GDT: UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Mir

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I didn't even know Bosse had retired before getting the call from the UFC. Good for him, he could make a little coin over the next few years if he stays healthy. Dana and co love their bangers.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Magny!

Lombard was done after the barrage in the first round. That ref made him take so much unnecessary punishment as well. Such a terrible job.

Agreed. Can't believe they didn't stop it in the second after he ate 40+ shots with no response. That was the literal definition of not fighting back and was brutal.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Two judges had the last fight 20-18 for Case going into the third so Matthews would have lost if he didn't get the late finish. I'm glad he really went for it.

I figured it was 20-18 for Matthews or maybe 19-19.

I had Case winning the first two rounds as well, so I felt bad for him that he got caught in a bad spot in the third.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the Jones vs Cormier rivalry is just amazing. deep down, i want Cormier to win, just so we can have a 3rd fight and more trash talk from them

That's because Jones is a really awful person once the cameras aren't rolling. Hell, he's barely tolerable when they are. Agreed about wanting DC to win so there's a third fight. It's a great rivalry, at least during the press conferences.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Okay, Kelly. Pretty impressive after how that first round went. He was a pretty big underdog.

That was a fun fight, and showed exactly why ground control without doing much punishment does very little to help you win. It's great you got the guy down and controlled him, but what did it really do for you? Kelly got dominated that first round but carried the rest of the fight, and easily.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Did Frank Mir even train for this fight? He's looked like an overweight blob out there. What a terrible performance, well I don't even know if you can call it a "performance" since he didn't strike at all.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not surprised Carlos Jr lost - he was never that impressive on TUF Brazil 2, Alves was the prime prospect off the show. As for the "Shoeface" thing, it's his nickname. An old coach gave it to him.

Fun fights. I read that no judges gave any 10-8 rounds in Magny/Lombard.. absolutely ridiculous.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
Did Frank Mir even train for this fight? He's looked like an overweight blob out there. What a terrible performance, well I don't even know if you can call it a "performance" since he didn't strike at all.

Yeah he looked tired after 30 seconds.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

His attempts at level changing were absolutely ugly. Seriously, Mir seems to always get this huge push from the UFC as "the most well rounded guy" in the HW division, when in reality, he's not a great wrestler, his striking, while improved, is still sloppy, and his BJJ is pretty much non existent since he can't get guys to the ground anymore.. Time to hang em up, being over the hill in the HW division is bad for your health.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It feels like all the HW guys have all fought each other before. Don't know where Hunt goes from here. If Cain goes with Browne, Stipe and the champ, Arlovski and Horsemeat, Rothwell and JDS, who's left? Who am I missing the HW division?

Maybe the winner of one of those fights.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
940961_1101309349914094_2849662457903482325_n.jpg

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Amusing how much talk there is about Mir looking like a blob during a fight where he's standing across from Hunt. Both of them seem to have terrible discipline when it comes to nutrition. Maybe Mir isn't on the Brock Lesnar supplement diet anymore.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Mir has looked like that for a bunch of his fights recently. His biggest issue is wanting to stand and trade with everyone and not take it to the ground.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Amusing how much talk there is about Mir looking like a blob during a fight where he's standing across from Hunt. Both of them seem to have terrible discipline when it comes to nutrition. Maybe Mir isn't on the Brock Lesnar supplement diet anymore.

Mir had a pot belly that was hanging over his hips though. It was very Roy nelsonesque. didn't see that on hunt. That's not saying hunt is a physical specimen or anything though lol

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Obviously Hunts never been in amazing shape. But he looked like he was probably the best shape he's ever been in, that was his biggest weakness he said he focused on coming into this fight.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Obviously Hunts never been in amazing shape. But he looked like he was probably the best shape he's ever been in, that was his biggest weakness he said he focused on coming into this fight.

Focused on fitness? There still seems to be zero focus on nutrition.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

How can you even compare the 2?

Hunt has the shape of a fat man who limits it by keeping himself in shape. Frank Mir went from being a HW fighting at 230 with a full-on six pack to having huge handles and barely no muscle on him. He's NEVER looked this out of shape in the octogone, he was starting to gas out just by moving around. His non existent game plan is also evidence he took his camp very lightly.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
How can you even compare the 2?

Hunt has the shape of a fat man who limits it by keeping himself in shape. Frank Mir went from being a HW fighting at 230 with a full-on six pack to having huge handles and barely no muscle on him. He's NEVER looked this out of shape in the octogone, he was starting to gas out just by moving around. His non existent game plan is also evidence he took his camp very lightly.

I'm comparing it only to say it's kinda weird the focus is on Mir's condition when he's fighting a guy that has looked way worse for way longer.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Focused on fitness? There still seems to be zero focus on nutrition.

Focused on nutrition and being healthier coming into fights. I didn't realize you monitor what he eats and how he's been training as of late. He'd be the first to admit it was his biggest problem, and he's made strides to fix that, considering he didn't have to cut 20-30lbs the week of the fight, I think it's working. I still don't really get what you're getting at because mark has always looked like this (usually worst), whereas Frank at one point was pretty ripped.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Mir has looked like that for a bunch of his fights recently. His biggest issue is wanting to stand and trade with everyone and not take it to the ground.

Based on his last 2 fight. I would disagree. It's more like he wants to Stand and Evade :laugh: He showing zero offensive output on the feet these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad