NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Mexican League soccer is AWESOME. I have absolutely been inspired by the dramatic flare the announcers on TUDN put on the game. It's not hard when the crowds are that raucous. if you don't like soccer, than it's moot I guess.

If I can give any advice on what an old school hockey fanatic wants in a PxP guy, it is this: The game is the star. You are not the star. The game comes first, second, and every place else except last. You are last. This isn't baseball or soccer, where long minutes go by without anything significant happening, so you can laugh about a piece of pizza. If you go on a tangent in hockey, you are missing some action. If that happens, you aren't doing your job, and the number one responsibility is to do your job.

The other thing is, the game is exciting enough, no need to manufacture it. There's no reason to treat a goal in a 7-2 blowout in January the same as a OT goal to win the Cup in June, which is what Sirott does. Holding a goal call for longer than one beat if it isn't the playoffs and a close game is Mickey Mouse.

Last edited:

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Did Goucher flat out say the money was a factor? So many people here claiming NESN doesn't want to pay guys, but it may just be he likes living in Vegas?

Ignoring that the American southwest in completely unsustainable in the long run, you can get a lot of bang for your buck out there; Far more than you can in the Northeast. My folks moved from Boston to Phoenix 11 years ago and they would never dream of moving back.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Did Goucher flat out say the money was a factor? So many people here claiming NESN doesn't want to pay guys, but it may just be he likes living in Vegas?

Ignoring that the American southwest in completely unsustainable in the long run, you can get a lot of bang for your buck out there; Far more than you can in the Northeast. My folks moved from Boston to Phoenix 11 years ago and they would never dream of moving back.
Why would he aggressively go after the job in the first place then after tryouts and negotiation suddenly go back to Vegas and state on record he likes living there and will be staying?

Reactions: Gordoff

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
If I can give any advice on what an old school hockey fanatic wants in a PxP guy, it is this: The game is the star. You are not the star. The game comes first, second, and every place else except last. You are last. This isn't baseball or soccer, where long minutes go by without anything significant happening, so you can laugh about a piece of pizza. If you go on a tangent in hockey, you are missing some action. If that happens, you aren't doing your job, and the number one responsibility is to do your job.

The other thing is, the game is exciting enough, no need to manufacture it. There's no reason to treat a goal in a 7-2 blowout in January the same as a OT goal to win the Cup in June, which is what Sirott does. Holding a goal call for longer than one beat if it isn't the playoffs and a close game is Mickey Mouse.
LMAO you mean like "Here comes the pizza"? I love that clip

I appreciate that advice and I would say it's how I operate. I have broadcast many games where nothing happens that's going to make the SC Top 10. I don't try to inflate things, and in fact I'll be blunt and tell the audience that "things are getting quiet". but it's hockey and every game is a book to be read cover to cover. We don't end games in ties anymore, so I always know in the back of my mind, someone's going to win this thing, we're going to have an exciting moment before the contest ends. And since I've been on the air this whole time without any color, I have gotten really good at doing both. So yeah, I definitely respect that people are not tuning in just to hear me talk. My focus is always razor-sharp and I deliver as much information about what's going on as possible.

It hasn't always been perfect, but I am a pull-by-own-bootstraps kind of person, always have been. And with more time to dedicate and a whole staff to help me, I'm excited about the possibilities that would exist if the Bruins bring me on.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Just feels like it's a tired narrative at this point. The Bs have paid for a state of the art practice facility, a ton of upgrades to TD Garden, and are always up against the cap. It's not 2004 anymore.
For what it's worth, I'm not saying the Bruins deserve blame here.

I think the Bruins have input as to who the new play-by-play guy will be, but I still think it's a NESN decision. NESN will sign the new guy's paycheck. His salary will come out of NESN's bank account.

And let's face it... when you watch telecasts from around the league, NESN is often weak in several key areas. There are huge differences between a NESN telecast and an MSG Network telecast, for example.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
you're gonna have to fill the radio spot if Judd goes to TV, right? or do you want it simulcast? FWIW I think radio pxp is the better opportunity of the two. I know everyone loved seeing Dave move to TV. but remember, if you're radio, that means you get to actually announce the team winning the Stanley Cup if it happens.

if it's the simulcast, then that's that! I think Judd has done a great job since taking over for Dave. Again just my personal opinion. He's been an AHL-NHL voice now for nearly two decades. possible props to him if that's the route taken. I did not apply for the Bruins radio pxp in 2017 because I did not think I had nearly enough experience.

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
you're gonna have to fill the radio spot if Judd goes to TV, right? or do you want it simulcast? FWIW I think radio pxp is the better opportunity of the two. I know everyone loved seeing Dave move to TV. but remember, if you're radio, that means you get to actually announce the team winning the Stanley Cup if it happens.

Hard no on simulcast. Radio and TV require a totally different approach.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
you do realize that minor league hockey isn't telecast or simulcast and hasn't been for decades...... even commercial radio hasn't seen the bump as most teams now go satellite radio services such as Mixlr to broadcast radio pxp (which includes Portland)

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Just to refresh everyone on what I offer:

2024 demo
'22
'21
'20
'19

If any of you like what you are hearing in these videos, consider this an Ask Me Anything. I'd be happy to share what inspired me to say any particular thing on the air. you should all know that I rarely ever have repeated any of these lines. Catchphrases are not my thing, except for at the end of the game, I do have a fun thing I say for my teams when they win. For the Islanders Hockey Club, the phrase is "Sound the Siren, Get in the Dubs Limo", which perhaps some of you will recognize (Image below) as graffiti on the overpass of Route 128 right before arriving at the intersection with the Mass Pike.

1717694529710.png

Bio: 39 years old, married for 12 years, first baby coming, live in Pawtucket down the street from McCoy Stadium. Roman Catholic High School Philadelphia Class of 2002, 4th line on the JVB hockey team. King's College, Wilkes-Barre PA, Class of '06. I'm a 13-year news radio veteran in Illinois and New England. Along the way, I've had various opportunities to broadcast local sports. I was raised to work as hard as I can at the things I do. Circa 2010, although I had not done any hockey broadcasting, I had a "critical juncture moment" in my life and decided to pursue a hockey broadcasting career as aggressively as possible. Since then it has been an unbelievable ride. I can't describe to you what kind of drug it is for me when I call a game. And it's a theater curtain going up. I wear ALL the flair pins. I have driven 100s of thousands of miles across dozens of New England rinks since 2016. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Having lived through the 80s and 90s Bruins teams that were always “adequate” and came up short, I would agree that they’ve taken the cheaper option more times than I’d have liked. That said, is it possible that they did make a competitive offer and he just chose to stay in Vegas? He is on record as saying that he enjoys living there.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
you do realize that minor league hockey isn't telecast or simulcast and hasn't been for decades...... even commercial radio hasn't seen the bump as most teams now go satellite radio services such as Mixlr to broadcast radio pxp (which includes Portland)
When Faust and the L.A. Kings split, they put their radio pxp on TV and that's now a simulcast. I don't know if any other NHL teams are doing that.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Hard no on simulcast. Radio and TV require a totally different approach.
I'm with you! I have an advanced geographical puck locating system that allows people to watch a game on the video platform I've been on, previously called HockeyTV but now FloSports, but they can just listen too if they want.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
When Faust and the L.A. Kings split, they put their radio pxp on TV and that's now a simulcast. I don't know if any other NHL teams are doing that.
consolidation.... isn't the same thing and nobody knew 9-10 months ago.... that Edwards was retiring after 19 years..... nor that Goucher was leaving for Vegas until that franchise was awarded..... the days of hockey on radio are slowly ending, if not gone, because it's like a format change in terrestrial radio

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
consolidation.... isn't the same thing and nobody knew 9-10 months ago.... that Edwards was retiring after 19 years..... nor that Goucher was leaving for Vegas until that franchise was awarded..... the days of hockey on radio are slowly ending, if not gone, because it's like a format change in terrestrial radio
I think technology has to improve a long way before radio gets shut out of being a separate sportscasting medium. Watching a game on your phone while driving somewhere isn't always optimal. Think of anyone on the road who wants to consume the game, who would not be able to without radio broadcasts. We are a nation of motorists!

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
not really, the AHL never had a national contract which is why it's rare to see AHL games broadcast locally.... nevermind hockey..... it's not like the contract NESN Has w/ Worcester...... which is now not even owned nor operated by FSG.... Diamond Baseball Holdings now owns both Portland/Worcester and Providence has been privately owned since their arrival there 22 years ago... blame rests w/ Renfroe for cutting the Providence contract w/ NESN and the media coverage.... even after the transfer of the Whalers
I watch through AHLtv....the Grand Rapids Griffins have an awesome radio/video production....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad