UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Mark Rassell moves from Idaho (ECHL) to HC Innsbruck (ICEHL).
Hmm. There has been a ton of AUSers heading to Europe this season. Rassell did get a couple of call-ups to the AHL last season, but maybe that wasn't in the cards this year.

It is an interesting situation that when USports players turn pro, they are "rookies" who are way older than the kids coming direct from Junior. Some teams embrace this (Ft. Wayne, etc.) for their leadership and experience. But once they stop being rookies there are only a few slots on ECHL teams for "veterans", so many end up moving on.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Hmm. There has been a ton of AUSers heading to Europe this season. Rassell did get a couple of call-ups to the AHL last season, but maybe that wasn't in the cards this year.

It is an interesting situation that when USports players turn pro, they are "rookies" who are way older than the kids coming direct from Junior. Some teams embrace this (Ft. Wayne, etc.) for their leadership and experience. But once they stop being rookies there are only a few slots on ECHL teams for "veterans", so many end up moving on.
Yup, the Coast is a development league.

Fan of the Vreds

Mar 27, 2008
Fredericton
With the confirmation of several recruits, it's a good time to look at how the 2024/2025 roster currently looks:

GONE (1 G + 2 D + 4 F)
G - Griffen Outhouse
D - Kade Landry
D - Patty Kyte
F - Austen Keating
F - Brady Gilmour
F - Jason Willms
F - Isaac Nurse

ELIGIBLE TO RETURN (2 G + 6 D + 10 F)
G - Samuel Richard
G - Tanner Somers
D - Adam McCormick
D - Kale McCallum
D - Colton Kammerer
D - Justin Nolet
D - Sam McGinley
D - Nicolas Savoie
F - Benjamin Corbeil
F - Cody Morgan
F - Macauley Carson
F - Nick Blagden
F - Camaryn Baber
F - Emmett Sproule
F - Cole MacKay
F - Michael Petizian
F - Sean McGurn
F - Sam King

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 D + 3 F)
D - Oscar Plandowski
F - Jax Dubois
F - Drew Elliot
F - Peter Reynolds

- If everyone returns who is eligible (16 skaters) + the 4 announced recruits so far they are at 20 skaters....room to add four more skaters. As usual, have to assume they will leave a spot or two for Christmas so I see them adding, at most, three more skaters this summer.
- Very curious how the goaltending situation is going to play out. I thought I had heard Somers was done as well, so they may be looking for two guys. Was really hoping they could land one of the top CHL guys to backup Richard for a year before moving into the starting role the following season but, as mentioned, the pickings are pretty slim from the CHL overage group now. Perhaps they look at a former pro ala LaCosta/Marcoux/Shantz/Carrozzi to bridge the gap for a couple years.
- If they begin the the season with those seven guys on defence I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever as it's still arguably the best group in the country. Certainly wouldn't hate adding another guy before the season starts as insurance in case injuries strike. I heard McCormick was looking at options overseas so losing him at this point in the summer would be tough. I'd like to see Nolet get regular playing time as he always seems to produce when he is in there. I know MacDougall was very high on McGinley so hopefully he takes that next step this season.
- Although I think the three forwards announced are suitable replacements for Gilmour/Willms/Nurse, I would feel a lot better about the group if they are somehow able to land that 30 goal/70+ point guy that can slot right into a top-6 role to help offset the loss of Keating. From what I can tell there are about 15 overagers who had over 70 points last season that haven't signed/committed to anyone for next season (but only 8 of them are from the Q/OHL). If not, they will have to rely on the returning guys to step up and take on a bigger role. Carson is one player in particular who I think could play himself into a bigger role. I thought it was said Sproule was having shoulder surgery after the last season...is he expected to be fully healthy for the beginning of the season? If he stays healthy for the whole season he is probably one of their top scorers, but I'm not sure how much you can rely on him having an injury-free season.

Rumour is they have a 6’4 dman that played in the OHL and a high scoring forward who also played in the OHL scoring 80 pts last year and 67 pts the year before… The goalie situation is concerning…

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
Rumour is they have a 6’4 dman that played in the OHL and a high scoring forward who also played in the OHL scoring 80 pts last year and 67 pts the year before… The goalie situation is concerning…
I suspect that would be Flint Firebirds teammates Oliver Peer- RW (37G & 43A) and dman Roberto Mancini (6'4). Peer can fly and is one of the fastest skaters in the league.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I suspect that would be Flint Firebirds teammates Oliver Peer- RW (37G & 43A) and dman Roberto Mancini (6'4). Peer can fly and is one of the fastest skaters in the league.
Those are the two names I assumed as well.

Those two + Huckins would be a very nice recruiting class. Just need to figure out the goaltending situation...

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
McCormick signed AHL deal with Rockford
Just looked on their site and it says "1 year AHL contract". No mention of 2-way AHL/ECHL, so that's solid.

From GM Mark Bernard:

"Adam comes to us after an undefeated season at UNB capped off by winning the Canadian University Championship," said Bernard. "He's a very skilled player who is an excellent skater that can play a fast game. He's another player who has a winning pedigree that will be fun to watch this season as he develops and gets used to the pro game."

McCormick, 24, posted 41 points (8G, 33A) in 28 games with the University of New Brunswick to rank second on the team in scoring amongst defensemen and fourth in scoring overall. The blueliner helped lead UNB to a perfect season in 2023-24 and the school's second consecutive USports University Cup Championship. McCormick was named an Atlantic University Sport Second All-Star Team selection in 2021-22, 2022-23, and 2023-24. Prior to his three years at UNB, McCormick played five seasons in the QMJHL and won the Kevin Lowe Trophy as a member of the Cape Breton Eagles as the league's best defensive defenseman in 2019-20 while also earning QMJHL Second All-Star Team honors. McCormick totaled 152 points (29G, 123A) in 262 QMJHL games and 77 points (17G, 60A) in 78 USports contests.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UPDATED:

GONE (1 G + 3 D + 4 F)
G - Griffen Outhouse
D - Kade Landry
D - Adam McCormick
D - Patty Kyte
F - Austen Keating
F - Brady Gilmour
F - Jason Willms
F - Isaac Nurse

ELIGIBLE TO RETURN (2 G + 5 D + 10 F)
G - Samuel Richard
G - Tanner Somers
D - Kale McCallum
D - Colton Kammerer
D - Justin Nolet
D - Sam McGinley
D - Nicolas Savoie
F - Benjamin Corbeil
F - Cody Morgan
F - Macauley Carson
F - Nick Blagden
F - Camaryn Baber
F - Emmett Sproule
F - Cole MacKay
F - Michael Petizian
F - Sean McGurn
F - Sam King

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 D + 3 F)
D - Oscar Plandowski
F - Jax Dubois
F - Drew Elliot
F - Peter Reynolds

RUMOURED RECRUITS (1 D + 2 F)
D - Roberto Mancini
F - Cole Huckins
F - Oliver Peer

- If everyone returns who is eligible (15 skaters) + the 4 announced recruits so far they are at 19 skaters....room to add five more skaters. As usual, have to assume they will leave a spot or two for Christmas so I see them adding, at most, four more skaters this summer.
- With the addition of Dubois and (rumoured) Huckins/Mancini...I like that they have added some size to the line-up. I don't know if I would say they were under-sized...and if so, it obviously didn't affect them...but nonetheless, having a few guys in the 6'3” range doesn't hurt.
- Big loss with McCormick going pro....a lot of offense gone from the back end with both him and Landry moving on. However I think the five returning guys are still a very, very solid group. I can see both Savoie and McGinley taking big steps this year, now that they know the league. Have to think they will for sure add another defenceman this summer (whether it be Mancini or someone else) so they go into the season with at least seven guys.
- If they can somehow bring in both Peer and Huckins that would give them 15 forwards and unmatched depth IMO. Given Peer's skating ability he seems like a perfect guy for UNB's "fast and faster" style of the play and checks off the "30 goal/70+ point" box that I thought they were missing. As mentioned before, Huckins would be a nice surprise given his draft position...not huge numbers over his junior career (EDIT - better numbers than I thought after double checking) but there has to be a reason he was a 3rd round NHL draft pick so maybe still some untapped potential there.

A forward group consisting of:
Corbeil
MacKay
Morgan
Sproule
McGurn
Petizian
Peer
Reynolds
Dubois
Huckins
Baber
Elliot
Carson
Blagden
King

is very intriguing and exciting and shouldn't have any difficulty scoring goals.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just going off of YouTube videos and what I have read, but I think Peer will be a fan favourite. I'm really excited about this addition and his potential.

Any updates on Huckins? Does that look like it will happen?

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Just going off of YouTube videos and what I have read, but I think Peer will be a fan favourite. I'm really excited about this addition and his potential.

Any updates on Huckins? Does that look like it will happen?
I tend to have zero expectations for anyone until I’ve seen them play for a while and they’ve adjusted to the league.

Hunter Tremblay and Tyler Boland were elite players and fan favourite but Geordie Wudrick , Peter Trainor and Thomas Casey (yes I know he put up numbers in the maritime bubble) didn’t really do much to write home about.

Hell you get guys like Repaci out of tier 2 who come in and end up being point a game guys in the end

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I tend to have zero expectations for anyone until I’ve seen them play for a while and they’ve adjusted to the league.

Hunter Tremblay and Tyler Boland were elite players and fan favourite but Geordie Wudrick , Peter Trainor and Thomas Casey (yes I know he put up numbers in the maritime bubble) didn’t really do much to write home about.

Hell you get guys like Repaci out of tier 2 who come in and end up being point a game guys in the end
Totally agree. UPEI essentially turned their entire roster over last year afterhosting U CUP 23 and managed to show some signs of brilliance/competitiveness throughout the season. Their roster has a mis mash of chl, tier 2 etc. Definitely finished with a better record than most expected (myself included!)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00