UNB Reds Thread (Part5)

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
How's this for a rumour heard aroud the rinks this weekend...

To the Wildcats:

Gardiner MacDougall
Rob Hennigar

To the Reds:
Josh Hepditch

Wouldn't believe it for a second, but it makes for an interesting take on things.

Guess I better learn to thrust my sources. Most of it was right. Friesen was the curveball I guess.

Reactions: Drummer

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Guess I better learn to thrust my sources. Most of it was right. Friesen was the curveball I guess.
Mmmm, they didn't get it completely right but anyone who knows anything about the Reds obviously knows Josh has past ties to UNB and the city.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Well I guess I shouldn’t have deleted this. I’d said that Hepditch was 100% moving to Fredericton and figured I’d delete it since it wasn’t from a “hockey” source so wasn’t sure it was my place or if he was even making a hockey related move lol..

Just figured I would join in on the patting of one’s own back for having good sources ! Lmao ;):razz:

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Well I guess I shouldn’t have deleted this. I’d said that Hepditch was 100% moving to Fredericton and figured I’d delete it since it wasn’t from a “hockey” source so wasn’t sure it was my place or if he was even making a hockey related move lol..

Just figured I would join in on the patting of one’s own back for having good sources ! Lmao ;):razz:
If you posted it, it's a good post.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
I might be just getting old but does anyone remember it being this late (Mid July) without any exhibition games posted? Would have thought there be at least a couple on the schedule

Sigh..likely just getting old

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
I might be just getting old but does anyone remember it being this late (Mid July) without any exhibition games posted? Would have thought there be at least a couple on the schedule

Not involving the Reds but here are 4 preseason dates to keep you entertained for a few minutes

Fri. September 13StFXSaint Mary's7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)
Fri. September 20UPEIStFX7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference) at Antigonish Arena
Sat. September 21StFXMoncton7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)
Fri. September 27Saint Mary'sStFX7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig D and AUS Fan

Craig D

Sep 5, 2019
Looks like we have Drew Elliott and Peter Reynolds confirmed for the 2024 recruiting class...coming together!!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

Not a lot yet. SFX, SMU and UdeM have a few games against each other.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
As AUS posted there is a rumour that Cole Huckins may be headed to UNB this season. That would be an unexpected surprise. Being a third round draft pick I assumed he would at least give the minors a try first.

With Reynolds that would make two Fredericton boys.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Not involving the Reds but here are 4 preseason dates to keep you entertained for a few minutes

Fri. September 13StFXSaint Mary's7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)
Fri. September 20UPEIStFX7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference) at Antigonish Arena
Sat. September 21StFXMoncton7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)
Fri. September 27Saint Mary'sStFX7:00 PM ADT
(Non-Conference)

Dalhousie @ Acadia Tues Sept 17 7:00pm also now posted for preseason

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With the confirmation of several recruits, it's a good time to look at how the 2024/2025 roster currently looks:

GONE (1 G + 2 D + 4 F)
G - Griffen Outhouse
D - Kade Landry
D - Patty Kyte
F - Austen Keating
F - Brady Gilmour
F - Jason Willms
F - Isaac Nurse

ELIGIBLE TO RETURN (2 G + 6 D + 10 F)
G - Samuel Richard
G - Tanner Somers
D - Adam McCormick
D - Kale McCallum
D - Colton Kammerer
D - Justin Nolet
D - Sam McGinley
D - Nicolas Savoie
F - Benjamin Corbeil
F - Cody Morgan
F - Macauley Carson
F - Nick Blagden
F - Camaryn Baber
F - Emmett Sproule
F - Cole MacKay
F - Michael Petizian
F - Sean McGurn
F - Sam King

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 D + 3 F)
D - Oscar Plandowski
F - Jax Dubois
F - Drew Elliot
F - Peter Reynolds

- If everyone returns who is eligible (16 skaters) + the 4 announced recruits so far they are at 20 skaters....room to add four more skaters. As usual, have to assume they will leave a spot or two for Christmas so I see them adding, at most, three more skaters this summer.
- Very curious how the goaltending situation is going to play out. I thought I had heard Somers was done as well, so they may be looking for two guys. Was really hoping they could land one of the top CHL guys to backup Richard for a year before moving into the starting role the following season but, as mentioned, the pickings are pretty slim from the CHL overage group now. Perhaps they look at a former pro ala LaCosta/Marcoux/Shantz/Carrozzi to bridge the gap for a couple years.
- If they begin the the season with those seven guys on defence I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever as it's still arguably the best group in the country. Certainly wouldn't hate adding another guy before the season starts as insurance in case injuries strike. I heard McCormick was looking at options overseas so losing him at this point in the summer would be tough. I'd like to see Nolet get regular playing time as he always seems to produce when he is in there. I know MacDougall was very high on McGinley so hopefully he takes that next step this season.
- Although I think the three forwards announced are suitable replacements for Gilmour/Willms/Nurse, I would feel a lot better about the group if they are somehow able to land that 30 goal/70+ point guy that can slot right into a top-6 role to help offset the loss of Keating. From what I can tell there are about 15 overagers who had over 70 points last season that haven't signed/committed to anyone for next season (but only 8 of them are from the Q/OHL). If not, they will have to rely on the returning guys to step up and take on a bigger role. Carson is one player in particular who I think could play himself into a bigger role. I thought it was said Sproule was having shoulder surgery after the last season...is he expected to be fully healthy for the beginning of the season? If he stays healthy for the whole season he is probably one of their top scorers, but I'm not sure how much you can rely on him having an injury-free season.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
With the confirmation of several recruits, it's a good time to look at how the 2024/2025 roster currently looks:

GONE (1 G + 2 D + 4 F)
G - Griffen Outhouse
D - Kade Landry
D - Patty Kyte
F - Austen Keating
F - Brady Gilmour
F - Jason Willms
F - Isaac Nurse

ELIGIBLE TO RETURN (2 G + 6 D + 10 F)
G - Samuel Richard
G - Tanner Somers
D - Adam McCormick
D - Kale McCallum
D - Colton Kammerer
D - Justin Nolet
D - Sam McGinley
D - Nicolas Savoie
F - Benjamin Corbeil
F - Cody Morgan
F - Macauley Carson
F - Nick Blagden
F - Camaryn Baber
F - Emmett Sproule
F - Cole MacKay
F - Michael Petizian
F - Sean McGurn
F - Sam King

CONFIRMED RECRUITS (1 D + 3 F)
D - Oscar Plandowski
F - Jax Dubois
F - Drew Elliot
F - Peter Reynolds

- If everyone returns who is eligible (16 skaters) + the 4 announced recruits so far they are at 20 skaters....room to add four more skaters. As usual, have to assume they will leave a spot or two for Christmas so I see them adding, at most, three more skaters this summer.
- Very curious how the goaltending situation is going to play out. I thought I had heard Somers was done as well, so they may be looking for two guys. Was really hoping they could land one of the top CHL guys to backup Richard for a year before moving into the starting role the following season but, as mentioned, the pickings are pretty slim from the CHL overage group now. Perhaps they look at a former pro ala LaCosta/Marcoux/Shantz/Carrozzi to bridge the gap for a couple years.
- If they begin the the season with those seven guys on defence I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever as it's still arguably the best group in the country. Certainly wouldn't hate adding another guy before the season starts as insurance in case injuries strike. I heard McCormick was looking at options overseas so losing him at this point in the summer would be tough. I'd like to see Nolet get regular playing time as he always seems to produce when he is in there. I know MacDougall was very high on McGinley so hopefully he takes that next step this season.
- Although I think the three forwards announced are suitable replacements for Gilmour/Willms/Nurse, I would feel a lot better about the group if they are somehow able to land that 30 goal/70+ point guy that can slot right into a top-6 role to help offset the loss of Keating. From what I can tell there are about 15 overagers who had over 70 points last season that haven't signed/committed to anyone for next season (but only 8 of them are from the Q/OHL). If not, they will have to rely on the returning guys to step up and take on a bigger role. Carson is one player in particular who I think could play himself into a bigger role. I thought it was said Sproule was having shoulder surgery after the last season...is he expected to be fully healthy for the beginning of the season? If he stays healthy for the whole season he is probably one of their top scorers, but I'm not sure how much you can rely on him having an injury-free season.
Somers said he’s playing in the Beausejour Senior League and working with the Timberwolves a few months ago, pretty sure he’s done with school.

McCormick would be a huge loss, I’ve heard the same rumour .

I’ve always been a huge fan of Nolet and think he could be a huge story in terms of breakout player of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 902RedIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad