NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Well, it looks like Goucher and Hnidy are Not negotiating with NESN for next season, so can the title of the thread be changed to reflect that?

Reactions: BMC

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I watch through AHLtv....the Grand Rapids Griffins have an awesome radio/video production....
subjective.... but not all teams broadcast like a Hershey or a Kansas City does..... and AHL TV isn't that great when you see Flo Sports whether it's the Race version or the hockey version.... would Hershey be broadcasting games if they weren't the Capitals affiliate and Monumental Sports simulcasts

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Lol I really don’t get why people like Kenny Albert. There is not an ounce of personality in his call.

Yes, his “voice” is okay. But at least make me believe you are genuinely excited about whatever is happening on the ice.

Goucher would have been great, but NESN is cheap, eh? Would have never guessed :sarcasm:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Lol I really don’t get why people like Kenny Albert. There is not an ounce of personality in his call.

Yes, his “voice” is okay. But at least make me believe you are genuinely excited about whatever is happening on the ice.

Goucher would have been great, but NESN is cheap, eh? Would have never guessed :sarcasm:
remember, the qualified post at the start of the thread.....it was never a "done deal" it was a potential deal.....

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
remember, the qualified post at the start of the thread.....it was never a "done deal" it was a potential deal.....

Oh yeah, I know.

I think at the end of the day, NESN has probably gotten used to the benefit of having a guy doing PbP for the last 18 years that would likely do the job for free. Getting someone experienced and established has a cost as it should.

Don’t fault Goucher or Hnidy at all for deciding to stay put. If they and their families are happy out in Vegas, don’t risk it for the nostalgia play (that also pays less).

Reactions: BMC

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
It's a long off-season.
every off-season is! I'm just marveling at the activity. I'm really glad to see how passionate Bruins fans are about their team. Jack Edwards is a very tough act to follow. Personally, and this isn't just lip service, I think he's the best pxp in the team's history. Do you want someone who is capable of carrying on that torch? As the Internet developed, which in its infancy was when Jack started for Boston, for the first time we could really hear what fans of other teams think about things and OF COURSE they're not gonna like him, his homerism stuck out like a sore thumb. But as far as B's fans are concerned, how could you not love someone who bled the team colors and delivered such a passionate, non-cookie-cutter call? Jack's overall body of work is up there on some Top List of the NHL all-time greats, that'll become much more apparent in the future.

This speech alone should get in him in the NHL Hall of Fame

Last edited:

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
so what guys, I have absolutely no frame of reference for NHL broadcaster salaries, I've tried Googling in the past but there's a wide range of answers. is $100K a year too much to expect? As long as I can keep paying my mortgage!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
you do realize that minor league hockey isn't telecast or simulcast and hasn't been for decades...... even commercial radio hasn't seen the bump as most teams now go satellite radio services such as Mixlr to broadcast radio pxp (which includes Portland)

:huh:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This speech alone should get in him in the NHL Hall of Fame

No offense, but this is exactly the thing I was talking about when I gave my advice. This was Edwards taking an exciting game 7 overtime win against our greatest rival and making it all about him and his silly analogy. It fails on two levels. One, hockey is a game and should never be compared to things like fighting for freedom and independence, or any other significant historical event that cost actual lives. Let the Habs do their silly WWI poem reenactments, we should know when too far is too far. Two, it took something that needed no further hype, a game 7 series OT win over the Habs, and made it all about Jack's stupid story. Did he give credit to the team? Hell, did he even mention the players or coach once? No, it was nothing but his silly performance art.

Blech! At least back then he still tried to do actual play-by-play. I'm so glad he's gone.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
No offense, but this is exactly the thing I was talking about when I gave my advice. This was Edwards taking an exciting game 7 overtime win against our greatest rival and making it all about him and his silly analogy. It fails on two levels. One, hockey is a game and should never be compared to things like fighting for freedom and independence, or any other significant historical event that cost actual lives. Let the Habs do their silly WWI poem reenactments, we should know when too far is too far. Two, it took something that needed no further hype, a game 7 series OT win over the Habs, and made it all about Jack's stupid story. Did he give credit to the team? Hell, did he even mention the players or coach once? No, it was nothing but his silly performance art.

Blech! At least back then he still tried to do actual play-by-play. I'm so glad he's gone.
Not sure how the above is jack making it about himself.

Game was over, and he was giving an analogy after the fact.

This wasn't one of his in game soliloquries

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024

no offense taken. I respect your opinion. but like Jack, I'm definitely theatrical and, like he said, "who has more fun than us?" I definitely embrace that mantra.

I want to add here that, as this is a learning experience for me, I just got acclimated with Fred Cusick's calls on YouTube and yeah, what a voice! Having lived here for a while, I think I can accurately say he's got a quintessential New England accent in his pxp and I love it. His "Bobby Orr" goal calls are something I've definitely heard a lot over my life, without thinking about who it was because I didn't know at the time.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Not sure how the above is jack making it about himself.

Game was over, and he was giving an analogy after the fact.

This wasn't one of his in game soliloquries

Agree to disagree. He could have said something about the actual game, the players, or the history between the two teams themselves, instead we get a canned story comparing the Bruins to the Boston Tea Party and the Habs to the British.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
so what guys, I have absolutely no frame of reference for NHL broadcaster salaries, I've tried Googling in the past but there's a wide range of answers. is $100K a year too much to expect? As long as I can keep paying my mortgage!
I have to imagine it's quite a bit more. It should be at least.

jimmccabe40

May 3, 2024
Agree to disagree. He could have said something about the actual game, the players, or the history between the two teams themselves, instead we get a canned story comparing the Bruins to the Boston Tea Party and the Habs to the British.
the Bruins-Canadiens rivalry is one of the most famous sports rivalries that exists. My quick dive into Bruins history over the last month tells me everything I need to know about how the Bruins feel about Montreal. And I still remember how indignant Montreal fans were about the Chara hit on Pacioretty, definitely going to take the Bruins side on that one. The Habs were the established team when the B's were birthed. Jack is a New Englander who knew all about that rivalry and exploited it for entertainment purposes.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
they've had a competent broadcast crew for as long as they've been in Dallas. Ralph Strangis was a great voice, so was Dave Strader, may he rest in peace.
Ralph and Razor were an excellent team. I lived in the Dallas area for about 10 years and enjoyed watching their broadcasts. Listening was a different experience, though. They explained everything for the viewing audience, so there were a lot of plays when the listening audience was lost. I was surprised by the decision because Dallas was a new hockey audience. The Dallas Morning News published a double truck (two pages without ads) designed to introduce Texans to hockey (e.g. terms such as icing, offsides, blue line, red line, etc.). It was well done. The point is, that's how green the audience was to hockey.

Reactions: jimmccabe40

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
the Bruins-Canadiens rivalry is one of the most famous sports rivalries that exists. My quick dive into Bruins history over the last month tells me everything I need to know about how the Bruins feel about Montreal. And I still remember how indignant Montreal fans were about the Chara hit on Pacioretty, definitely going to take the Bruins side on that one. The Habs were the established team when the B's were birthed. Jack is a New Englander who knew all about that rivalry and exploited it for entertainment purposes.

I understand what you’re trying to do here. Have to respect the hustle.

That said, “a quick dive into bruins history” won’t give you one iota of the information you need to truly understand or feel how lifelong fans feel about that rivalry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad