Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ullmark is the most Ottawa on brand player we’ve had since Alfie

I love Ullmark, the city of Ottawa is family paradise and lots of guys who are grown up and settled down now really love the Ullmark vibes of “family first, my kids happiness above all else and let’s enjoy this hockey and take is seriously and win a Cup, but let’s remember what’s important”

After the pandemic, coming out of the Melnyck nightmare and just being an Ottawan born and bread - this to be is the on brand message that Ottawa loves. It worked with Alfie and us watching us cheer his family growing, Redden and Neil nights with their Moms, Chris Phillips and what he went though as a kid - it’s engrained in this franchise to feel small and family first and that’s hat will lead us to winning and a happy fanbase.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Very well said, best news of the season so far and what a surprise this morning ! We are set in net for the foreseeable future with a real leader. So pumped about this, tomorrow can't come soon enough, let's get this started ! Go Sens Go !!

Reactions: senswon

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is a fine contract for a top goalie that is in the prime of his career. Salary not an issue with the cap going up next year and Giroux either taking a $2-3 million reduction or off the books entirely.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
That's cold, hard fear you're seeing there.

But he hasn't even played a game yet!

His numbers aside from Boston are not really a starter's workload!

Ok, thanks for the opinions. We now have a vezina winning, real goaltender for the first time in years. Go away
It's funny. Some of those same posters were the same ones that were laughing when we didn't automatically sign him to an extension. Now that we have him extended - it's apparently a mistake lol.

I'm not sure what people expect. It's not easy to find a good NHL starter. That's why the teams that have one tend to work hard to keep them. And the Sens have struggled to find one in the post-Anderson era.

We've tried to bring in a former star that was on the downturn in hopes that he could regain his form (Murray), but that didn't work out.

We tried to bring in a goalie that put up poor numbers throughout most of his career, but finally had a breakout season (Korpisalo). That didn't work out.

We've hoped that a backup could transition into a starter (Forsberg), but that hasn't worked out.

We could wait to see if one of our prospects could pan out, but that might not work out either.

Ullmark is a proven starter that recently won a Vezina and has put up consistently solid numbers throughout his career. He was available because Boston could only keep one of him/Swayman long-term and we acquired him for a pretty decent price. Obviously there are no guarantees, but this extension seems pretty reasonable to me.

Last edited:

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
According to the main board this is a disaster because it's possible within the last few days he could have been Fred Flintstone bonked on the head and forgotten he's a goalie.
mainboard makes fun insults every top player that ever signs here saying it will be bad so im not surprised.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

1728484096766.jpeg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Wow, that's like the perfect deal. Sens get a 5 year runway and didn't have to go 8 years. I love it.

SS has solved goaltending in one season. Dorion was never able to figure that out even throwing a lot of money at it.

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
If we include this year at $5mil it works out to $7.6x5

That’s perfect.
I like that. The NHL should look at incorporating this into the cap system. If a player resigns with years left on their current contract, the new contract AAV will include those remain years. It would give teams a tool to lock up the young players before hitting those UFA years.

Last edited by a moderator:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The term is good.

We overpaid on the AAV but with where the market is going, it probably won't look like one soon.

I would expect a NMC in the first 2-3 seasons.

I would have liked if we waited until January to re-sign him, because you never know how a goalie will fit. With that said, he did look exceptional in the preseason.

Nice timing right before the season opener. I assume that is intentional. Gets the last bit of hype going to push towards a sellout. Almost like how they announced the trade right before game 7 because the league are jerks.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
First it was ooh he's going to free agency he'd never resign with the ottawa poverty franchise.

Now it's actually that he stinks and couldn't possibly sustain his numbers for 4 years and it was allll a mirage and Boston that made his numbers and he's never really been good.
Also he's forgotten everything goalie bob taught him because.... ottawa

Who they got in nets again?
They can all eat it
Real 'Bobby Ryan is just waiting out the year to sign in Philly' kinda talk.

Reactions: senswon

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
According to the main board this is a disaster because it's possible within the last few days he could have been Fred Flintstone bonked on the head and forgotten he's a goalie.

It's a fair criticism that signing a goalie to this like of contract before playing a single regular season game is risky.

With that said, I think part of it is that the AAV does seem high on paper to someone a bit behind on the times. There are multiple reasons for that, from the timing of the signing (Swayman just reset the market, the cap is going up), to the infamous Sens tax that has been mentioned by people like Friedman, where we simply have to pay more.

I think 9/10 Sens fans are thrilled with this. We haven't had a legitimate goalie in almost a decade, sans that one season where Forsberg was lights out. I think there would have been a lot of anxiety about him playing well and then leaving, which is now gone.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like that. The NHL should look at incorporating this into the cap system. If a player resigns with years left on their current contract, the new contract AAV will include those remain years. It would give teams a tool to lock up the young players before hitting those UFA years.

fixed Thanks @Micklebot

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I think this is what happens in the MLB iirc (granted they have no cap - it only applies to the luxury tax threshold)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Glad they got it done. Was hoping for 6 years 50 million but this is ok. I think its good for him too he will get another contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad