NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Here’s the thing about broadcasting at the pro level.

You can do all your homework, be knowledgeable, have zero issues keeping up with the play and calling it accurately. But at the end of the day you need the voice for it.

And unfortunately for the most part that’s just something you’re either born with or you’re not.

I think you’ve got a voice that tops out at ECHL. And personally I’m not a fan of the Randy Moller style of play by play goal calls.

As a Bruins fan I would not want to listen to you on NESN 82+ games a year.

That’s just my opinion.
That's why no matter how knowledgeable Leah Hextall or Emily Kaplan may be, it just will never work. Sonically it's just nails on a chalkboard. No one wants to say anything though because they don't want to look misogynistic for saying so (though some do because they are and don't care who knows it).

Oddly I've never really had a problem with Jessica Mendoza doing baseball, but her voice is fuller and baseball is a different pace than hockey. But she has the opposite problem where the voice is fine but the content lacks, she brings nothing analytically.

Babajingo

That's why no matter how knowledgeable Leah Hextall or Emily Kaplan may be, it just will never work. Sonically it's just nails on a chalkboard. No one wants to say anything though because they don't want to look misogynistic for saying so (though some do because they are and don't care who knows it).

Oddly I've never really had a problem with Jessica Mendoza doing baseball, but her voice is fuller and baseball is a different pace than hockey. But she has the opposite problem where the voice is fine but the content lacks, she brings nothing analytically.
I don't mind Emily's voice.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Leah Hextall is awful, like god awful. I can think of a million sounds I'd rather listen to, one of which is a buzzing mosquito as you're trying to sleep. If that makes me a dick, then I'm Johnny Sins.

Emily isn't too bad, though. There's been a few women that have been damn good, though. I just can't remember their names. I actually really liked when they had the women announce the goal scorers during one of the Bruins games this year (I think it was this year) - I thought it was great.

Reactions: Dr Hook and Gordoff

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA

"NESN and the Bruins have reached out to Dave Goucher, who is very familiar to Bruins fans. He called their games on the radio from 2000-17 before he was hired as the TV play-by-play voice for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, where he calls games with former Bruins defenseman Shane Hnidy ... Goucher enjoys his job in Las Vegas, but he and his wife are New Englanders who still spend their summers in Rhode Island. He would be the ideal choice, and hopefully the Bruins and NESN will make him an offer worthy of his talents."

"According to one potential candidate, NESN is putting together a group of prospective play-by-play voices to audition at its Watertown studios. The job is being pursued not only by local play-by-play voices, but ones with established national backgrounds. It is a coveted opening."

"Alex Faust, the Northeastern grad and former Los Angeles Kings announcer, was presumed to have the inside track after the season ... He did fine work in the substitute role, but it’s uncertain whether NESN considers him one of the leading candidates. He does not have an audition lined up, but perhaps his work during the season gives him a credit for that."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Everything I have heard for 2 months is Goucher is the target.

The NY Rangers are also looking at Alex Faust as Sam Rosen is 76 years old and missed a couple of playoff games because of health.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/sam...rs-health-scare-stanley-cup-playoffs.htmlthen go home and

Goucher enjoys that he can easily drive to the arena for the morning skate and then return home and drive back for the game. That is not an option in Boston.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Everything I have heard for 2 months is Goucher is the target.

The NY Rangers are also looking at Alex Faust as Sam Rosen is 76 years old and missed a couple of playoff games because of health.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/sam...rs-health-scare-stanley-cup-playoffs.htmlthen go home and

Goucher enjoys that he can easily drive to the arena for the morning skate and then return home and drive back for the game. That is not an option in Boston.
Do you think the lure of the job might bring him back?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Do you think the lure of the job might bring him back?
Golden Knights TV is also shaky since their RSN collapsed last year. They cobbled up an over-the-air network last season that included Salt Lake City but of course, that is now gone.

1717279495038.png

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

"NESN and the Bruins have reached out to Dave Goucher, who is very familiar to Bruins fans. He called their games on the radio from 2000-17 before he was hired as the TV play-by-play voice for the expansion Vegas Golden Knights, where he calls games with former Bruins defenseman Shane Hnidy ... Goucher enjoys his job in Las Vegas, but he and his wife are New Englanders who still spend their summers in Rhode Island. He would be the ideal choice, and hopefully the Bruins and NESN will make him an offer worthy of his talents."

"According to one potential candidate, NESN is putting together a group of prospective play-by-play voices to audition at its Watertown studios. The job is being pursued not only by local play-by-play voices, but ones with established national backgrounds. It is a coveted opening."

"Alex Faust, the Northeastern grad and former Los Angeles Kings announcer, was presumed to have the inside track after the season ... He did fine work in the substitute role, but it’s uncertain whether NESN considers him one of the leading candidates. He does not have an audition lined up, but perhaps his work during the season gives him a credit for that."

No to Faust. Dreary golf/baseball voice.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Here’s the thing about broadcasting at the pro level.

You can do all your homework, be knowledgeable, have zero issues keeping up with the play and calling it accurately. But at the end of the day you need the voice for it.

And unfortunately for the most part that’s just something you’re either born with or you’re not.

I think you’ve got a voice that tops out at ECHL. And personally I’m not a fan of the Randy Moller style of play by play goal calls.

As a Bruins fan I would not want to listen to you on NESN 82+ games a year.

That’s just my opinion.
I appreciate your honesty.

As I've told people many times, I'd be very happy to be right at the level I am currently for the rest of my career. The parents, coaches and players of junior hockey are a wonderful community that I very much enjoy being a part of, especially the Seahawks Hockey Club on Cape Cod and the Islanders HC in Greater Boston.

The Internet opened up a whole new level of hockey to broadcasting and I have been taking advantage of it for the last decade. I don't go out looking for promotions, and if no pro team ever reached out to me, then so be it. But this position became available and, as a local person who has loved living in New England (Pawtucket) every second I've been here, I cannot simply sit on the sidelines.

And I must stress that if I got this, people like you are the ones I'd be thinking about. I want this to be enjoyable for everyone. You can't always make everyone happy, but I'd try. I save the goofy Moller stuff for big moments. I don't know if he used lines for every single goal call, but it seemed like it. Mike Emrick and Mike Lange are my other two major influences. I grew up with Doc during what I think was his prime in the 90s on FOX. I'm pretty sure I straight-up copied some Lange calls during my broadcasting in college. Scratch my back with a rusty hacksaw?

-Jim

Last edited:

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I appreciate your honesty.

As I've told people many times, I'd be very happy to be right at the level I am currently for the rest of my career. The parents, coaches and players of junior hockey are a wonderful community that I very much enjoy being a part of, especially the Seahawks Hockey Club on Cape Cod and the Islanders HC in Greater Boston.

The Internet opened up a whole new level of hockey to broadcasting and I have been taking advantage of it for the last decade. I don't go out looking for promotions, and if no pro team ever reached out to me, then so be it. But this position became available and, as a local person who has loved living in New England (Pawtucket) every second I've been here, I cannot simply sit on the sidelines.

And I must stress that if I got this, people like you are the ones I'd be thinking about. I want this to be enjoyable for everyone. You can't always make everyone happy, but I'd try. I save the goofy Moller stuff for big moments. I don't know if he used lines for every single goal call, but it seemed like it. Mike Emrick and Mike Lange are my other two major influences. I grew up with Doc during what I think was his prime in the 90s on FOX. I'm pretty sure I straight-up copied some Lange calls during my broadcasting in college. Scratch my back with a rusty hacksaw?

-Jim
Very nice post.

During the big dish days, Mike Lange would spend the entire commercial breaks cursing up a storm. He did have some great sayings, however, which I enjoyed. "He beat him like a rented mule," was my favorite, followed by, "He put it top shelf where gamma keeps the gluten-free cookies."

Emrick was great on the big dish, talking to the "satellite club" during the breaks. Never a fan of his style of call, however, but I do understand that he's a great guy and beloved throughout the league. Lastly, I will never forgive Olczyk, Emrick, and Anson Carter for their spinelessness over the no-call on the slewfoot on Accari in Game 5, 2019.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
I just want to add this P.S., the biggest reason I started saying ridiculous things on the air, besides the aforementioned influence of Randy Moller, Mike Lange, hell I'll tell you Jack Edwards a bit too (this is my favorite call of his: ) and also 1990s SportsCenter (Stuart Scott, Kenny Mayne) is because I think the NHL has a crop of pxp announcers around my age (turning 40 in August) who have gotten really corporate and bland. This was a response to that.
And also, it's only really come into the picture in the last few years because I have gotten that comfortable with play-by-play. Calling 100-200 games each season will do that. I used to be straight-laced. I thought I could do better. I started writing stuff down. Every time my wife and I watch a movie or a show, or if I hear a song lyric I think no one has used before, every time I see a funny meme, every time I'm with friends and family and I hear something good, I write it down. I could get REAL advanced with things if I had the extra free time I suspect I'd have with Boston. Recently I rediscovered the local public library. I want to bring the personal party- and make no mistake, it's a party that's been going on at the rink when I'm there- to this organization.

Attached below is a very nice Twitter comment I got this season, and there's plenty more where that came from.

Re: Emrick, really the biggest influence I draw from him is my goal call. this is the first game I ever went to (number one memory with my Dad too) and I must have listened to the highlights about 2,000 times on my cassette tape: (). Emrick's call got longer as he went on, but it used to be short and more terse. Gary Thorne was a big imprint on me, too.

(PleasenooneaskmewhichteamIrootforpleasssedont)

Very nice post.

During the big dish days, Mike Lange would spend the entire commercial breaks cursing up a storm. He did have some great sayings, however, which I enjoyed. "He beat him like a rented mule," was my favorite, followed by, "He put it top shelf where gamma keeps the gluten-free cookies."

Emrick was great on the big dish, talking to the "satellite club" during the breaks. Never a fan of his style of call, however, but I do understand that he's a great guy and beloved throughout the league. Lastly, I will never forgive Olczyk, Emrick, and Anson Carter for their spinelessness over the no-call on the slewfoot on Accari in Game 5, 2019.
you're right, that slewfoot on Acciari was blatant and I would have called attention to the controversial nature of the goal immediately.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-03 2.51.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-03 2.51.39 PM.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad