczyk, who owned a minor league team, telling him he liked his stuff, but his team didn't have any openings. He told him he could use him as a reference. And the rest was history. The Olzcyk reference got him to the front of the line in Quad City and the ECHL.
great story! the night of my first game in Springfield, I also had a tape recorder in hand, prepared to do the same thing, but I lucked out and got on the air.

the head coach of one of my current teams, the Seahawks, Bill Zaniboni (why yes that does sound like Zamboni) was the head coach of the Bozeman Ice Dogs in 11-12. The NA3HL has long-maintained a stable of teams in Montana, including Bozeman. I left Havre just before they got a team in the league, no-longer active. Montana is a beautiful state but very very cold. In my time there, I got to see a Calgary Flames game, the only time I've ever been to Canada! vs the Canucks in Game 82. The Saddledome is neat. Vancouver won 3-2 in OT. I was pretty inebriated by the end of it, but I definitely remember Flames fans being pissed about the conclusion. But at least they didn't... ahem... riot. I wore my retro Winnipeg Jets jersey, which got me some convos with other fans about the impending return of the team.

As we know the Bruins beat the Canucks in the Cup a few months later. Vancouver fans did NOT take that well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone ask Sean McDonough to finish his career here?

Other than that, they could sign on the Providence Bruins pbp guy to bully the fans if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad