GDT: UFC 305: du Plessis vs. Adesanya/PFL 8

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
I am down for anyone but Strickland getting next. Sure, the fight with Dricus was close, but Sean's only win since is a split decision over Costa who is 1-4 over the past five years and only himself beat a completely washed Rockhold in that time.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I am down for anyone but Strickland getting next. Sure, the fight with Dricus was close, but Sean's only win since is a split decision over Costa who is 1-4 over the past five years and only himself beat a completely washed Rockhold in that time.

In all fairness I recall it being a comfortable victory for Strickland and no way that should have been a split decision.

Reactions: Avs_19 and Nakatomi

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tbf to Strickland that 49-46 Costa may also be a contender for worst scorecard in recent memory (up there with Tuivasa tonight and the one judge scoring Chito over Sandhagen)

Agreed though, if Khamzat wins I’d easily give him the shot over Strickland

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-08-19-13-31-21~2.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe completely random but I'd like to see Izzy fight someone like Reyes or Volkan at 205. I doubt it'd happen because it might be seen as too big of a step back but I feel that's the right type of fight for him. Leave 185 behind for the time being and try to make a run at 205. They might even give him another title shot right away if he wins that fight with the way things are going at 205.

Could also do him vs Jiri/Hill and that might be more realistic with the way him and UFC will likely try to approach any move up.

Reactions: Taytro

Nakatomi

Dec 26, 2022
If Strickland wins the rematch, do you think they'd immediately go for the trilogy rubber match or tell DDP he has to get another win before his crack at the belt again? Not that consistency is valued by the UFC, but Strickland lost in his first defense and Dricus won. Maybe it just comes down to how close the fight is. Though I can't imagine it is that different from their first match-up.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If Strickland wins the rematch, do you think they'd immediately go for the trilogy rubber match or tell DDP he has to get another win before his crack at the belt again? Not that consistency is valued by the UFC, but Strickland lost in his first defense and Dricus won. Maybe it just comes down to how close the fight is. Though I can't imagine it is that different from their first match-up.

I think they will try and move on. Unless it is a long reigning champion then there shouldn't be immediate rematches. Usman made sense because he was winning the fight against Edwards comfortably until he got knocked out in the 5th round. And he had been a long time champion.

Although I guess an immediate rematch can depend on a variety of factors. How did the champ lose? How long was the fighter a champ? How popular were they? How much bad blood is there between the former champ and new champ? Are there viable new contenders? etc. etc.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If it’s as meh as the 1st one they’ll probably move along, if it’s a good fight I could see an immediate rubber match

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I really think aura can be a real thing. Adesanya's not super old. I don't think he's lost anything, and I wouldn't say guys in the division have gotten THAT much better. I think what he did to Costa made guys take a step back. Costa just came from winning an absolute war with one of the scariest dudes around, and Adesanya made him cower like a scared child.

It's the Silva effect. I really think some guys went into their fights with Adesanya already defeated. I know I probably harp on this too much, but Adesanya barely beat Gastelum. We're talking about a mediocre 170 pounder. Strickland said as much the other day (yes I realize Strickland says a lot).

Jan made people realize Adesanya was pretty beatable. Adesanya followed that with three straight decisions. Fighters see that and the narrative changes to, "I'm better than those guys, I could beat Adesanya".

It wasn't that long ago that Adesanya was a bell save away from beating Pereira once, and flatlining him in the rematch. He could still do that to anyone in the division.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This is kind of how I figured that Izzy would eventually lose. A guy that can strike well enough, but is also a really good grappler. I definitely did and still maybe am underrating Strickland, but that loss is still a bit head scratching for me. DDP making him grapple, worry about grappling, and catching him with a shot makes more sense.

DDP's ability to look completely gassed and still stay in the fight is something else :laugh:

I really think aura can be a real thing. Adesanya's not super old. I don't think he's lost anything, and I wouldn't say guys in the division have gotten THAT much better. I think what he did to Costa made guys take a step back. Costa just came from winning an absolute war with one of the scariest dudes around, and Adesanya made him cower like a scared child.

It's the Silva effect. I really think some guys went into their fights with Adesanya already defeated. I know I probably harp on this too much, but Adesanya barely beat Gastelum. We're talking about a mediocre 170 pounder. Strickland said as much the other day (yes I realize Strickland says a lot).

Jan made people realize Adesanya was pretty beatable. Adesanya followed that with three straight decisions. Fighters see that and the narrative changes to, "I'm better than those guys, I could beat Adesanya".

It wasn't that long ago that Adesanya was a bell save away from beating Pereira once, and flatlining him in the rematch. He could still do that to anyone in the division.
I agree overall, but when it comes to the Gastelum fight, the aura thing works in the other direction, too. People were still very much doubting how good he was after only beating Brunson and old-man Anderson. I don't think he even really got the aura until he beat Whittaker the first time.

I think in general, the gap between the best guy and the next best guys is usually not as big as fans start to believe. Once they lose, it's "Of course. We should have seen that coming." Even with someone like Islam, if/when he loses to Arman :)naughty:), people will say "Of course. Arman nearly beat him last time when he was very young."

When it comes to Izzy specifically, I think he still beats most of the division, but he is also 35 at MW after a very long combat sports career. It's very possible this is the beginning of an ugly end to a fantastic career.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
This is kind of how I figured that Izzy would eventually lose. A guy that can strike well enough, but is also a really good grappler. I definitely did and still maybe am underrating Strickland, but that loss is still a bit head scratching for me. DDP making him grapple, worry about grappling, and catching him with a shot makes more sense.

DDP's ability to look completely gassed and still stay in the fight is something else :laugh:

I agree overall, but when it comes to the Gastelum fight, the aura thing works in the other direction, too. People were still very much doubting how good he was after only beating Brunson and old-man Anderson. I don't think he even really got the aura until he beat Whittaker the first time.

I think in general, the gap between the best guy and the next best guys is usually not as big as fans start to believe. Once they lose, it's "Of course. We should have seen that coming." Even with someone like Islam, if/when he loses to Arman :)naughty:), people will say "Of course. Arman nearly beat him last time when he was very young."

When it comes to Izzy specifically, I think he still beats most of the division, but he is also 35 at MW after a very long combat sports career. It's very possible this is the beginning of an ugly end to a fantastic career.

He's the next mythical fighter, gassed Du Plessis

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad