Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I feel like Bret kind of forgets who he's angry at. Sometimes he's fine with said person, sometimes he just shits on them constantly.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Bret in the "Who killed WCW" documentary series was gold. No one was safe from being called an idiot, or a shit head.
That it being yet another ego battle between Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff actually made it worth watching. I'll never get tired of those two jackasses trying to "yes but" every mistake they made. Russo especially.

Bret was hilarious as well though. They'd have like a bit of actual insight from Nash, Medusa, or one of the many behind the scenes/executive folk they had on and then just cut to Bret with "yeah um, idk that Bischoff/Hogan/Goldberg guy was a dumb idiot shithead." With almost no context or reasoning. Amazing.

Though i think i kinda agree with people here, i think at the very least the goldberg shit is a bit.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I JUST posted an article I saw today of Hart crying about Vince

And I always disliked Brett. Dudes a big ass crybaby. Dude was BORING.
I'm not sure Bret was ever "cool" with Vince outside of the most superficial/business sensible way possible. This was long before this clip surfaced too.

If memory serves, the only reason Bret started to acknowledge WWE again in 2005 was because they threatened to do him dirty like they did with the Ultimate Warrior and release a hit piece type documentary and basically smear him. Hart, having the ego he has decided that wasn't going to fly so he came back to protect his legacy by doing the HOF induction in 2006 and signing a legends contract so he could start popping up in merch again.

So for once, this is probably how Bret always felt.

Reactions: sabremike

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
That doesn't mean he was "done wrong."

Bret wanted to just drop the belt. The most significant belt in the company and waltz on in to WCW live television like it was nothing. Of course Vince had to do what he did - Bret was being a stubborn prick and wouldn't play ball.
There is zero evidence that Bret wanted to take the belt to WCW. I dont think he was legally allowed to be on WCW TV until December, which was like 3-4 weeks after Survivor Series.

Why wasn't Bret on Nitro the night after Survivor Series.

HBK said he wouldn't put Bret over. So why would Bret put HBK over?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, according to Bret HBK "Thanked him" and then said "Just to let you know, I wouldn't be doing the same for you"

That's what set Bret off, I think.

Also, why the f*** would Shawn even say that? Just keep your mouth shut and the whole thing probably doesn't happen, lol. That said, Shawn was probably pilled to the gills.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, according to Bret HBK "Thanked him" and then said "Just to let you know, I wouldn't be doing the same for you"

That's what set Bret off, I think.

Also, why the f*** would Shawn even say that? Just keep your mouth shut and the whole thing probably doesn't happen, lol. That said, Shawn was probably pilled to the gills.
The anti-Bret people are the ones who think HBK was some great person.

Reactions: Voight

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Bret would've gladly dropped the belt to Taker but Vince insisted on it being Shawn.

from Vince's perspective, he didn't want Bischoff to air on live tv the results of the following night

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Bret would've gladly dropped the belt to Taker but Vince insisted on it being Shawn.

from Vince's perspective, he didn't want Bischoff to air on live tv the results of the following night
I mean, that didn't work out so good for them when they leaked Foley winning the title, haha.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't know if this is unpopular, but Bret Hart seems to have a really hard time letting things go.

I was on YT and came across this video:

Isn't he supposed to be on good terms with Michaels now? Or did something happen?

He seems to constantly run this guy down still. Like... I get that Shawn was a douchebag and unprofessional, but he's basically admitted he was an asshole and seems to have moved on. Sure, I've heard people say that the reborn Christian thing is basically an act or gimmick, but nonetheless I don't get the impression that he obsesses over things that happened over 25 years ago. He seems to have moved on with his life.

Hart was one of my favorite wrestlers and I still like watching his matches. I'm not saying he didn't have bad and unfortunate things happen to him, but he might be happier if he stopped hating on certain guys (Hogan, Goldberg, HHH) every chance he gets. Some of the things he says can be funny/entertaining, but the promo Michaels did on him in '97 where he calls him "Mark man" and says he obsesses over things comes to mind...

I'm not HBK's biggest fan mainly due to his attitude and how much of a prick he was before his first retirement (i.e. being a douche to Bret, basically trying to kill The Rock's career etc) but being a Born Again Christian is not an act at all. I believe he hosts a weekly or monthly Bible study group at his church and has been doing that for 20 something years now. It's not easy to pretend for that long.

Reactions: DitchMarner

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I'm not HBK's biggest fan mainly due to his attitude and how much of a prick he was before his first retirement (i.e. being a douche to Bret, basically trying to kill The Rock's career etc) but being a Born Again Christian is not an act at all. I believe he hosts a weekly or monthly Bible study group at his church and has been doing that for 20 something years now. It's not easy to pretend for that long.
The man is just dedicated to the gimmick.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Is it that hard? It is a pretty good grift. Look at Ted Dibiase or to the countless ridiculous preachers asking for donations.

Not saying HBK is not sincere, just that he would not be the first to use religion as a con.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On the topic of Bret, over been watching Reliving the War and I'll just say it, Bret's WCW booking wasn't nearly as bad as he and others make it out to be.

First, as a matter of timing, he came in while Hogan and Sting are in the height of their program, and he wasn't going to disrupt it. Nick Patrick and Hogan botched the Starrcade finish that temporarily made him look dumb, but I think everyone was over that by the next night and it didn't have any impact on his run. His angle where he was an associate of Hogan and the nWo without being a full member was good, and it points toward an eventual payoff with Hart turning on Hogan and winning the title from him as a face, but in the midst of that Bill Goldberg had a meteoric rise in popularity and Bischoff pivoted on the title picture (which is a whole other conversation). Hart then went into a good US title run and a program with Sting that should've been really good if Sting wasn't hurt.

In the end I think the booking was fine but he was a victim of circumstances. WCW had so much going on in 1998 that it was hard for anyone to disrupt what was happening - there wasn't a lot of room to get to the top of the card when Hogan and Sting were paying off a two year long angle, you had Macho Man carrying another nwo split narrative, and then Bill Goldberg getting massively over (more over than Hart or any other alternative at that point).

Bret acts like Bischoff sent him out to look like an idiot and a jobber every week, but he had some good storylines, good promos, and great matches during 1998, including a US Title run - which is really throwing him a bone after Bill Goldberg leapfrogged him and everyone when he got the WCW title. Wouldn't ever say WCW booking was perfect at this point and time, but it wasn't as bad as he claims.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Same here, and as time passes it seems that very few people in the wrestling business were actually "good" people, almost everyone was an asshole at least to some degree
Not from that era. IMO the moment Vince decided to let Bret go, he needed to get the belt off Bret within 2 weeks max. Not let it get to SUrvivor series on the last possible day. Just too much risk. And Bret should have also been looking to drop the belt asap as well. He wasn’t going to walk out of wwe as the champ. But they let their egos and feelings get in the way.

Bret came from WWE and it was run a certain way but it was completely different at WCW. Way too much control by the wrestlers. He was out of place there.

With Goldberg I get Bret being angry at him. Given the kind of pro Bret was he was done in by someone who didn’t love the business and didn’t care about protecting his opponents the way Bret did. And Goldberg never improved and put others at risk as well.

With clips it’s hard to know when they were actually filmed. Just because something was posted in 2024 doesn’t mean the comment was in 2024. Could have been from years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad