Middleweight bout: Sean Strickland vs. Alex Pereira
Welterweight bout: Robbie Lawler vs. Bryan Barberena
Bantamweight bout: Pedro Munhoz vs. Sean O'Malley

PRELIMINARY CARD (ABC)

Lightweight bout: Brad Riddell vs. Jalin Turner
Welterweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Donald Cerrone
Welterweight bout: Ian Garry vs. Gabriel Green
Middleweight bout: Brad Tavares vs. Dricus du Plessis

EARLY PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, UFC Fight Pass)

Middleweight bout: Uriah Hall vs. Andre Muniz
Woman's Flyweight bout: Jessica Eye vs. Maycee Barber
Women's Bantamweight bout: Jessica-Rose Clark vs. Julija Stoliarenko

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1656350147414.png

Date: July 1, 2022
Venue: Overtime Elite Arena
City: Atlanta, Georgia
Time: 8 pm ET/5 pm PT
Viewing: ESPN/ESPN+

MAIN CARD (ESPN)

Women's Lightweight bout: Kayla Harrison vs. Kaitlin Young
Welterweight bout: Rory MacDonald vs. Sadibou Sy
Welterweight bout: Ray Cooper III vs. Brett Cooper
Welterweight bout: Magomed Magomedkerimov vs. Joao Zeferino

PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+)

Welterweight bout: Jarrah Al Silawi vs. Magomed Umalatov
Women's Lightweight bout: Genah Fabian vs. Larissa Pacheco
Welterweight bout: Gleison Tibau vs. Nikolai Aleksakhin
Women's Lightweight bout: Marina Mokhnatkina vs. Abigail Montes
Women's Lightweight bout: Martina Jindrova vs. Zamzagul Fayzallanova
Women's Lightweight bout: Olena Kolesnyk vs. Vanessa Melo​

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
UFC main card only has 4 fights listed because they haven't said yet what's being moved up to the main card now that Murphy has COVID. Will update once they do.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ray Cooper looked so unbelievably bad last fight after being arguably one of the best fighters outside of the UFC for a little bit

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Anyone done the UFC Expo before? Just wondering if it's worth going to. Doesn't seem that interesting to me based on what I can tell.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Sean Strickland vs. Alex Pereira is the most interesting fight on the main card imo.

I see both champs retaining.

Hopefully Munhoz beats O'Malley.

Prelims look pretty solid. Will probably be better than the main card.

Reactions: Moncherry

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will start with the PFL stuff. Won't be around to see this one unfortunately.

Having Kaitlin Young fight Kayla Harrison is f***ing embarrassing for PFL. This is a career .500 fighter coming off back-to-back losses who has no business being in the cage with Harrison. Complete joke that this fight is happening.

The WW fights are fun though. As @CDJ mentioned above it will be interesting what Ray Cooper we get. Not sure if it's the guy who looked like he should be a ranked UFC guy or the knock-off version we got last time that looked like he's been hanging out with Jake Collier for 6 months.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Will start with the PFL stuff. Won't be around to see this one unfortunately.

Having Kaitlin Young fight Kayla Harrison is f***ing embarrassing for PFL. This is a career .500 fighter coming off back-to-back losses who has no business being in the cage with Harrison. Complete joke that this fight is happening.

The WW fights are fun though. As @CDJ mentioned above it will be interesting what Ray Cooper we get. Not sure if it's the guy who looked like he should be a ranked UFC guy or the knock-off version we got last time that looked like he's been hanging out with Jake Collier for 6 months.

Lol @ the Jake Collier remark, you aren’t wrong. I saw him and immediately knew my parlay was f***ed. Never seen such a dip in talent so fast. Looked like a regional guy.

I think Harrison was supposed to get Julia Budd but Budd pulled out. That might have been her most interesting fight yet imo. Now we get the tomato can as filler

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Going to Vegas, still deciding if I should go to this card or just hang out by the pool then catch it at a bar. Will probably just wander down towards and see what kind of tickets I can grab for cheap. If anyone has a good Vegas spot to watch fights I'd appreciate the recommendation or shoot me a message. Or even better, a hook-up for cheap tickets.

I know we've seen a few guys drop out, but what a f***ing card in terms of depth. I don't know when the last time we've seen a prelim card like this - maybe back to UFC 205? Pretty much the entire card is must see for 7 hours. You've got a good PPV & a great Fight Night all rolled into one.

Du Plessis is a sneaky great prospect who has had a bad run here of fights getting cancelled. Tavares is the perfect fight for him to see where he stands.

Barber/Eye is great match-making as well.

Hall vs Muniz is the fight that seems insane that it's buried on the early prelims like this. Another fight that co-headlines on many recent fight nights and it seems likely to have a finish. Old-school striker v grappler.

Don't know much about Gabriel Green, but his losses have been to tough guys so it's a decent test for Ian Garry.

Cool seeing Cowboy v Miller, but Jim Miller has actually been decent lately and is the one of the two that looks like he's still a UFC fighter. I do think Cowboy has a bit of an advantage since he's fought at 170 in the past and this will all just be extra weight for Miller. Wouldn't surprise me if Miller comes in a bit light for weigh-ins, even. Will be cheering for Cerrone as usual and hope I'm wrong.. but I expect Miller to win here.

Riddell v Jalin Turner seems like to be the FOTN and is the perfect lead-in for the PPV.

Barberena and Lawler should put on a sloppy mess of a fight. I don't know who wins and I'm not sure it really matters.

I like O'Malley to beat Munhoz as long as he can keep his range. I'm not overly high on O'Malley yet as I think he's going to struggle against anyone who can push the pace and bully him.. but Munhoz hasn't looked great against decent competition in recent years and doesn't look like that guy anymore. There is definitely a path for Munhoz here, but he just has to look better than he has recently.

I don't know enough about Pereira at this point to really comment about him vs Strickland, just going to sit back and see what happens.

Nothing left to say about Volkanovski/Max at this point.

For the main event, Cannonier is a guy that I've long thought presented some problems to Adesanya if they got to this point. He is extremely strong for a 185er. He could grind him against the cage, take him down, and do work from the top. But it just really, really depends on his mindset here. We have seen Romero & Costa go in here as the bigger stronger guy and then just be so tentative when it counts. Will Cannonier do the same?

I don't know. Cannonier is just wired kind of differently and I think it might be a good thing in a big fight like this. I don't think he'll get scared and overthink it. He's not afraid to take a shot if it means he can advance position. He's going to compete in there on Saturday and I think he will either win the title or come very, very close.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Gabe Green a lot, he’s a solid boxer. Wouldn’t shock me if he upsets Garry

Yeah his only losses the last 5 years have been to Daniel Rodriguez and Jalin Turner. Really tough test for Garry.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm on vacation off the grid for a couple of weeks, so I won't see this one live. I'm not sorry to miss it because I really need a vacation, but it sucks it's such a good one.

Cannonier could get steamrolled, but weirdly I think he also presents the biggest threat to Izzy at 185 we've seen. Maybe Romero. As good as Whittaker is, Izzy's a tough guy to outmaneuver for 5 rounds. I think it's going to take someone that can do something fight altering and Cannonier has that type of power. Izzy knows that, though, so he might stay on the outside, throw leg kicks, and wait to counter. It kind of has that feel where it will be intriguing to watch it live because the threat of the big bomb landing, but might end up where not a whole lot happens and you never watch it again.

The only thing I would say about Volk-Max 3 is it will be interesting to see if Max adds any other elements to his gameplan. We saw him mix in the wrestling against Yair. Maybe he does that here? I don't think he'll be able to control Volk or anything, but it might be enough to keep him guessing a little bit more. Just playing the chess game hasn't worked twice now. Gotta do something different.

I hope Pereira wins. I don't particularly like Strickland and setting up the Izzy fight would be awesome. Strickland is good, but I think he's too stiff and not dynamic enough for someone like Pereira...or at least what I think Pereira is. Hard to say given how little we've seen him and against much lower level competition.

Munhoz is a solid fighter, but his resume hasn't aged well. Kind of makes you wonder how good he really is. He's still probably a top 15 guy, though, so it's a good test for O'Malley and he is a respected enough name that it gives him a pretty big boost in terms of legitimacy if he can get the win.

Robbie-Barberena is going to turn into every other Barberena fight. Like the Brown fight, I'm just not sure I want to see an old washed guy take that much damage.

Cowboy-Miller is one of the rare fun, appropriate fights we get to see with 2 aging names. Miller has certainly looked better than Cowboy as of late, but his last 2 opponents don't have Wiki pages. Losing to Morono definitely erased the "well, he's been fighting really good guys" excuse for Cowboy, but Morono is still better than the guys Miller has been fighting. Whatever, we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it's Cowboy's last ride one way or another.

Riddell-Turner, Hall-Muniz, Eye-Barber, and Tavarez-du Plessis are all interesting fights one way or another, too, but I don't have any opinions or comments to add.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Cannonier could get steamrolled, but weirdly I think he also presents the biggest threat to Izzy at 185 we've seen. Maybe Romero. As good as Whittaker is, Izzy's a tough guy to outmaneuver for 5 rounds. I think it's going to take someone that can do something fight altering and Cannonier has that type of power. Izzy knows that, though, so he might stay on the outside, throw leg kicks, and wait to counter. It kind of has that feel where it will be intriguing to watch it live because the threat of the big bomb landing, but might end up where not a whole lot happens and you never watch it again.
Really because I think this is easily the weakest contender Izzy will have fought thus far.

Also the UFC moved Munhoz up to #9 in the rankings, despite having lost his last 2 fights and 4 of the last 5. I wonder why.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really because I think this is easily the weakest contender Izzy will have fought thus far.

Also the UFC moved Munhoz up to #9 in the rankings, despite having lost his last 2 fights and 4 of the last 5. I wonder why.

I think you might have a case on paper or resume that Cannonier the 2nd weakest contender. The weakest one though is probably Gastelum who gave Adesanya his toughest fight, so it just shows that maybe that doesn't matter.

As for Munhoz, it was just a 1 spot move from 10 to 9 (he flipped with Song Yadong). You see this kind of thing all the time where guys flip a spot with another guy even though neither fought and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I don't think they're doing anything shady - the 9 v 10 spot is rather inconsequential. If your point though is why is Munhoz ahead of Song Yadong - great question. He shouldn't be.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I think you might have a case on paper or resume that Cannonier the 2nd weakest contender. The weakest one though is probably Gastelum who gave Adesanya his toughest fight, so it just shows that maybe that doesn't matter.

As for Munhoz, it was just a 1 spot move from 10 to 9 (he flipped with Song Yadong). You see this kind of thing all the time where guys flip a spot with another guy even though neither fought and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I don't think they're doing anything shady - the 9 v 10 spot is rather inconsequential. If your point though is why is Munhoz ahead of Song Yadong - great question. He shouldn't be.
I was referring to opponents he defended against, didn't have Gastelum in mind.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

If it's a fight won on skill, Izzy will win. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. As I said, it's entirely possible Izzy walks right through him.

But Cannonier's power is a unique challenge for Izzy at 185. You're not going to out skill Izzy, so it's going to take big moments that either gets him out of there or steals rounds. Romero is the only one he's fought at 185 with that type of power and frankly Romero just didn't show up in their fight. I think Cannonier will, win or lose.

I wouldn't bet on it happening, but there's a path to victory for Cannonier.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I totally get the reservations regarding Cannonier. You could probably look at his resume and argue that he's lost to every top guy he's fought (Glover, Jan, Whittaker, Reyes) and his best wins are against the next tier down like Brunson & Gastelum.

If he gets hesistant like Romero & Costa did against Izzy and doesn't press forward I think he is going to get smashed in there.

I just have a feeling Cannonier is going to be at his best this week and will make it competitive and win at least a couple of rounds.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If it's a fight won on skill, Izzy will win. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. As I said, it's entirely possible Izzy walks right through him.

But Cannonier's power is a unique challenge for Izzy at 185. You're not going to out skill Izzy, so it's going to take big moments that either gets him out of there or steals rounds. Romero is the only one he's fought at 185 with that type of power and frankly Romero just didn't show up in their fight. I think Cannonier will, win or lose.

I wouldn't bet on it happening, but there's a path to victory for Cannonier.
Hardly. Cannonier doesn't pose any more danger to Izzy than Costa or Whittaker did in that regard.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hardly. Cannonier doesn't pose any more danger to Izzy than Costa or Whittaker did in that regard.
Whittaker is one of my favorite fighters, but he's not a heavy puncher. He's won 4 of 14 fights at MW by (T)KO. Cannonier's won 4 of 6 fights at MW by (T)KO. It's not close. He has as many KO's in less than half the amount of fights. The guy that used to fight at LHW and HW definitely has more power than the guy that used to fight at WW.

I'm not fooled by Costa smashing a bunch of cans on his way up. His only somewhat legit KO was Hall and that was much more of a barrage of punches than any type of one punch KO power. Look at Cannonier's highlights. His KO's are mostly one shot punches that drop the guy and then he follows up with vicious G&P.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
We're talking about two different things. You are focusing more on the pure power in their strikes while I'm referring to the ability to KO Izzy. That's fine, it's immaterial anyway.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Max a little testy at the press conference. I don't know if he's trying to hype himself up or try to get Volk mad and drawn into a war. I don't know about the former, but if it's the latter, I don't think it worked.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Will be tuning in early for this one. Even the early prelims look good.

member 51464

lol, Strickland is a moron and him and Israel talking trash was so stupid funny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad