Value of: Ullmark or possibly Swayman to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Rask comes back and is in Vezina form and wants to play another 2-3 years, I'll entertain it. Until then...

Swayman has 9 games of AHL experience. Playing this year and next in the minors isn't going to hurt him.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If I'm Boston, I don't make a move on either of them unless Rask signs for a few more years to mentor and transition Swayman into the #1 role.

Rask missed some time last year here and there, and I'm not the least bit convinced he'll carry the bulk of the load the rest of the way having missed almost half a season so far.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I could see in the offseason
Draisaitl + 1st for Ullmark +Pastrnak :D
See it in what? Your dreams?

I never liked the Ullmark signing, would love to get rid of him and that contract. Rask still has some years left in him and Swayman is ready now and should be their goalie of the future, basically like Rask was to Thomas.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well the only option they have is to bury Swayman in the A. They cant send Ullmark down. What if Rask wants to play next season aswell? And the next after that? Swayman is arguably already better than Ullmark, so it feels pretty weird to send him down to the A. Especially for any longer period of time.

Then you cross that bridge in the off-season when you know what Rask wants to do.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So funny to see how Boston stucked on guy who let them down so many times (2010, 2013, 2019) and now they bring him back. Rask doesn`t deserve this kind of honor/attention

Rask number during the 2013 & 2019 cup runs were as good as Thomas in 2011 when Boston won the Cup. For all the shit Rask gets for not winning the cup in 2013 or 2019 it blow my mind no one every mentions that in the 2013 cup finals Marchand had 0G/0A/0P

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Yeah, let's blame one of the best goalies in the game. Remember that Lundqvist guy who never won a cup either?

It's stupid fans who blame him that think he should get a shutout every game
Rest of team let down Lundqvist in 2014 finals. They were outshot, and some "stars" like Nash and Brad Richards failed to score any goal against Kings

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
indulge me, Ken Holland.
Honestly not sure how Bruins fans value him. As far as I can tell he's expected to be the heir to Rask which should mean he's the real deal. I don't realistically think he's at all available but it depends entirely on what the plan is for Rask. Is he back for a couple seasons?

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Honestly not sure how Bruins fans value him. As far as I can tell he's expected to be the heir to Rask which should mean he's the real deal. I don't realistically think he's at all available but it depends entirely on what the plan is for Rask. Is he back for a couple seasons?

I don't think he's available in real life. Sweeney is very conservative and Swayman is legit. He's > 5 goals saved above expected so far this year with a 2.26 FAA and .918 sv%. He's also on an ELC for 2 more years. I don't want to trade him either.

However. The Bruins have Ullmark for 4 years either way, and without some masterful moves, they are going to be terrible for Swayman's age 26-29 ish years when he's really expensive, if he keeps it up. So I'm intrigued. Everyone knows the Oilers need goaltending and have no cap space, so lets assume he could actually be available. What do the Oilers give?

Bruins need young forwards, specifically centers, and could use a RHD. In this scenario, they take Koskinen back to ease some cap and just waive him. What goes to Boston?

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Rask number during the 2013 & 2019 cup runs were as good as Thomas in 2011 when Boston won the Cup. For all the shit Rask gets for not winning the cup in 2013 or 2019 it blow my mind no one every mentions that in the 2013 cup finals Marchand had 0G/0A/0P
After 2011 final series Marchand wasn`t good playoff performer for a long time

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
After 2011 final series Marchand wasn`t good playoff performer for a long time

Put it this way in the 2013 cup finals the Bruins scored 15 goals in 6 games. Their goals scorers....

Lucic - 4
Bergeron - 4
Paille - 2
Kelly - 2
Chara - 1
Boychuk - 1
Peverley - 1

That means guys like Krejci, Seguin, Jagr, Horton and Marchand we're held without a goal. The narrative though is that Rask is the reason Boston didn't win the cup....despite posting a .932 SV% in the series, which was better the Crawford for CHI who had a .925 SV% in the series.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I don't think he's available in real life. Sweeney is very conservative and Swayman is legit. He's > 5 goals saved above expected so far this year with a 2.26 FAA and .918 sv%. He's also on an ELC for 2 more years. I don't want to trade him either.

However. The Bruins have Ullmark for 4 years either way, and without some masterful moves, they are going to be terrible for Swayman's age 26-29 ish years when he's really expensive, if he keeps it up. So I'm intrigued. Everyone knows the Oilers need goaltending and have no cap space, so lets assume he could actually be available. What do the Oilers give?

Bruins need young forwards, specifically centers, and could use a RHD. In this scenario, they take Koskinen back to ease some cap and just waive him. What goes to Boston?
I know some on our board think we could potentially have our own Swayman in Skinner if the organization gives him a shot this year. I guess you never know.

That said, I'd offer up Bourgault and this years first. That's a blue chip center and a first. Might be late, might be higher given the way this season has gone. I know some on our board will absolutely hate it, and I'm sure there's probably some B's fans that will scoff as well. As far as RHD go, well the only roster player I could think of would be Barrie as the Oil will likely have to move him in the summer anyways. Most of the RHD prospects are of the long term variety so I doubt they have much interest even if I think a couple of them could be good players.

I have no idea if this is even a starting point or not.

Reactions: burstnbloom

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Ullamrk has NMC for 2 years, so would have to agree to a trade to *any* destination. I am starting to think that this 2 year NMC period is a clue as far as what the Bruins are thinking with regard to the their goalie situation, and that the Bruins plan all along was as follows:

Case 1. Rask surgery/rehab is a bust. Proceed with 4 years of Ullmark/Swayman with possibility of trading Ullmark once Swayman firmly establishes himself as a starter, but not sooner than 2 years.

Case 2. Rask surgery/rehab is a success. Proceed with 2 years of Rask/Ullmark, followed by 2 years of Rask/Swayman or Ullmark/Swayman if Rask declines and retires due to age/health. Again, there is a possibility of trading Ullmark after 2 years, depending on Swayman's record at the end of his ELC.

I think this is done to maximize the Cup chances, and the Ullmark contract from the very beginning account for the possibility of Rask returning, so Rask coming back changes nothing. The reason for Bs to trade Ullmark before the apparent 2 year mark would be if somehow the Cup hopes are seriously damaged. For example, if Bergeron doesn't re-sign. This plan perhaps doesn't align well with extreme prospect optimism of the HF boards, or with the needs of fantasy owners of Jeremy Swayman, but I think it's a fairly practical plan for an NHL GM.

I other words, I do not think Rask return makes either of Ullmark or Swayman available.

Reactions: Idunkmyoreos

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I know some on our board think we could potentially have our own Swayman in Skinner if the organization gives him a shot this year. I guess you never know.

That said, I'd offer up Bourgault and this years first. That's a blue chip center and a first. Might be late, might be higher given the way this season has gone. I know some on our board will absolutely hate it, and I'm sure there's probably some B's fans that will scoff as well. As far as RHD go, well the only roster player I could think of would be Barrie as the Oil will likely have to move him in the summer anyways. Most of the RHD prospects are of the long term variety so I doubt they have much interest even if I think a couple of them could be good players.

I have no idea if this is even a starting point or not.

Ya that feels good to me. I like Bourgault, though I can't see the Bruins liking him. He's got a bad 2 way rep and they famously hate those types of players. Barrie is of no interest. Interesting.

Part of me thinks trading Swayman is the best way to fix what ails this team in the near term, though it'll certainly cost them long term if he's a no 1 goalie.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Ya that feels good to me. I like Bourgault, though I can't see the Bruins liking him. He's got a bad 2 way rep and they famously hate those types of players. Barrie is of no interest. Interesting.

Part of me thinks trading Swayman is the best way to fix what ails this team in the near term, though it'll certainly cost them long term if he's a no 1 goalie.
There's definite risk both ways as XB is currently a goal scoring machine and Swayman may end up not becoming that legit #1 goalie of the future. Obviously that goes the other way too if XB can't translate it to the NHL and Swayman does indeed become that #1.

I'm starting to not care about picks and prospects at all. I know they're supremely important to sustaining a successful team but I just want to see someone within the Oilers make a ballsy ass move while it still counts. Things are already blowing up so who cares if we end up expediting the process a bit.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Just stop already. Ullmark has a NMC, Swayman needs time in AHL. Rask and Ullmark tandem is an idyllic situation and one the B's anticipated. Everything is on schedule for the B's.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
There's definite risk both ways as XB is currently a goal scoring machine and Swayman may end up not becoming that legit #1 goalie of the future. Obviously that goes the other way too if XB can't translate it to the NHL and Swayman does indeed become that #1.

I'm starting to not care about picks and prospects at all. I know they're supremely important to sustaining a successful team but I just want to see someone within the Oilers make a ballsy ass move while it still counts. Things are already blowing up so who cares if we end up expediting the process a bit.

Ya - I realize that. I would say yes to this. I just don't think that in the unlikely scenario that the B's would trade Swayman, they wouldn't want Bourgault. Still those two assets would certainly be valuable to a team looking to move a center, maybe.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Just stop already. Ullmark has a NMC, Swayman needs time in AHL. Rask and Ullmark tandem is an idyllic situation and one the B's anticipated. Everything is on schedule for the B's.
Don’t think Swayman wants to spend the next two years on a bus in Providence. If that is the case he will be the next Bruin asking to be traded.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Don’t see any reason for Boston to move on from either.

If you have Rask + Swayman, then Ullmark is redundant. You can get value assets for him while clearing 5M in cap that could be used to bring in a good skater.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Put it this way in the 2013 cup finals the Bruins scored 15 goals in 6 games. Their goals scorers....

Lucic - 4
Bergeron - 4
Paille - 2
Kelly - 2
Chara - 1
Boychuk - 1
Peverley - 1

That means guys like Krejci, Seguin, Jagr, Horton and Marchand we're held without a goal. The narrative though is that Rask is the reason Boston didn't win the cup....despite posting a .932 SV% in the series, which was better the Crawford for CHI who had a .925 SV% in the series.
and vs STL they were all but handing him the series MVP until game 7, and that's more because ROR was just incredible and STL won

Reactions: ON3M4N

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad